U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,936,385 times
Reputation: 465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Jesus Christ told his disciples that this generation shall not end before we see his manifestation and the manifestation of all the signs he rolled out in Mathew 24:4-34. The generation of Jesus Christ must have ended in 2001, a Bibilical generation is 2000 years. It means then that he has come even though we may not know him since he will not answer the previous name Jesus (Rev 3:12). Now if he has come, he would be with us as we match to the end of the current state of things, the change over from the doctrine of men to the kingdom and doctrine of God.
Jesus said "this generation shall not pass away till all be fullfilled". Generation meaning "account". Just as in "These are the generations of the heavens and the earth" in Genesis. It is not a number of years, but an historical account of what happened in Genesis and with Jesus' prophesy an account of what will happen in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Why do Christians still expect him from the sky? Did the angels not confirm that he would come back in a human form, the form he left (Acts 1:11) and Rev 12:5? Did God glorify angels or any spirit apart from man (Gen 1:26-28) (Heb 1:13)? Man is to rule in this world and the Son of man must rule as man, not as angel (Heb 1:5-7). The difference between him and us is that all authority and powers and angels would be under his command. Our task is to unearth the corner of the world where this being with all powers now reside!
Yes he will come back in human form, but in the nature that he left. The angels said that "Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11)

And: "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." (Matt 24:30)

We expect Jesus from the sky because that is what the bible repeatedly says!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
But remember that as was in days of Noah, so shall it be in the days of the Son of Man. He shall suffer many things and be rejected by men (Luke 1724-26)!
Jesus did suffer many things and was rejected of men. And when he returns it will be like the times of Noah when people were giving and taking in marriage. So, life will be going on and most people will not even be aware of his return until it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,050,792 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus0 View Post
I have to disagree here. Jesus did not say that some would see what His Kingdom would be like. He stated that

"Some who ARE standing here, WILL SEE the Son of man COMING IN HIS KINGDOM".

There is nothing in the scripture to suggest that it was an example of how His Kingdom would be like. In Fact, everything in the scripture grammatically and logically state that some who were alive then would witness the "second appearing" of Christ.

Remember also that Jesus Himself stated the same thing when He was before the sanhedrin.

Matthew 26

64"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."


Jesus is not addressing a sanhedrin or an audience for that matter 2000+ years later. He is talking to the sanhedrin who was sitting in front of Him and stated that they would see Him come on the clouds of heaven(second appearing.)

Anyone who heard Christ's own words would never had thought He was talking about an example of His Kingdom would come nor that Him coming on the clouds of heaven was for the 21st Century.

Every scholar whether secular or Christian has a problem with Christ's own words if it was meant for the 21st Century. The very statement is plainly seen for the audience that heard Him state that they would witness the Kingdom of God come and Christ coming on the clouds of heaven.

If Jesus meant an example of His Kingdom would be witnessed He would not have stated the scripture the way He did. If He meant that those standing before Him would witness His coming in His Kingdom He would have worded His statement exactly as He did. Same thing with the sanhedrin, if He meant that they would actually see Him coming on the clouds of heaven He would have worded it exactly as He did.

Both these scriptures do not convey any other thought but that those standing before Him would witness His coming on the clouds of His Kingdom.

Those in the secular world are incorrect in their thinking about Jesus being the Son of God(non-believers) but they are correct in their taking of the grammar Jesus stated Himself. Their thinking is correct in stating that Jesus did state those in His direct audience WOULD witness His return on the clouds in His Kingdom. They simply believe it is wrong because it never physically happened in the time Jesus said it would.

Why do they get this idea?

Simply because Christ gave that idea and anyone who heard it would have come to the same conclusion. Most Christian scholars today dance around that issue and state that Jesus did not mean what He said because obviously it didn't physically happen and therefore think that it it warranted to suddenly change the meaning of Christ's words.

Jesus was clear that His coming in His Kingdom was for the 1st Century. There is no reason that He gave to believe otherwise. What I am proposing is that Christ did mean what He said and did not mean to convey a different thought, or an audience 2000+ years later. Jesus actually meant what He said. He wasn't fooling around, if He meant the 21st Century He would have stated it in a way that no one got the impression they were the ones to witness His coming.

If we believe the very words of Christ and it doesn't fit with the way we believe it would happen(physically) we must search and see what the Old Testament says about His comings before. In other words we cannot change the words of Christ with our understanding of how it would happen but rather we must change our understanding of how it would happen based on Christ's own words that it would happen to those that witnessed His statements. I believe that the Old Testament is clear that God's comings in times before were not physical and never were. Otherwise there are numerous comings in Isaiah, Nahum, Amos etc. that are not fulfilled yet because they were never physical and yet those empires prophecied against do not exist today such as Babylon, Edom, Nineveh etc.

I am curious to see what grammar in the verses I quoted to you do you see anything to suggest that Jesus had another audience in mind when He stated the prophecies?

We can only talk from our own perspective. There is a perspective of man and a perspective of God. God sees light years ahea, we see what is ahead of us. When Christ talks, (Soon, later, very soon etc),he talks from his own perspective for he is God. That is why Rev states that the the testimony of jesus is the spirit of prophecy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,050,792 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Jesus said "this generation shall not pass away till all be fullfilled". Generation meaning "account". Just as in "These are the generations of the heavens and the earth" in Genesis. It is not a number of years, but an historical account of what happened in Genesis and with Jesus' prophesy an account of what will happen in the future.



Yes he will come back in human form, but in the nature that he left. The angels said that "Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11)

And: "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." (Matt 24:30)

We expect Jesus from the sky because that is what the bible repeatedly says!



Jesus did suffer many things and was rejected of men. And when he returns it will be like the times of Noah when people were giving and taking in marriage. So, life will be going on and most people will not even be aware of his return until it happens.
Note the underlined.

1. See the "sign" of the Son of man, not see the "son" of man - two different things. The sign of the Son of man cannot be same as seeing the man descend from heaven. Let me ask, if he descends would he descend on your property or mine? or will he remain suspended in the air for people to "rapture" and meet him. Whats the point? What had happened since God made man in the garden. Why take such a tourtous route to correct the devil's plan? No, sir, it does not fit, it is a doctrine of men, not of God.

2. Coming in the clouds of heaven is a spiritual language. Christ himself said "I came down from heaven", did he not come from heaven? Did you or anyone see him come? Was it not the spirit that made mary pregnant? Did Mary know? He came spiritually, as heaven is a spiritual existence not physical. There is no physical planet up there called heaven. Ok? The clouds of heaven means the power from above, it is a way of demonstrating the power that will be his in his 2nd advent.

3. Christ himself gave us a guiding parable. The parable of the wicked husbandsmen. Read about it in Mathew 21:33 -44, it is self explanatory. To prove to you that Christ did not want you in the sky, read also mathew 19:28

4. If he scheduled to come back from heaven, the angles would not have asked "Why stand ye gazing into the sky?" The questioning alone confirms it aint happening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,936,385 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Note the underlined.

1. See the "sign" of the Son of man, not see the "son" of man - two different things. The sign of the Son of man cannot be same as seeing the man descend from heaven. Let me ask, if he descends would he descend on your property or mine? or will he remain suspended in the air for people to "rapture" and meet him. Whats the point? What had happened since God made man in the garden. Why take such a tourtous route to correct the devil's plan? No, sir, it does not fit, it is a doctrine of men, not of God.
There will be his sign in the clouds. And he will come in the clouds. That is why the angels in Acts 1:11 said "he will come in like manner. He will not descend on my property or yours. He will come to his world.

Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Matt 26:64_

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. (Mark 13:26)

And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Mark 14:62)

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. (Rev 1:7)

We will meet him in the air, who are Christians:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1 Thes 4:17)

And: "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. (1 Cor 15:51-53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
2. Coming in the clouds of heaven is a spiritual language. Christ himself said "I came down from heaven", did he not come from heaven? Did you or anyone see him come? Was it not the spirit that made mary pregnant? Did Mary know? He came spiritually, as heaven is a spiritual existence not physical. There is no physical planet up there called heaven. Ok? The clouds of heaven means the power from above, it is a way of demonstrating the power that will be his in his 2nd advent.
Then where did Elijah go when he was caught up in the whirlwind? and where did Jesus go when he assended to the Father? You cannot pick and chose your doctrine from the bible, what verses suit your pet theology. It is written "All scripture is for doctrine and reproof and correction..." What part of All don't you understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
3. Christ himself gave us a guiding parable. The parable of the wicked husbandsmen. Read about it in Mathew 21:33 -44, it is self explanatory. To prove to you that Christ did not want you in the sky, read also mathew 19:28
Matt 21:33 was about Christ the heir to the kingdom. He was speaking against those who kept his kingdom in Isreal and yet wanted to destroy him because he was the heir and they wanted Jesus' kingdom. Jesus was the heir to the throne of David!

Matt 19:28 is refering to the 12 thrones that the desciple will sit on and Judge along side Jesus' throne. I don't understand how this is saying that he will NOT come from the clouds??? Jesus will have an kingdom established on this earth. It is called the millenial reign. When we meet him in the sky we are not going to just sit floating around all day! We are going to return to earth and reign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
4. If he scheduled to come back from heaven, the angles would not have asked "Why stand ye gazing into the sky?" The questioning alone confirms it aint happening!
It's not that it ain't happening! It was just not happening at that moment! And they did comfirm that he would return in like manner! You got to read what the bible says, not what you want it to say!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
 
118 posts, read 148,334 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
We can only talk from our own perspective. There is a perspective of man and a perspective of God. God sees light years ahea, we see what is ahead of us. When Christ talks, (Soon, later, very soon etc),he talks from his own perspective for he is God. That is why Rev states that the the testimony of jesus is the spirit of prophecy!
The problem with this idea is that if he is only stating things that he understands then God really doesn't want us to understand when He states prophecy. Every time God states a specific time text we cannot trust Him. Why? Because He is using language that we as humans understand meaning what they clearly mean as "soon" near" "about to happen" as exactly that but yet they do not mean what they say. In fact they are lies since we understand them to mean something totally different then what He wanted to convey.

If we go under this assumption that "soon" "near" about to happen" doesn't mean exactly that but rather can mean thousands of years then if we do this even once then everytime God states time texts in scripture we cannot believe them because that is the meaning.

Is this wise?

When God states that He took 6 days to create the world then the plain meaning of the text is 6 days. But, under the assumption that this is only from God's perspective 6 days can mean 6000 years.

This is very dangerous since we now cannot trust God that He means what He says in a way that we can understand. How about those jews that were exiled to Babylon after Jerusalem's destruction by Nebuchadnezzar. God stated that He would restore them to their home in 70 years. If this does not mean 70 years and rather 70,000 years what comfort was this prophecy to those that heard it? It was actually a slap in the face. Also, it has not been 70,000 years yet so Israel is not in her homeland for another 67,800 years. What comfort was there in that?

You understand. If we go by this assumption even once, we must question every time text given in the entire Bible as not meaning the plain rendering of it because only God can understand it. How about we we pray and we are in financial trouble and God states I will deliver you soon. If this is from God's perspective God is fooling with us since He may not take care of us since "I will deliver you soon" does not mean what He says.

I don't believe this is prudent since I believe God when He says 6 days to create creation, 70 years to restore Israel in the Babylonian captivety, He will soon deliver me from my financial trouble, and in Matthew 24, Luke 21, Mark 13 and Revelation I believe that God meant it would happen soon to those that first heard His words of victory.

If God meant thousands of years later He would have clearly said so, not undermining every other time text in scripture with something that did not mean what it plainly said.

Do you see the problem with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,050,792 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus0 View Post
The problem with this idea is that if he is only stating things that he understands then God really doesn't want us to understand when He states prophecy. Every time God states a specific time text we cannot trust Him. Why? Because He is using language that we as humans understand meaning what they clearly mean as "soon" near" "about to happen" as exactly that but yet they do not mean what they say. In fact they are lies since we understand them to mean something totally different then what He wanted to convey.

If we go under this assumption that "soon" "near" about to happen" doesn't mean exactly that but rather can mean thousands of years then if we do this even once then everytime God states time texts in scripture we cannot believe them because that is the meaning.

Is this wise?

When God states that He took 6 days to create the world then the plain meaning of the text is 6 days. But, under the assumption that this is only from God's perspective 6 days can mean 6000 years.




This is very dangerous since we now cannot trust God that He means what He says in a way that we can understand. How about those jews that were exiled to Babylon after Jerusalem's destruction by Nebuchadnezzar. God stated that He would restore them to their home in 70 years. If this does not mean 70 years and rather 70,000 years what comfort was this prophecy to those that heard it? It was actually a slap in the face. Also, it has not been 70,000 years yet so Israel is not in her homeland for another 67,800 years. What comfort was there in that?

You understand. If we go by this assumption even once, we must question every time text given in the entire Bible as not meaning the plain rendering of it because only God can understand it. How about we we pray and we are in financial trouble and God states I will deliver you soon. If this is from God's perspective God is fooling with us since He may not take care of us since "I will deliver you soon" does not mean what He says.

I don't believe this is prudent since I believe God when He says 6 days to create creation, 70 years to restore Israel in the Babylonian captivety, He will soon deliver me from my financial trouble, and in Matthew 24, Luke 21, Mark 13 and Revelation I believe that God meant it would happen soon to those that first heard His words of victory.

If God meant thousands of years later He would have clearly said so, not undermining every other time text in scripture with something that did not mean what it plainly said.

Do you see the problem with this?
Its either God is correct or man is correct. I prefer to believe God.

Science has proven that the earth is a lot older than 7000years. It was the inspiration of our hearts that led to scientific discoveries. These inspirations are also from God. Am of the opinion that science and religion need not be in conflict. some aspect of spirituality cannot be explained by our current scientific advancement. Moses wrote Genesis from his own revelations. His revelations were from an angel of God and cannot after many years be fully accurate. Christ is not recorded in the scripture to have commented on the age of the world.

We can reasonably deduce that it is possible for the earth to be created and many many years later the task of creating living things began. We know that after creating the earth the spirit of God was moving in the waters. Did the Bible tell us how long that event occurred? No. Satan had appeared on earth before man was created, so we can also assume that angels were creeated before man and probably before the earth. Since the concept of day and night were developed fully after the stars and the sun were created, it is posible that one God-day is not 24hours. I cannot say how long it took, but a reasonable understandig is to take each event as one God-day unit. So he created for 6 God-days and rested on the 7 God-day. The FACT that the earth is older than 6000years from our literal Bibilical understanding needs to be put in proper context. Hope that helps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
 
910 posts, read 1,050,792 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
There will be his sign in the clouds. And he will come in the clouds. That is why the angels in Acts 1:11 said "he will come in like manner. He will not descend on my property or yours. He will come to his world.

Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Matt 26:64_

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. (Mark 13:26)

And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Mark 14:62)

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. (Rev 1:7)

We will meet him in the air, who are Christians:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1 Thes 4:17)

And: "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. (1 Cor 15:51-53)



Then where did Elijah go when he was caught up in the whirlwind? and where did Jesus go when he assended to the Father? You cannot pick and chose your doctrine from the bible, what verses suit your pet theology. It is written "All scripture is for doctrine and reproof and correction..." What part of All don't you understand?



Matt 21:33 was about Christ the heir to the kingdom. He was speaking against those who kept his kingdom in Isreal and yet wanted to destroy him because he was the heir and they wanted Jesus' kingdom. Jesus was the heir to the throne of David!

Matt 19:28 is refering to the 12 thrones that the desciple will sit on and Judge along side Jesus' throne. I don't understand how this is saying that he will NOT come from the clouds??? Jesus will have an kingdom established on this earth. It is called the millenial reign. When we meet him in the sky we are not going to just sit floating around all day! We are going to return to earth and reign!



It's not that it ain't happening! It was just not happening at that moment! And they did comfirm that he would return in like manner! You got to read what the bible says, not what you want it to say!!!
It is possible toread the scripture 1000times and still not understand it very well. It is the Holy Spirit that can teach. Let me give an example. I used to imagine that the bibilical trumpet before his coming means that one angel will sound a trumpet all around the world from the sky. Thank goodness I have now known better- I know that the expected trumpet is actaull the gospel from the throne of God which will be established on earth in the last days.

Scripture is best undertood when you contextualize each statement. I urge you to go back to the fundamental happening around the garden of Eden. God was building a kingdom, before the devil scattered it and caused man to sin. God promptly expelled man and we started this drama that has taken thousands of years climaxing with the spilling of the blood of the Lamb to atone for sins and reconcile man back to God. If its time to rediscover the garden which was established on earth, the man to do this on God's behalf will be suspended in heaven? Does that look like a reasonble cause of action to you? Would you do that if you were God? I think not. The problem with rapture is that it is a figment of people's imagination and untill doomsday, no person can and will ever rapture from the earth. No person will drop or suspend from the sky either. It is a false doctrine, by the spirit of error thorugh lack of understanding of scripture.

The Bible only says in Paul's letter that we will meet the Lord in the air and be with him forever. Where is the air? Any place above ground qualifies as the air. Your house is sited in ground and rises to the air as it moves beyond ground level. The air is not the sky above. If we assume for the sake of argument that the air is the sky, by your logic and according to that epistle, we will be with the Lord for ever in the sky? I think not.

Elijah and Christ rising up to heaven wil start with a phsical body but will transmlate to spiritual beings before they get to heaven, which is a spiritual event. That is why the cloud cover is there to ensure you do not as mere mortals see such a signicant spiritual transformation.

Coming with clouds once again is a way of saying he cometh with power and glory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
 
Location: P.E. ,Canada
15 posts, read 16,808 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Jesus must have come already
Thats what she said!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
 
118 posts, read 148,334 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Its either God is correct or man is correct. I prefer to believe God.
I do as well!
  • When He said to Israel I will restore you in 70 years to your homeland I actually believed Him! Within 70 years they were restored.
  • When Jesus said that within a generation the temple would be destroyed and He would come in the clouds of His Kingdom, I actually believed Him.
  • When God said to John in the Revelation that it would be fulfilled:
  • Verse 1-3

1) Of the things that are shortly to happen.
2) Blessed is he who reads the words of this book, and does what it says.
3) For the time is near.

I actually believe Him.
Quote:
Science has proven that the earth is a lot older than 7000years. It was the inspiration of our hearts that led to scientific discoveries. These inspirations are also from God. Am of the opinion that science and religion need not be in conflict. some aspect of spirituality cannot be explained by our current scientific advancement. Moses wrote Genesis from his own revelations. His revelations were from an angel of God and cannot after many years be fully accurate. Christ is not recorded in the scripture to have commented on the age of the world.

We can reasonably deduce that it is possible for the earth to be created and many many years later the task of creating living things began. We know that after creating the earth the spirit of God was moving in the waters. Did the Bible tell us how long that event occurred? No. Satan had appeared on earth before man was created, so we can also assume that angels were creeated before man and probably before the earth. Since the concept of day and night were developed fully after the stars and the sun were created, it is posible that one God-day is not 24hours. I cannot say how long it took, but a reasonable understandig is to take each event as one God-day unit. So he created for 6 God-days and rested on the 7 God-day. The FACT that the earth is older than 6000years from our literal Bibilical understanding needs to be put in proper context. Hope that helps?
The problem here is that Bible Chronology states that the earth is about 4300 years old(give or take some years) then it IS in direct conflict with science. Science scientifically says the earth is millions of years old, Bible does not. You can check any of the Bible Chronologies and none of them state the earth is millions of years old.

Science also says that the earth was not created, but a big bang created the universe and the earth and Genesis is clear it wasn't. We have yet another conflict.

Science also says that man evolved from micro organisms and then apes. Again in direct conflict with Genesis that man came from the dust of the earth and God breathed life into Adam.

Science is in direct conflict with the Bible.

Nonetheless, then you must believe that God is not truthful when He says fulfillment is within a specific time frame since nothing that scripture states within a specific time given in plain language ever was fulfilled when anyone reading it thought it would be. For example:

Jeremiah 25

10 I will banish from them the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, the sound of millstones and the light of the lamp. 11 This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years.


If I was living in the time of the Babylonian exile and this prophecy was given to me and my countryman either God was truthful or He wasn't. When I heard this I would be overjoyed and then tell my children that within 70 years we would return to our homeland.

If God did not actually mean what I actually heard, in fact meant 70,000 years is that not a kick in the face?

I would have had no reason to doubt God and His words since I would never assume He meant anything but 70 years until my release from captivity and the return to my home(forget history and the fact that Israel returned to their homeland within 70 years through Cyrus and His decree to restore Jerusalem and the temple.)

God really meant 70,000 years(under the assumption that a day with the Lord is LIKE a thousand years) then under the idea that God is only talking about something He understands then Israel is still today under captivity in Babylon.

Do you really believe that?

If we take even one time that God states a time period not to mean exactly what is the plain reading of it, then we MUST take every other time text that God states in the entire Bible NOT to mean what it plainly states.

Is this prudent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 04:38 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,050,792 times
Reputation: 117
The bible saying a day of God is like a thousand years to man and vice versa is a way of saing that God counts time differently. When he talks to us and gives us a statement in time, he talks based on our own time understanding.However when he gives a prophecy and says 'soon', etc, we canot say it will happen within our own time understanding. This cannot be and should not very difficult to grab.

As regards creation Science is wrong on evolution and on so many other things. It is wrong because the level of scientific understanding is still behind the accurate understanding of the universe and creation. They still have a long way to go. That part of reality that cannot be explained by our human science is what I call celestial science, which is Godly Science. God is the chief scientist, creating the universe or multiverse was not done by mere painting, no. Several interaction of matter must have taken place and we just don't know enough. To believe simply that the earth et al were created over six days is simply applying carnal knowledge to Bibilical understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top