U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM

21,299 posts, read 20,972,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_DARLING View Post
I admit that I am not a beliver in Christianity other that what can be shown from objective history and archeology. But I have a desire to partake in the Eucharist. Maybe just the beauty of it or the ritual. Or maybe I just want to believe. Should I go to Mass?
I don't know if you are just directing this towards Catholics or towards Christians in general. Your reference to Mass kind of implies that you're only looking for answers from Catholics, but I'll answer anyway. Most Christians see the Eucharist (aka the Lord's Supper, Communion, the Sacrament) as a time when they renew their covenants with the Lord and remember His atoning sacrifice. It would not make a lot of sense for you to partake in it as a non-believer. In light of your comment, "maybe I just want to believe," you might want to start attending either Mass or another Christian worship service and let the seed of desire take root. Once you actually do believe, taking the Eucharist will be a lot more meaningful to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,532,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_DARLING View Post
I admit that I am not a beliver in Christianity other that what can be shown from objective history and archeology. But I have a desire to partake in the Eucharist. Maybe just the beauty of it or the ritual. Or maybe I just want to believe. Should I go to Mass?
Obviously you have attended one, but did not partake of it.

Just so you should know: if the catholic church knows you are not a believer, let alone a catholic, they would not offer it to you. I remember attending a catholic church when I was little and an announcement went out for those not catholic to not partake of the Mass. I had obeyed, of course, but had I known then what I know now of the Mass, I would not have received the Eucharist anyway for the ritual was dishonouring Jesus by implying that the one time sacrifice for sin wasn't enough as it is being continual in the performance of the Mass.

Catholics will contest this, of course, and you will find the argument going around in circles, but the bottomline of the rerpoof is that the teachings of the RCC considers it anathema for anyone to "just take it in remembrance of Him", and yet that is all Jesus said to take it for.

Nowadays, the abuse of communion has spread to the non-catholic churches as they incorporate "world wide communion" in with regular communion, expounding that the offering of this communion is being taken along with all our other brothers and sisters in Christ as we take it in unity in the same "spirit" that they are taking it, which is adding to God's words again, ignoring the fact that those that partake of this "official" worldwide communion are taking the Eucharist of the Mass which is not the same thing as communion and thus there is no unity nor agreement being done in this worldwide communion, and yet now.. the words that have made up this "world wide communion" has been filtered into regular communion.

I wished the churches would leave communion as it was in the early churches to do this in remembrance of Him as clearly stated in the scriptures to do: but the RCC has turned it into one of the seven sacraments necessary for salvation.

That is hardly remembering what He has done for us in Him having saved us by faith in Jesus Christ.

Since you are online: find out for yourself what the Eucharist mean in the Mass and then compare that with the Good News found in Jesus Christ and you will see that the two subjects are not in agreement.

Speaking as a believer in Jesus Christ, if I divide my hope in Jesus with good works like doing the seven sacraments of the RCC (which doesn't even end there in order to be saved), then I would be voiding my faith in Him as being able to save me, but I know Jesus is called the Saviour for a reason and that christianity is not a religion but a relationship based on trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

The gospel has to be simple for little children to come to Him and yet what can they do but trust the Lord and take Him at His Word?

There is nothing simple about catholicism. Their catechism alone should be enough to declare catholicism as another gospel.

You may be intrigued by the ritual, but like in anything else, maybe you should look before you leap. Know what you are getting involved with before you partake of the Mass. I can only hope that in your search, you may find why Jesus Christ is the Good News and catholicism is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity