Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:11 PM

32,941 posts, read 26,170,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The big word was wrong anyway... it is anthropomorphism .... (or a spelling mistake... there is an "r" missing....)
An anthropopathism ascribes to God human feelings such as anger and hatred which He doesn't really have, but through lanquage of accommodation allows God to express certain of His policies in relation to fallen creatures in terms the the finite mind of man can understand, which would otherwise be beyond human comprehension.

An anthropomorphism ascribes to God physical attributes that He doesn't really have, such as human form, hands, etc... Morphe means shape. Again, lanquage of accommodation in involved.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
An anthropopathism ascribes to God human feelings such as anger and hatred which He doesn't really have, but through lanquage of accommodation allows God to express certain of His policies in relation to fallen creatures in terms the the finite mind of man can understand, which would otherwise be beyond human comprehension.

An anthropomorphism ascribes to God physical attributes that He doesn't really have, such as human form, hands, etc... Morphe means shape. Again, lanquage of accommodation in involved.
Thanks for the clarification on that!

The other thing I noticed is that when you used the word you said that God was always happy.. something like... anthropopathisms aside, God is happy....

Isn't saying that God is happy an anthropopathism?

I wonder about this especially when someone says that God GLORIES in his justice or it brings God GLORY... why would God (unless he is human) need to be glorified?

And furthermore, why would God need retribution if someone didn't believe in him, or have faith? Isn't that an anthropopathism as well?

So then one must wonder why it is God has to punish people for not believing in him or not having faith that he exists....

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM

[quote=Ilene Wright;14096505]
Quote:

No, you're not listening to what they are saying. Reconciliation is not what you view as being "saved". Those of us who have accepted Jesus as Savior are "saved". Those who did not or will not accept Jesus will be "reconciled". They WILL be punished, but not for all of eternity.

You did not even read what I really said, did you? You have no right to say that God did not lead me where I am....you have no right to say I have given myself over to doctrines of demons!! Just because YOU think it's wrong according to your doctrine does not make it so. Wow, I apologize again to everyone if I ever came across like Mike. I am not a casualty Mike, you are.

If they are a CHRISTIAN universalist, then yes, they do believe you need Jesus Christ to be saved. I read the posts you are speaking of and, once again, you misinterpreted what they were trying to say.

I'm really appalled at what you said about not losing any sleep over those you feel deserve to go to hell--or the lake of fire for all of eternity. There's no love in you Mike.....where's the love? Where? You seem robotic in your responses........and when one of your posts doesn't get a response you post again telling people to go and read it. I think you might want to look up the definition of "boasting".
All who die without Christ are lost forever. Jesus declared it with His own lips.

God will never lead anyone to believe something that is contrary to His written word. Those who deny the penalty of eternal punishment are under strong delusion.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:

All who die without Christ are lost forever. Jesus declared it with His own lips.

God will never lead anyone to believe something that is contrary to His written word. Those who deny the penalty of eternal punishment are under strong delusion.
WHOOOAH! Where is that scripture?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Now would be a good time to remind anyone just coming on to this thread to read the articles in post #1 which show the the teaching of universalism to be false. That is the purpose for the thread.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
WHOOOAH! Where is that scripture?
For one, Matthew 25:41,46. For another, Matthew 10:28.

Quite simply, read the articles that I posted if you want to learn something.

Readers should know that among other things, you don't believe in heaven or hell, you don't believe that Jesus Christ is God, and you don't believe in Satan or angels as real beings. And perhaps not surprisingly, there are many who share your disbelief. It is a part of the spiritual warfare that is going on. Satan has deceived many.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,989,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
And I can say the same right back at you. God is going to send the unbelievers to hell. Can't you grasp that? It isn't really all that hard. This doesn't "feel" right to you, but truth isn't relative to one's emotions. God punishes the unrighteous. They are not His sheep.

John 10:26-28 "The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life."
You miss the point in your rush to ape me.I understand ET theology.Those who claim that UR theology makes Christ unnecessary are showing ignorance of what they are saying about UR.That is what the question "can't you grasp that" was about.But don't let figuring that out stop you.We wouldn't want responses to be based on what someone actually said,now would we?

You are free to believe in whatever you want,including that God feels the need to eternally punish trillions of people if you wish.It says more about the people choosing to believe it than anything else.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
For one, Matthew 25:41,46. For another, Matthew 10:28.

Quite simply, read the articles that I posted if you want to learn something.

Readers should know that among other things, you don't believe in heaven or hell, you don't believe that Jesus Christ is God, and you don't believe in Satan or angels as real beings. And perhaps not surprisingly, there are many who share your disbelief. It is a part of the spiritual warfare that is going on. Satan has deceived many.
Oh sorry I forgot to put in the disclaimer... My bad.

Let us look into those verses you gave though.

Matt. 25:41;46
"Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, 'Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons." ; "And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life."

Isn't this a reference to Daniel?
Daniel 12:2 "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.

What is disgrace and contempt? Is that the same as "lost forever?"

You said "All who die without Christ are lost forever. Jesus declared it with His own lips."

Yet he says ETERNAL PUNISHMENT... isn't that kolasis? Doesn't kolasis really mean CORRECTION? Why would anyone fear correction? Doesn't that mean the outcome is better than the beginning state?

And the other one you give as proof that
"All who die without Christ are lost forever. Jesus declared it with His own lips."

Matt. 10:28
And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in Gehenna.

First, I used the YLT because it says "Gehenna" rather than "hell" which of course is what it really is... a proper noun, a specific place. But beyond that...Jesus is not declaring here that they are lost forever... Just destroyed, perish(able), RUINED.

In that age they burned criminals in Gehenna along with garbage. For it to be known that you died and burned in Gehenna was for your name to be RUINED... Your reputation is destroyed... and this is exactly what happened to those people who stayed in the city after Jesus told them to flee... their bodies were piled up and burned in Gehenna.

So perhaps you can show where "All who die without Christ are lost forever. Jesus declared it with His own lips."

ADDED: I know one thing that Jesus did say with his own lips....
"for the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."

Last edited by katjonjj; 05-08-2010 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on that!

The other thing I noticed is that when you used the word you said that God was always happy.. something like... anthropopathisms aside, God is happy....

Isn't saying that God is happy an anthropopathism?

I wonder about this especially when someone says that God GLORIES in his justice or it brings God GLORY... why would God (unless he is human) need to be glorified?

And furthermore, why would God need retribution if someone didn't believe in him, or have faith? Isn't that an anthropopathism as well?

So then one must wonder why it is God has to punish people for not believing in him or not having faith that he exists....
God's happiness is a mental attitude. God possesses perfect happiness, a perfect mental attitude that is unaffected by anything that any of His creatures can do. But that is an anthopopathism which in terms of limited human capacity best describes an infinite quality of God that is is really beyond man's ability to understand.

Anthropomorphisms and their Meaning, by Ludwig Koehler

Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 AM

[quote=Ilene Wright;14096505]
Quote:

No, you're not listening to what they are saying. Reconciliation is not what you view as being "saved". Those of us who have accepted Jesus as Savior are "saved". Those who did not or will not accept Jesus will be "reconciled". They WILL be punished, but not for all of eternity.

You did not even read what I really said, did you? You have no right to say that God did not lead me where I am....you have no right to say I have given myself over to doctrines of demons!! Just because YOU think it's wrong according to your doctrine does not make it so. Wow, I apologize again to everyone if I ever came across like Mike. I am not a casualty Mike, you are.

If they are a CHRISTIAN universalist, then yes, they do believe you need Jesus Christ to be saved. I read the posts you are speaking of and, once again, you misinterpreted what they were trying to say.

I'm really appalled at what you said about not losing any sleep over those you feel deserve to go to hell--or the lake of fire for all of eternity. There's no love in you Mike.....where's the love? Where? You seem robotic in your responses........and when one of your posts doesn't get a response you post again telling people to go and read it. I think you might want to look up the definition of "boasting".
From God's standpoint all of humanity deserves the eternal lake of fire. And God would have been just in leaving everyone in condemnation. But He didn't. He provided a way to escape being sent to hell. If anyone refuses to take the way of escape that God provided, than they must spend eternity in the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels. Matthew 25:41,46.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity