Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,953,346 times

Advertisements

[quote=Ilene Wright;14199828]
Quote:

Huh? Judgments to get everyone out of hell? There is but one judgment and at that time everyone will be handed down their sentence. The white throne judgment is for unbelievers who died without being saved and they will have to face a sentence, whether it's one day in God's consuming spiritual fire or 1000 years. It will be determined by actions and deeds, and when their time is up (similar to our own judicial system) they will be released into the kingdom. God will know exactly how long a person will need to be "refined" in the fire to be fit for the kingdom. It is my belief that there will be no rewards whatsoever for those who died in unbelief. They will simply be a part of the kingdom and serve God.

There's nothing in scripture that proves this to be an eternal condition. Due to mistranslations of words such as "hell" and "eternal", it cannot be and must not be assumed that the lake of fire is anything but symbolic for God's spiritual fire.

Was he in hell or hades? It's not the same thing. Hell is broadly used to describe what fundamentalists call eternal torment, and that is just not the case when one studies the true meanings of hell, hades, sheol, gehenna, tartarus and the lake of fire. The parable of the rich man and Lazarus does not prove eternal torment....the rich man was being refined in God's spiritual fire and nowhere does it say he would be there for all of eternity. I believe the chasm was bridged when Jesus died and went to Hades....He bridged the gap between us and God. He is the reason we can be reconciled.

And there is nothing to suggest this was a permanent condition either. It's all in the interpretation and translations.

Clearly Revelation 14 speaks of eternal torment. Revelation 14:9 "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10. he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.11. (AND THE SMOKE OF THEIR TORMENT ASCENDS FOREVER AND EVER; AND THEY HAVE NO REST DAY OR NIGHT, WHO WORSHIP THE BEAST AND HIS IMAGE, AND WHOEVER RECEIVES THE MARK OF HIS NAME."

How do you get a temporary condition, when Scripture states, (THEIR TORMENT ASCENDS FOREVER AND EVER?)
How do you get a temproary condition, when Scripture tells you, (THEY WILL HAVE NO REST DAY OR NIGHT)?

It's obvious to me, you don't want to believe this. And spiritually speaking. It is always better to error on the side of the Bibles clear teachings. Then to assume the Bible must mean something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:35 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,593,269 times
[quote=Campbell34;14200134]

Quote:
How do you get a temporary condition, when Scripture states, (THEIR TORMENT ASCENDS FOREVER AND EVER?)
That's what I was saying before.....there is much dispute and controversy over the mistranslation of "forever and ever" or "eternal".....we have to go back to the greek to better understand this. It can simply mean a set amount of time after judgment but in no way does the greek imply that hell is some eternal torture chamber.

Quote:
How do you get a temproary condition, when Scripture tells you, (THEY WILL HAVE NO REST DAY OR NIGHT)?
No rest day or night does not mean eternal!! I believe those who experience God's wrath will indeed suffer through purification, but we do not really know or understand what God's "spiritual fire" really is.

Quote:
It's obvious to me, you don't want to believe this. And spiritually speaking. It is always better to error on the side of the Bibles clear teachings. Then to assume the Bible must mean something else.
I believed in ET up until a few months ago. I now know that it is the devil's lie, not universalism. There's no way to bring people to a God who they think is a torturing bully by telling them he's going to burn them for all of eternity if they don't accept Him....I mean, think about it. I now know that scripture does NOT teach ET, it teaches reconciliation. It teaches LOVE and mercy, not hatred and contempt. Jesus said himself that the two greatest commandments are to love God and each other....how is it loving to tell your fellow man they are going to fry for eternity if they don't do what you tell them to do? Not only is universalism biblical, it is WAY more in line with God's character than ET.

ET is character assassination of God.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,915,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Jesus Christ desires to ransom all mankind this is true. Yet there is, (A REQUIREMENT). As stated in John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, THAT WHOEVER (BELIEVES IN HIM) SHALL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.
Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall (CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED).

John 3:36 Whoever (BELIEVES IN THE SON HAS ETERNAL LIFE); whoever does not obey the Son (SHALL NOT SEE LIFE, BUT THE WRATH OF GOD REMAINS ON HIM.)
Dear Campbell, Jesus didn't just desire to ransom all mankind, He actually did ransom all mankind. The requirement is met. God accepted that ransome and now must free all mankind.

John 3:16, Romans 10:13 and John 3:36 should not be used to contradict what 1 Timothy 2:4-6 and 4:10 says. Rather, we need to see how they work together.

During this time God has chosen who will be believing. He chose them before the disruption or foundation of the world. They will believe. God sends evangelists to them so they can believe. Their believing is proof of their salvation, proof of their being chosen. In John 3:36 it is "believes in the Son has eonian life); whoever does not obey the Son (shall not see [eonian] life, but the wrath of God is remaining on him." Now there are two points to consider: 1. this is talking about eonian life or the life pertaining to the next eon or two. 2. Those who God has not chosen to be believing will not be seeing this eonian life. The wrath or indignation of God is remaining on him. It is the same indignation which is on all mankind due to what Adam did (Romans 5:18,19). They are all in a state of condemnation. But Christ ransomed all mankind so EVENTUALLY all must be freed from this state of sin and death into God's salvation.

Quote:
Do you understand that it requires a (BELIEF IN HIM) to receive life eternal? Eternal salvation is not a blank check. And clearly Scripture tells us that if we (DO NOT OBEY THE SON) we shall not see life, (AND THE WRATH OF GOD WILL REMAIN ON US.)
Do you understand that it requires God to have chosen before the disruption of the world to be believing to receive eonian life? What life shall one who is not chosen miss? It is eonian life or the life pertaining to the eon(s).

Quote:
Your belief that everyone is saved is a belief that is encouraged by Satan himself. Such a belief allows people to believe whatever they desire. They can live anykind of life they wish. And why not, after all, even if they murder, kill, or rape. We are all saved anyway according to you. We will all be in heaven with Adolf Hitler, John Wayne Gacy, Stalin, ect. Your beliefs are truly a departure from the Scriptures.
I don't believe everyone has entered into a salvific position in this life. The majority of people of this world have not been chosen to be receiving eonian life.
I don't believe whatever I desire nor do I live any kind of life I wish so you accusations are without foundation of facts.

Quote:
John 3:36 Tells us, (THAT IF YOU DO NOT OBEY THE LORD JESUS CHRIST YOU WILL NOT SEE LIFE, BUT THE WRATH OF GOD WILL REMAIN ON YOU.)

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT?
Do you believe it with the elipsis "eonian"?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM

[quote=Ilene Wright;14200345]
Quote:

That's what I was saying before.....there is much dispute and controversy over the mistranslation of "forever and ever" or "eternal".....we have to go back to the greek to better understand this. It can simply mean a set amount of time after judgment but in no way does the greek imply that hell is some eternal torture chamber.

No rest day or night does not mean eternal!! I believe those who experience God's wrath will indeed suffer through purification, but we do not really know or understand what God's "spiritual fire" really is.

I believed in ET up until a few months ago. I now know that it is the devil's lie, not universalism. There's no way to bring people to a God who they think is a torturing bully by telling them he's going to burn them for all of eternity if they don't accept Him....I mean, think about it. I now know that scripture does NOT teach ET, it teaches reconciliation. It teaches LOVE and mercy, not hatred and contempt. Jesus said himself that the two greatest commandments are to love God and each other....how is it loving to tell your fellow man they are going to fry for eternity if they don't do what you tell them to do? Not only is universalism biblical, it is WAY more in line with God's character than ET.

ET is character assassination of God.

The only dispute here are those who deny the obvious. If there is a dispute about eternal torment, then there should be a dispute about eternal salvation. Yet we don't see that when it comes to salvation, only eternal torment. Was God a bully when he destroyed the earth with a flood? One could say. Where was His love when He did that? God does things that are not always politically correct or popular. The flood is an example of God's powerful judgements. And your universalism is far from God's character. Sodom and Gamorrah, another example of God's judgements. Do you just ignore what God has already done?

Clearly Jude chapter 1 verse 23 tells us.
Rescue others by snatching them (FROM THE FLAMES OF JUDGMENT).

It is the Devils lie that would make people believe that they have nothing to fear, and that everything will work out in the end. That, is the Devils lie.

Jesus Christ tells us that wide is the gate that leads to destruction (AND MANY THERE BE THAT ENTER IT). Yet, (NARROW IS THE WAY THAT LEADS TO LIFE, AND FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT.)

FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT. This is not a message of universalism.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Dear Campbell, Jesus didn't just desire to ransom all mankind, He actually did ransom all mankind. The requirement is met. God accepted that ransome and now must free all mankind.

John 3:16, Romans 10:13 and John 3:36 should not be used to contradict what 1 Timothy 2:4-6 and 4:10 says. Rather, we need to see how they work together.

During this time God has chosen who will be believing. He chose them before the disruption or foundation of the world. They will believe. God sends evangelists to them so they can believe. Their believing is proof of their salvation, proof of their being chosen. In John 3:36 it is "believes in the Son has eonian life); whoever does not obey the Son (shall not see [eonian] life, but the wrath of God is remaining on him." Now there are two points to consider: 1. this is talking about eonian life or the life pertaining to the next eon or two. 2. Those who God has not chosen to be believing will not be seeing this eonian life. The wrath or indignation of God is remaining on him. It is the same indignation which is on all mankind due to what Adam did (Romans 5:18,19). They are all in a state of condemnation. But Christ ransomed all mankind so EVENTUALLY all must be freed from this state of sin and death into God's salvation.

Do you understand that it requires God to have chosen before the disruption of the world to be believing to receive eonian life? What life shall one who is not chosen miss? It is eonian life or the life pertaining to the eon(s).

I don't believe everyone has entered into a salvific position in this life. The majority of people of this world have not been chosen to be receiving eonian life.
I don't believe whatever I desire nor do I live any kind of life I wish so you accusations are without foundation of facts.

Do you believe it with the elipsis "eonian"?

Don't you understand? John 3:16, Romans 10:13, and John 3:36 does not contradict 1 Timothy 2:46, or 4:10. They only appear to you to contradict what is stated. And that is because you are trying to force fit a belief that the Bible does not promote, nor will it accept. The Watch Tower Society had the same problem with their beliefs, so they had to rewrite their Bible so it would agree with their doctrine. All who willingly come to Christ will be saved. Yet it requires them to obey, and believe. God will not force anyone to follow Him. Yes, Christ died for the sins of the world. Yet it still requires the world to first obey, and follow Him. And this is something the world will not do. And that is why Christ tells us, that narrow is the way that leads to life. (AND FEW THEIR BE THAT FIND IT.) And my accusation was speaking of the world in general. If everyone believes they can live what ever life they desire. Why follow Christ? After all, EVENTUALLY God has to free mankind anyway. According to you.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,593,269 times
[
Quote:
quote=Campbell34;14201000]
The only dispute here are those who deny the obvious. If there is a dispute about eternal torment, then there should be a dispute about eternal salvation. Yet we don't see that when it comes to salvation, only eternal torment. Was God a bully when he destroyed the earth with a flood? One could say. Where was His love when He did that? God does things that are not always politically correct or popular. The flood is an example of God's powerful judgements. And your universalism is far from God's character. Sodom and Gamorrah, another example of God's judgements. Do you just ignore what God has already done?
If you want to dispute that life in the kingdom is not eternal then you need to go to Twin Spin's thread......he started a thread about this very thing. Personally I think that is a ridiculous argument. Hell isn't eternal therefore heaven can't be either. We know from God being the Alpha and Omega and the fact that He has always "been" that spiritual life will actually be "forever". God is just and righteous, however I do question why He destroyed so much in the Old Testament. We don't understand His ways....like He said.....his ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts. But, God IS love and I just have to look at it as severe corrective punishment because I don't understand the reasoning. Doesn't mean all those people will spend an eternity burning in hell.....he simply ended their lives here. I don't ignore anything God has done or is going to do.....we still have a very rough road ahead of us according to the Word. Universalism is more in line with God's character than ET, since God IS love. I see no love in any of the ETer's posts....just judgmental and unforgiving. Where's the love Campbell? What is it that Jesus said were the two greatest commandments?

Quote:
Clearly Jude chapter 1 verse 23 tells us.
Rescue others by snatching them (FROM THE FLAMES OF JUDGMENT).
Yes, that's why it's important to accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord NOW. Nothing has changed about that Campbell. But again, there is nothing in that scripture that says the flames of judgment are actual fire as we know it, nor does it say it's eternal.

Quote:
It is the Devils lie that would make people believe that they have nothing to fear, and that everything will work out in the end. That, is the Devils lie.
It's not quite that simple. We do have something to fear and that is God's judgment. The devil's lie is that the sentence will be for eternity. All will be reconciled, but getting to that point for most of creation will be no walk in the park.
Quote:
Jesus Christ tells us that wide is the gate that leads to destruction (AND MANY THERE BE THAT ENTER IT). Yet, (NARROW IS THE WAY THAT LEADS TO LIFE, AND FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT.)

No it's the message of how few will actually be saved. There will be a price to pay for disbelief Campbell, it's just not eternal and these scriptures do not say anything about it being eternal.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Don't you understand? John 3:16, Romans 10:13, and John 3:36 does not contradict 1 Timothy 2:46, or 4:10. They only appear to you to contradict what is stated. And that is because you are trying to force fit a belief that the Bible does not promote, nor will it accept.
They surely do contradict 1 Timothy 2:4-6 if taken the way you take them. You see, you take them in a way that undoes the ransom of all mankind. I take them in the way that harmonized with the ransom of all mankind.
Try to learn what aionios really means and you will see if translated properly it harmonized with God saving all mankind.

Quote:
The Watch Tower Society had the same problem with their beliefs, so they had to rewrite their Bible so it would agree with their doctrine.
Ahh, guilt by association and poisoning of the well. I could do the same concerning your beliefs but refuse to go that low.

Quote:
All who willingly come to Christ will be saved. Yet it requires them to obey, and believe. God will not force anyone to follow Him.
Actually, All who God draws to Christ will be saved. They will come willingly only upon the supposition that first God draws them. Otherwise they will not come. It requres God choosing them before the disruption of the world, God drawing them, God removing the blinders, opening their heart and giving them faith to be believing. Do you understand this? It is all of God or nothing.

Quote:
Yes, Christ died for the sins of the world. Yet it still requires the world to first obey, and follow Him. And this is something the world will not do. And that is why Christ tells us, that narrow is the way that leads to life. (AND FEW THEIR BE THAT FIND IT.) And my accusation was speaking of the world in general. If everyone believes they can live what ever life they desire. Why follow Christ? After all, EVENTUALLY God has to free mankind anyway. According to you.
*sigh* I think this is hopeless after all I have said to you. It is not that man can live whatever life they desire. The sad thing is that mankind does live whatever life they desire even if they believe there is an eternal hell.

If you really believe Christ died for the sins of the world as you state above you'd be rejoicing that all mankind's sins have been died for. Our believing doesn't make it so. It is so whether we believe it or not. God gives us the belief to believe it is so so that we can revel in it and be saved from the harmful things of life.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
[

If you want to dispute that life in the kingdom is not eternal then you need to go to Twin Spin's thread......he started a thread about this very thing. Personally I think that is a ridiculous argument. Hell isn't eternal therefore heaven can't be either. We know from God being the Alpha and Omega and the fact that He has always "been" that spiritual life will actually be "forever". God is just and righteous, however I do question why He destroyed so much in the Old Testament. We don't understand His ways....like He said.....his ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts. But, God IS love and I just have to look at it as severe corrective punishment because I don't understand the reasoning. Doesn't mean all those people will spend an eternity burning in hell.....he simply ended their lives here. I don't ignore anything God has done or is going to do.....we still have a very rough road ahead of us according to the Word. Universalism is more in line with God's character than ET, since God IS love. I see no love in any of the ETer's posts....just judgmental and unforgiving. Where's the love Campbell? What is it that Jesus said were the two greatest commandments?

Yes, that's why it's important to accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord NOW. Nothing has changed about that Campbell. But again, there is nothing in that scripture that says the flames of judgment are actual fire as we know it, nor does it say it's eternal.

It's not quite that simple. We do have something to fear and that is God's judgment. The devil's lie is that the sentence will be for eternity. All will be reconciled, but getting to that point for most of creation will be no walk in the park.

No it's the message of how few will actually be saved. There will be a price to pay for disbelief Campbell, it's just not eternal and these scriptures do not say anything about it being eternal.

Matthew 25:46 tells those who have rejected Jesus Christ that they will go away to (ETERNAL PUNISHMENT), but the righteous to (ETERNAL LIFE). So you would have us believe that eternal life, is not the same duration of time, as eternal punishment? PLEASE.

The Devils lie, is that we need not worry about (ETERNAL PUNISHMENT.)
And because of that lie, many people do not consider salvation.

There is nothing in the Scriptures that say the flames of judgement are actual fire as we know it? Obviously, you can read the Scriptures and just ignore what is so clearly stated.

Luke 16:24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this (FIRE).

So, was the rich man lying to us?

Perhaps you should do what the Watchtower society did. They simply rewrote their Bible and removed all references to Hell. I believe that would solve your problem. Of course, it would not be truthful. And people who love others will not hide the truth from them.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Matthew 25:46 tells those who have rejected Jesus Christ that they will go away to (ETERNAL PUNISHMENT), but the righteous to (ETERNAL LIFE). So you would have us believe that eternal life, is not the same duration of time, as eternal punishment? PLEASE.
If aionios meant "eternal" then, yes, you would be correct to state that eternal life is the same duration of time as eternal punishment.

The problem is that aionios does not mean "eternal." It is an adjective telling us about that which pertains to the eon.
Therefore the eonian life is th esame duration of time as the eonian punishment.

The kolasin in aionion kolasin (eonian chastening) was always thought of as remedial.

Quote:
The Devils lie, is that we need not worry about (ETERNAL PUNISHMENT.)
And because of that lie, many people do not consider salvation.
Actually, I think part of the problem is not so much the devil's lie but that the punishment, if it be eternal, is so beyond believable that people scoff at such an idea or they can't possibly understand such an idea of a loving God eternally torturing them in fire for things they did which did not merit such a terrible fate.

Quote:
There is nothing in the Scriptures that say the flames of judgement are actual fire as we know it? Obviously, you can read the Scriptures and just ignore what is so clearly stated.
Have you ever "been on fire" for the Lord? Did Paul say 1Cor 7:9 "Yet if they are not controlling themselves, let them marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire."

When we do good to an enemy do we literally heap coals of fire on their head?

Quote:
Luke 16:24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this (FIRE).

So, was the rich man lying to us?
Was Paul lying to us about fire?

Quote:
Perhaps you should do what the Watchtower society did. They simply rewrote their Bible and removed all references to Hell. I believe that would solve your problem. Of course, it would not be truthful. And people who love others will not hide the truth from them.
Campell, let's quit with the guilt by association tactics. It makes you look bad and proves nothing. I could say: "Perhaps you should do what the Satanists do and leave Hell in your Bibles." See? It proves nothing.

There are many good Bibles out there that do not have "hell" in their bibles. Young's Literal Translation of 1898 does not contain the word "hell." Weymouth New Testament of 1912 does not either. The Concordant Literal New Testament and Old Testament does not either. They didn't copy from the Watchtower society to arrive at their conclusion. They found that Hell is just a bad translation of "Sheol," "Hades" "the grave" "Gehenna" etc.

Let's get back to the Original Post of this thread concerning all mankind being ransomed and due to that "God will have all mankind to be saved."

It doesn't say "God will have all mankind to be saved if they just do their part and receive it or believe it. It says "God will have all mankind to be saved FOR . . . Christ gave Himself a ransom for all." That's the reason. The reason is due to what Christ did, not what God required of anyone else.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,138,125 times
Quote:

IMO, one must understand the human condition in order to understand how only a few will find it, enter in, etc.

Do we know that we are both carnal and spiritual? Do we understand the need for the cross in our daily walk? Do we know why Jesus commanded us to take up our cross? Why Paul would say, "I die daily"?

This is telling us that something in us needs killing, and that is the flesh - the carnal nature. We've discussed many times about God's holiness, and the need for us to be presented holy, spotless, perfect before Him who is perfect. But that's just the surface...

It's of a necessity that every Christian realize that you cannot clean up the flesh. You can dress it up, you can teach it tricks, you can even put a big Sunday hat on it and call it pretty - but the flesh never changes - it's corrupt to the core, and the only way to be delivered from it is to kill it.

Funny, but we can still live after we die to the flesh - it's Christ's life in us. "I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." But our old man? We're dead - only the life of Christ is pleasing to the Father. This is just the beginning - for dying is a process, but remember: we have to be spotless. So reread the text:

"Few shall find it - narrow is the gate."

We quantify this as a numerical factor, instead of realizing scripture is talking to you and me. "I" will not enter - His life in me will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity