U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,687,893 times
Reputation: 528

Advertisements

I am shocked at the "advice" some people have given you. Don't listen to them! Yes, being a Christian is hard. It's hard in any generation, but especially now because so many people have wandered away from the Truth. Surround yourselves with other Christians and break friendships if they are causing you to stumble. "Bad company corrupts good character" 1 Corinthians 15:33. You can't be perfect nor can you make anyone else be something they don't want to be. Try to follow Jesus with His help and be a good witness for your unbelieving family/friends. I will be praying for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,687,893 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It sounds like you should manage your own life instead of worrying about how others live. From the sounds of it they aren't hurting anyone else so your 'problems' are really rather superfluous. Given the fact that the U.S. is 75% christian it's rather doubtful it's hard for a christian to live in today's world.
You seriously think that statistic is true? Many people call themselves Christians, but that doesn't mean they really are. Actions speak much louder than words and the way this country is going is not towards God. You've got to be kidding if you think it isn't hard to be a Christian in our society. Sex before marriage and living together is the norm now. If you are virgin, you are made fun of. Being a Christian today is not easy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,289,698 times
Reputation: 420
When I think about how hard it may have been, is, or will be, I always think of the early Christian church, and usually then, I stop worrying.
Also, pray for Africa and China, there the wonderful outpouring of the Holy Spirit is grandiose, and they are suffering greatly for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,071 posts, read 4,968,144 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You seriously think that statistic is true? Many people call themselves Christians, but that doesn't mean they really are. Actions speak much louder than words and the way this country is going is not towards God. You've got to be kidding if you think it isn't hard to be a Christian in our society. Sex before marriage and living together is the norm now. If you are virgin, you are made fun of. Being a Christian today is not easy!
Your claim is a value judgement. Statistics speak louder than your say so and the statistics say 75% of Americans are christian, thus 75% are christian. Also, you seem to have the typical christian persecution complex. No one's making you a pariah, no one's going to beat you and no one's going to psychologically abuse you or make laws to prohibit you from praticing your religion. You should grow a thicker skin if you think something as menial as being made fun of is persecution. A large amount of christians say that because I'm an atheist I'm immoral, evil, hedonistic, wicked and going to burn for eternity. I just ignore it and pass it off as nonsensical jibber jabber. You should think about just ignoring it when people make fun of you rather than getting all worked up and pretending you're being persecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,687,893 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Your claim is a value judgement. Statistics speak louder than your say so and the statistics say 75% of Americans are christian, thus 75% are christian. Also, you seem to have the typical christian persecution complex. No one's making you a pariah, no one's going to beat you and no one's going to psychologically abuse you or make laws to prohibit you from praticing your religion. You should grow a thicker skin if you think something as menial as being made fun of is persecution. A large amount of christians say that because I'm an atheist I'm immoral, evil, hedonistic, wicked and going to burn for eternity. I just ignore it and pass it off as nonsensical jibber jabber. You should think about just ignoring it when people make fun of you rather than getting all worked up and pretending you're being persecuted.
Once again, just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true. Since you are an atheist, bringing in scripture doesn't mean anything, but the Bible says there are people who are false prophets. They THINK they are Christians, but they aren't. They would be included in that statistic since they believe they are Christians, but according to the Bible aren't. If this country truly was 75% Christian, it would look VERY different than it does now. You can believe that they all are really Christians, it doesn't change the fact that many aren't.

Just because American's aren't killed for their faith doesn't mean that there isn't persecution in our country. Maybe you don't know what persecution means. Webster's definition 1: to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
2 : to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (as attacks, pleas, or importunities). Christians most definitely are harassed and attacked (most often verbally); therefore, they are persecuted according to the very definition of persecution.

You aren't a Christian you really have no say whether there is persecution in America or not since you obviously haven't experienced it. It's really interesting to me that you are telling me that it's easy to be a Christian in America, but you aren't one and I am. I would never say what it's like to be an atheist so what makes you think you can say what it's like to be a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,071 posts, read 4,968,144 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Once again, just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true. Since you are an atheist, bringing in scripture doesn't mean anything, but the Bible says there are people who are false prophets. They THINK they are Christians, but they aren't. They would be included in that statistic since they believe they are Christians, but according to the Bible aren't. If this country truly was 75% Christian, it would look VERY different than it does now. You can believe that they all are really Christians, it doesn't change the fact that many aren't.

Just because American's aren't killed for their faith doesn't mean that there isn't persecution in our country. Maybe you don't know what persecution means. Webster's definition 1: to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
2 : to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (as attacks, pleas, or importunities). Christians most definitely are harassed and attacked (most often verbally); therefore, they are persecuted according to the very definition of persecution.

You aren't a Christian you really have no say whether there is persecution in America or not since you obviously haven't experienced it. It's really interesting to me that you are telling me that it's easy to be a Christian in America, but you aren't one and I am. I would never say what it's like to be an atheist so what makes you think you can say what it's like to be a Christian?
And once again, statistics are valid proof while your say so is nothing more than personal opinion.

I can say what persecution actually is. What you call persecution isn't persecution. No one's physically or emotionally abusing you. Why do you even care if people make fun of you? You need to learn how to brush off menial things like being made fun of. Have you recieved death threats? Have you been beaten, hit, kicked or punched because your a christian? Are people forcing you to convert to atheism? Are there laws prohibiting you from praticing your religion? None of that is happening to you. Your claim that your being persecuted only says your insecure in your beliefs. That isn't a personal attack, it's just what your argument says.

It doesn't matter if I'm not a christian. You aren't being physically or emotionally abused because of your religion and your not being forced or coerced to give up practicing your beliefs, therefore you're not being persecuted.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 05-11-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,686,143 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Living in this generation as a christian is hard
In perspective of the things you have wrote.

Depends on where you are at. I am from the US and have never been anywhere else. I do not pretend to know what life is like for a Christian in another country. From my perspective it is easy because I do not have to fear being killed for being vocal about my beliefs in God.

From my perspective

Being a true Christian is very hard, not because of the things you have written, it is things from scripture.

Loving my enemies.

I only need to mention that one for now. Jesus spoke of matters of the heart. It is easy to say, much harder in the depths of ones heart that others cannot see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,753,636 times
Reputation: 58198
This must have been moved from the R&P because I don't recognize some of the posters. And the responses....YIKES!! Well let me give you a different perspective on this whole thing, because I now look at things from a different perspective than I did just recently.

Without this turning into a UR vs. ET debate, I have recently begun to see EVERYTHING in a different way and it's all due to God's love. If you remember these two very important things that Jesus said, then you can't go wrong:

Matthew 22:36-40

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
38This is the first and greatest commandment.
39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Love comes first. Yes, it is extremely hard being a Christian these days but it is what you personify (Christ) that makes the difference. Love your friends and relatives through ALL the "stuff", and be who you are in Christ as an example. They will follow suit when they see your love light shining. Don't discard them........love them through it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
 
5,739 posts, read 4,586,534 times
Reputation: 4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Matthew 22:36-40

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
38This is the first and greatest commandment.
39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Love comes first. Yes, it is extremely hard being a Christian these days but it is what you personify (Christ) that makes the difference. Love your friends and relatives through ALL the "stuff", and be who you are in Christ as an example. They will follow suit when they see your love light shining. Don't discard them........love them through it all.
So beautifully said, Ilene!
Love is the most powerful thing.
God IS love.
How that energizes the soul! (and heart!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 AM
 
624 posts, read 1,047,081 times
Reputation: 614
Jesus told us that we would be hated by the world. It hated Him it will also treat His believers poorly. I suggest you count this a blessing. Do not conform yourself to this place, but prepare for eternity. We are here to be the light and salt for non-believers. We do no yoke amongst them. Do not compromise and become lukewarm like many Christians have done today. Associate with strong believers and a Bible teaching church, God bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top