U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,454,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Jesus told us that we would be hated by the world. It hated Him it will also treat His believers poorly. I suggest you count this a blessing. Do not conform yourself to this place, but prepare for eternity. We are here to be the light and salt for non-believers. We do no yoke amongst them. Do not compromise and become lukewarm like many Christians have done today. Associate with strong believers and a Bible teaching church, God bless you.
Best advice given so far!! Jesus said it would be this way......what can you do, you ask? Just love. And if that's not enough.....love some more. And when you feel that there's no more that can be done, refill your "love tank" and love some more! Trust me, He'll give you just what you need to endure.

NO, it's not easy........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

115 posts, read 229,249 times
Default My two cents..

All I can say is keep fighting the good fight. Shake all the haters off, shake all the judgmental folks off, and keep your focus on God and His Word. I lost so many friends when I reaccepted God into my life. They were like, gone head with that, whatn'd you just smoking chronic with us last weekend. I said, Yeah I was but, not today. And finally they left me alone with that statement. But believe me I feel ya, when got saved, it seemed like family was against me, friends turned they back on me, got more enemies(people that just don't like you, because they spirit conflict with your spirit).

I was raised in church from a child till I was 16, and at 16 I thought the world had something better to offer me but, the devil didn't warn of the consequences. At the age of 21, I gave my life back to God and the there was nothing like when I finally got my own fellowship with Jesus, not momma taking me or forcing me, God rest her soul. Of course, we will stumble along the way as Christians, but, it's all about will you stay down or get back up and keep fighting the good fight. In my earlier walk with God, I would fall of the wagon because the world and Christians would judge me, when I slipped. Then I came to the realization that know one on this earth has a heaven or hell to put me in. God will be the final judge. Sometimes when we slip up we feel like, God how can I come to you and I've been so disobedient. But then I remember his Word, He said, nothing can separate me from the Him. Only thing is he never leaves us but, we can lose fellowship, when we become disconnected from His Word(Life Learning), and prayer(communication), and Communing with other Christians(in other words, get you a good church home, not perfect because there are no perfect churches, just a perfect God).

Note: At 21, I met a guy walking down the street, and you know his purpose was good, but he's telling me, "a brother do you know Christ"? and I was like yes I do, and I told him I have been in a backsliding state for a few years now. So he starts telling what he has never done. (I never drank, I never smoked weed, I never cussed.) So at that moment, I was like instead of telling me what you don't do, tell help me, what do you do that is not right in the site of God? Because there is only one who was perfected and that's Jesus. And his mouth fell open and he immediatley ran away from me because I stunned him with that statement. So don't let know one discourage you, no matter what surroundings. Always know who you are in God. "Remember many can go down the wide path but, very few will make down that narrow path."
Romans 8:38-39

38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,687,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
And once again, statistics are valid proof while your say so is nothing more than personal opinion.

I can say what persecution actually is. What you call persecution isn't persecution. No one's physically or emotionally abusing you. Why do you even care if people make fun of you? You need to learn how to brush off menial things like being made fun of. Have you recieved death threats? Have you been beaten, hit, kicked or punched because your a christian? Are people forcing you to convert to atheism? Are there laws prohibiting you from praticing your religion? None of that is happening to you. Your claim that your being persecuted only says your insecure in your beliefs. That isn't a personal attack, it's just what your argument says.

It doesn't matter if I'm not a christian. You aren't being physically or emotionally abused because of your religion and your not being forced or coerced to give up practicing your beliefs, therefore you're not being persecuted.
Okay, you're right. Being a Christian is really easy. Thanks for enlightening me on what it's like to be a Christian from someone who isn't one.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,722,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I do not hear voices, Being a christian is fun, great and joyful. but at times.... it is hard. I dont try to get my family and friends to be "like me". I just wish some people would be more respectful. but like some of you say.. no one is perfect. except for jesus. and I apologize if I offended anyone.
I understand what you're saying and I know you didn't intend to offend anyone. I would agree that love is the most important thing. Look for their good qualities and appreciate them. I know people who cuss a lot, but they'd give you the shirt off their back. You know? Christians tend to have a little list of those most unacceptable sins that they pay attention to, but forget about pride, greed, gluttony, being judgmental, etc. Try to overlook those pet peeves or you'll probably display a countenance of disapproval that will not help lead anyone to Christ. Hang in there and just keep loving them, and pray for them.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

15,040 posts, read 7,550,070 times
Quote:
it's hard for me at times too.
It is hard. The apostle Paul said the same thing. He said the good he wanted to do, he didn't; and the bad stuff he didn't want to do, that's the stuff he ended up doing. Seemed like he got pretty frustrated with himself sometimes, but he always kept in mind that it was the Holy Spirit in him that was responsible for living out the Christian life. That's where the power comes from to love others and to live the way you desire to.

Paul said that the way to allow yourself to be transformed into the image of the loving God was to renew your mind. Think on things that are good, noble, true, pure, lovely, admirable, praiseworthy. You don't have to separate yourself from other people to do that. But you do probably need to stop focusing on what other people (and even you yourself) are doing that you think isn't "Christian". If you're focusing on that, then you aren't thinking on the things that renew your mind and transform you.

Change your focus. That's really all it comes down to, imho. Stop focusing on sin, and start focusing on God's love. When you see your sister caring for her child in a way that shows love, focus on that instead of focusing on how you think she shouldn't have had the baby out of wedlock. When your father speaks, listen for the things he says that show that he loves you, no matter how imperfectly. You'll begin to see your family through God's eyes. You'll begin to care more about loving them and others and that will change you.

What you focus on, is what you become. Focus on God, who is love.

My .02.

ETA: I see BrighterHope was posting the same idea at the same time, a lot more succinctly.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM

5,422 posts, read 4,665,658 times
Quote:
when I turn my life over too god, I notice most of my friends curse do bad things and im stuck in the middle. like God is telling me not to these things. I love my friends and family, even my own dad will curse, it makes me want to tell him to stop. but no one is going to listen to me.

being a christian is hard in today's world. I dont curse, I dont lie, and I dont get into dirty conversation's with friends and have quit talking to some of them as a result of my faith. I dont know how to live like a perfect guy, my sister and father are both grown as I am. she had a child out of wedlock. and I just dont agree with that. I dont know what to do. I cant make everyone live perfect. it's hard for me at times too. VERY HARD not to curse and talk about "guy" things.
God called us to separation, not inclusion. We can share the Gospel with sinners, but don't hang out with them. You will never win people for Christ by compromising with them.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,392,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
God called us to separation, not inclusion. We can share the Gospel with sinners, but don't hang out with them. You will never win people for Christ by compromising with them.
Yes.. if you are not strong enough to refuse to sin with them then you shouldn't be around them... but if you are (and it sounds like the OP is) then why sever the relationship? Love them..

Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,686,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus hung with the people the religious said to stay away from. And in fact was accused of being like them.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM

461 posts, read 494,256 times
Ah, yes. Let's just hang around with "Christians." Let's wall ourselves off from the world.

Where would the world be today if the early Christians walled themselves off from the world? Dead.

And this is what Jesus said? Like to the 500 he sent out?

And then find a Bible-teaching church. Oh, yes. Let us build a faith around a tome of writings. Let us put the Law back into Christianity.

Why not a church that teaches the philosophy of the Christ: love one another. Be a light to the world. Witness by living a life that shows the uncompromising, undiscerning, non-discriminating love to all people, regardless of background, faith, and the effects of being brain damaged, which we all share as a common disease.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM

15,040 posts, read 7,550,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Witness by living a life that shows the uncompromising, undiscerning, non-discriminating love to all people, regardless of background, faith, and the effects of being brain damaged, which we all share as a common disease.

My favorite line in your post. So very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or