Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,971 times

Advertisements

when I turn my life over too god, I notice most of my friends curse do bad things and im stuck in the middle. like God is telling me not to these things. I love my friends and family, even my own dad will curse, it makes me want to tell him to stop. but no one is going to listen to me.

being a christian is hard in today's world. I dont curse, I dont lie, and I dont get into dirty conversation's with friends and have quit talking to some of them as a result of my faith. I dont know how to live like a perfect guy, my sister and father are both grown as I am. she had a child out of wedlock. and I just dont agree with that. I dont know what to do. I cant make everyone live perfect. it's hard for me at times too. VERY HARD not to curse and talk about "guy" things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
It's a shame you've quit talking to some of your friends because of your faith. From the sound of things, some people in your family may be next on your list.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Too bad your faith is going to isolate you from everyone that loves you..

Moderator cut: rude.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-10-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
when I turn my life over too god, I notice most of my friends curse do bad things and im stuck in the middle. like God is telling me not to these things. I love my friends and family, even my own dad will curse, it makes me want to tell him to stop. but no one is going to listen to me.

being a christian is hard in today's world. I dont curse, I dont lie, and I dont get into dirty conversation's with friends and have quit talking to some of them as a result of my faith. I dont know how to live like a perfect guy, my sister and father are both grown as I am. she had a child out of wedlock. and I just dont agree with that. I dont know what to do. I cant make everyone live perfect. it's hard for me at times too. VERY HARD not to curse and talk about "guy" things.
It sounds like you should manage your own life instead of worrying about how others live. From the sounds of it they aren't hurting anyone else so your 'problems' are really rather superfluous. Given the fact that the U.S. is 75% christian it's rather doubtful it's hard for a christian to live in today's world.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
God has given you friends and family. And you are more than willing to abandon what God has given you because you believe that God would not approve of your associations.

Maybe your faith has misled you about the true nature of God, and maybe you need to seek advice outside of your faith.

Moderator cut: inappropriate}

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-10-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
Yeah, just worry about you. You could tell your family to please not cuss around you, but for the most part, just work on what you want to change about you. Do what you have to do, but remember that they (as we all are) are flawed, and love your family and friends as they are, unless they are dragging you down in a major way. I don't think that cussing is a reason to be done with them, though.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 PM

460 posts, read 593,115 times
Being a Christian and living a "perfect" life smacks of Rabbinism, which was the Judaic equivalent of living a life separate from the rest of the world, its emphasis on ME showing God how righteous and perfect the individual is.

IMO, being a Christian is not living a "perfect" life but exuding Christ's love to the rest of the world.

If one is to be a Christian, then that person becomes a light to the world. Not a proselytizing light, whereby everyone has to live a cookie-cutter life according to one person's (i.e., a minister, evangelist, priest, et. al.) interpretation of showing the world what a Christian is supposed to be like. Rather, the light to the world is both a personal way of living life (witnessing) and being in the world, not separate.

That people live a life seemingly contrary to what your (or my) "ideal" of what a Christian should be--or must be--does not mean that they are rejected by God. God accepts all; otherwise, the whole Gospel of the Christ is negated. The Christ came to save all, not just a few; and, everyone is saved, whether they really want to be or not.

In a world that is spiritually deficient, our job is not to convert everyone. Besides, to whose idea would we want to convert everyone to? Yours? Mine? A local minister? A multi-million dollar generating TV evangelist?

Our job is to simply love. Love unconditionally. Walling oneself up behind religious barriers makes reaching out and loving our fellow man very, very difficult. We are also not "called" to judge or associate ourselves with only like-minded people. We are called to get out there and get "dirty." Again, not to proselytize but to lead a life where the light or love of God shines.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 PM

87 posts, read 134,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post

Matthew 22:37-40
"Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Galatians 5:14
"For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

What may be happening with you is that you're so focused on trying to perfect your own personal habits that you may be overlooking the most important part of being a Christian which is loving God and also loving other people. Accept that your family and friends are not perfect just as you are not perfect either. Accept that you cannot force them to live your life or to embrace your personal religious ideals, but that you can still love them. And accept that if you want to avoid things such as cursing you do it by controlling your own actions even in light of other people who may see or do things differently. Learning to do that is part of our personal growth. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM

171 posts, read 212,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue_summer View Post
Matthew 22:37-40
"Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Galatians 5:14
"For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

What may be happening with you is that you're so focused on trying to perfect your own personal habits that you may be overlooking the most important part of being a Christian which is loving God and also loving other people. Accept that your family and friends are not perfect just as you are not perfect either. Accept that you cannot force them to live your life or to embrace your personal religious ideals, but that you can still love them. And accept that if you want to avoid things such as cursing you do it by controlling your own actions even in light of other people who may see or do things differently. Learning to do that is part of our personal growth. Just my opinion, of course.

Well Said,

To think you are perfect is crazy.. God knows we are all not perfect. He doesn't place the burdon on us to be perfect; so why would you place that on your friends and family. My family is not the best as well. But, I pray for them daily. I always make sure my actions are lined up with GOD and when i fall short I ask for forgiveness. I don't judge them for their actions, I love them in spite of them.. Such as God loves us... Just pray about it and ask what Jesus would do.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,971 times
I do not hear voices, Being a christian is fun, great and joyful. but at times.... it is hard. I dont try to get my family and friends to be "like me". I just wish some people would be more respectful. but like some of you say.. no one is perfect. except for jesus. and I apologize if I offended anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity