U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,418,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think I'm sitting on top of the campfire Elmer!!
Is "campfire" another euphemism for "hell"?

Or maybe you mean God's consuming campfire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,579,456 times
Any child of His would desire His fire - except ETers, that is.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,926,045 times
If you want to avoid hell, keep the heck out of Baltimore.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,766,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Is "campfire" another euphemism for "hell"?

Or maybe you mean God's consuming campfire!
Yeah, that's what I meant!! God's consuming campfire!!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,579,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee. (Isa 60:2)

This is the legacy of a son.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,766,924 times
Quote:
LOL....that's what I've heard!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,418,833 times
Quote:
LOL never been there. I think there is literally a town called "hell" in Michigan...

Has anyone been over to Jerusalem and visited Gehenna? Some day I would like to travel there, just so I can see for myself that there is no longer any unquenchable fire there. Then I can tell people I've been to hell and back!

1,897 posts, read 1,724,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hell is an unpleasant thought.
Why do people who believe in a literal lake of fire constantly downplay the concept? An unpleasant thought? Is that all? Why not come right out and say how bad it really is. Can you explain in detail what you think it will be like for someone there?

Quote:
Being a Universalist doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't saved.
That's great that you realize that!

Quote:
It depends on if they ever had the good sense to understand the issue involved in salvation before being deceived into the universalist belief system.
Now you've added "good sense to understand the issue" as a qualification in addition to believing in Jesus.
Quote:
To clarify, a new believer doesn't know God beyond that which was necessary to know in order to make a decision to place his faith in Christ.
Scripture, please?

Quote:
But after salvation, there is an entire realm of doctrine that God expects the believer to learn. Most believers never learn these things and remain spiritual infants all of their Christian lives.
Matthew 22:36-40:
36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

If you don't follow the first two commandments, all that studying is useless to God.

[/quote]

5,925 posts, read 5,693,976 times
Quote:
What Does the Bible Say about Hell?
Nothing.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM

428 posts, read 692,478 times
Quote:
You seem unable to understand the issue. The issue is that you must believe in Christ in order to be saved. Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.

However, if a person doesn't believe in the lake of fire, then they don't understand the issue with regard to what salvation saves them from. It means also that they are calling God a liar. The Bible is crystal clear in its message that hell exists and is the eternal destination for those who die without Christ.

You are also quite mistaken in saying that no one knows there is a God or a hell. The Scriptures declare the existence of God and the fingerprints of God are all over the Scriptures. And Jesus Christ who Himself is God manifested Himself in the flesh and came into the world to pay the penalty for sin.

I will say to you one more time. If you die without believing in Christ for salvation you will spend eternity in the lake of fire. That is the truth of the matter.
First point--the Bible is NOT "crystal clear" in it's message that hell is the eternal destination for those who die without Christ. Bad translations are crystal clear to those who don't bother to dig deeper into the original languages of the Bible themselves.

Second point--You are stating that everyone KNOWS that God and hell are real because of the Bible. That is incorrect. You have to BELIEVE with FAITH, which is incomprehensible to the unbeliever. How are printed words on a page ABSOLUTE proof of God or hell? PROOF would be seeing, touching, experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or