Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,100,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Romans 10:9 Confess, and you are saved!
All will confess. And there are no "second chances," as Mike put it. Salvation is a complete work of God. It is finished. Some will believe now and some will believe by sight, like Paul and Thomas. Unbelievers will be changed when they are "baptized with fire" by God, "a consuming fire."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,168,527 times
I wonder exactly what kind of paganism the Hebrews were told to stay away from. Probably the myths of Egypt, for sure. They picked up a lot of strange and terrible things, one being the BURNING of their children that GOD HATED! The "Christian" church has not behaved ANY differently than how the Jews behaved. They have done exactly the same thing, actually.

The Christian church could not have had the violent history that it has had without this pagan thought (Dante's Hell, etc) thoroughly entrenched into its midst. The fact of the matter is, the UNITED STATES is built on paganism and USURY! As I recall, GOT HATED BOTH with a vengeance! He will bring Babylon down!

The world-wide religious systems are indeed Babylon. And the nations are in league with these religions. Check the images on your bills that you carry around to buy and sell with, pyramids and all.

We were never a Christian nation. True Christianity has been dead in the water for a VERY LONG TIME!

Why do we need to threaten the humans with "the all-loving God is going to set you on fire for eternity" garbage?!

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 PM

32,903 posts, read 26,127,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I find it interesting that a believer in once-saved-always-saved is against universalism...
The eternal security of the believer and the false teaching of universalism are worlds apart. The eternal security of one who has believed in Christ for salvation is the reality of the word of God. The false teaching that all men are going to be saved is a lie directly from the mind of Satan and promoted by those whom he has deceived.

Quote:
The only thing separating the two is a confession... IMO

Why does the eternal fate of some rest on a confession?

Eternal salvation results from a change of mind about Christ, which is what true repentence is. The issue in salvation is placing your trust-faith-belief in Christ.

Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.

The merit is not in the faith but rather, the merit is in the object of faith, which in salvation is Jesus Christ.

The work of Jesus Christ on the Cross was for everyone, but it is only applied to those who desire to come to God through Jesus Christ.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Salvation is conditional on belief in Christ.

Quote:
Funny that the title of that link is "what does the bible say about hell" considering it says nothing about hell...
The entire article is about hell.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I wonder exactly what kind of paganism the Hebrews were told to stay away from. Probably the myths of Egypt, for sure. They picked up a lot of strange and terrible things, one being the BURNING of their children that GOD HATED! The "Christian" church has not behaved ANY differently than how the Jews behaved. They have done exactly the same thing, actually.

The Christian church could not have had the violent history that it has had without this pagan thought (Dante's Hell, etc) thoroughly entrenched into its midst. The fact of the matter is, the UNITED STATES is built on paganism and USURY! As I recall, GOT HATED BOTH with a vengeance! He will bring Babylon down!

The world-wide religious systems are indeed Babylon. And the nations are in league with these religions. Check the images on your bills that you carry around to buy and sell with, pyramids and all.

We were never a Christian nation. True Christianity has been dead in the water for a VERY LONG TIME!

Why do we need to threaten the humans with "the all-loving God is going to set you on fire for eternity" garbage?!

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid!
The reality of hell-the lake of fire has nothing to do with Dante's story of hell.

Hell is a place where the unbeliever spends eternity in utter ruin and uselessness in torment and despair along with every other person who rejected Christ and along with Satan and the angels that followed him when he rebelled against God.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,100,718 times
Why do people who believe in hell carry on their daily lives without constantly warning people about hell? Doesn't the bible say the second greatest commandment is to love others as ourselves? If hell is a literal fire, then nothing else in this entire world matters - NOTHING! If I'm wrong, I wish someone would name one thing that is as important as preventing people from burning forever.

I'm not being judgmental because I ask myself quite often why I was like that for so many years, but I still don't have a definite answer for that. We as Christians are not taught to worry that much about it. Ever wonder why? Why do people go to church and meet with other believers, and then go about their merry way? Why do churches think they have time to help their members grow spiritually and have fun, when people right outside the doors (and inside) are dying and supposedly going to hell? Are you going to stand before God and be proud of your knowledge of the bible, while your next door neighbor or your child's teacher are burning for eternity?

How can anyone who loves God and loves others as themselves enjoy a nice dinner out, without knowing whether or not their waiter is on his way to hell? How can they have peace if friends, co-workers, or family members might be going to hell? How can they go anywhere and look another human being in the eye without warning them about hell? Maybe Christians really don't believe what they say they do about a literal fire. If they really do, I'm quite sure God is watching to see if they really love their neighbor. It seems you wouldn't really even have to love them a whole lot to try to keep them from burning forever. Just a little bit of love should take care of that. Right? If a perfect stranger were about to be stung by a bee, most people would warn them. Why don't they warn them of hell?

When I finally did care enough about all people, even total strangers, to cry out to God to ask Him what He wanted me to do, He revealed his true character to me and the Holy Spirit showed me that God would never burn anyone for eternity, and that Jesus is indeed the Savior of the World!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,168,527 times
I wonder why all creatures under the earth, in the earth, in the heavens are singing God's praises in the end?

And I truly do wonder why the Bible says that God was reconciling things in heaven and earth!

Why does he need to reconcile things in heaven? Does something in the heavenlies need reconciling?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,715,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

The saviour of all mankind, however, in this verse and context there are two sets of people, all mankind, and those who believe. Yes indeed He has offered (keyword SIN OFFERING) everyone the chance at salvation because they have been redeemed, their sins atoned for, yet Paul hammers in, but it is only EFFECTIVE FOR THOSE THAT BELIEVE.

Adding to scripture again are we?

The scripture does not say ... "... God, who is the savior of all men, but it is only EFFECTIVE FOR THOSE THAT BELIEVE" ...

It say especially those that believe ...

The same word used in these verses ...

Gal 6:10
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

It doesn't say "only EFFECTIVE" unto them that are of the household of faith.

And again ...

1Ti 5:17
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

It doesn't say, "only EFFECTIVE" for they who labor in the word and doctrine.

And yet again ...

2Ti 4:13
The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

It doesn't say, "only EFECTIVE" for the parchments ...

Your funny Sciotamicks ...

The word translated especially is malista, and it means moreover, not "only EFFECTIVE" ...

Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,715,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I wonder why all creatures under the earth, in the earth, in the heavens are singing God's praises in the end?

And I truly do wonder why the Bible says that God was reconciling things in heaven and earth!

Why does he need to reconcile things in heaven? Does something in the heavenlies need reconciling?

Eph 6:12
because we have not the wrestling with blood and flesh, but with the principalities, with the authorities, with the world-rulers of the darkness of this age, with the spiritual things of the evil in the heavenly places;

Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
All will confess. And there are no "second chances," as Mike put it. Salvation is a complete work of God. It is finished. Some will believe now and some will believe by sight, like Paul and Thomas. Unbelievers will be changed when they are "baptized with fire" by God, "a consuming fire."
Do not twist and distort what I have said in an attempt to push your agenda.

The baptism of fire is the judgment of all Tribulational unbelievers when Christ returns at the end of the tribulation and throws them off the earth and into the eternal fire. John the Baptist prophecied this in Matthew 3:11 The details of this judgment of unbelievers at this time is spoken of in Matthew 24:36-41 and 25:31-46.

During the Millennium which starts out with believers only, there will be many people born who reject Christ even though He is physically on the earth ruling from the throne of David in Jerusalem.

There will come a moment when all will acknowledge that Christ is Lord, but unbelievers won't do it willingly, for the time for that is passed the moment they die without Christ. Before being thrown into hell, the unbeliever will acknowledge in fear and as a defeated enemy of Christ, that He is Lord. Not Savior, but Lord. For Christ is Lord of all. Even of those who have rejected Him and will spend eternity in hell because of it. Phil. 2:9-12 Therefore also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name. 10) that at the name of Jesus EVERY SHOULD BOW, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth. (This includes all unbelievers and probably the fallen angels as well, which will be forced to acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord of all. And then they will go into the lake of fire). 11) and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
its a place you get to by a lot of consistent bad decisions. it does not happen overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity