U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Reputation: 17565

Advertisements

Found it:
Numbers 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's what they'll claim a tithe is, if they stick to a strict definition. I've also seen those who say "Give until it hurts"...and for some 10% would hurt.

I don't even get 10% of my pay in discretionary money. I'm certainly not giving it to a church!
lol! That's a good point. If I could have 10% of my pay every month to do as I pleased, I have a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
 
621 posts, read 946,690 times
Reputation: 547
I started Tithing 10 years ago faithfully and I went through some tough times in those ten years. I had to refinance my house twice to pay for my taxes ( i'm self employed) my faith in Tithing was tested more than once through the last ten years. When I made my decision to Tithe I was making $50,000 a year in 2000, this year 2010, I will probably make over $500,000, I owe it all to God and I am only posting this to help build your faith that Tithing works!
By the way I Tithed on my gross pay not net.

Be Blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,263 posts, read 20,865,688 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
I started Tithing 10 years ago faithfully and I went through some tough times in those ten years. I had to refinance my house twice to pay for my taxes ( i'm self employed) my faith in Tithing was tested more than once through the last ten years. When I made my decision to Tithe I was making $50,000 a year in 2000, this year 2010, I will probably make over $500,000, I owe it all to God and I am only posting this to help build your faith that Tithing works!
By the way I Tithed on my gross pay not net.

Be Blessed!
Sorry, this is kind of off topic, but what on earth kind of work do you do to make a half a million dollars a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,191 times
Reputation: 13
Those who judge others as selfish for not giving are SOOO much like the pharisee who boasted about his giving....and went home not being made righteous (Yes, Jesus taught that being proud of your tithing WOULD demonstrate you were on your way to HELL)

Most church tithing produces self righteous judgemental hypocrites who have never walked a mile in the shoes of the POOR.

Most who claim to 'tithe' are clueless about what the bible actually teaches that 'tithing IS to be according to GOD'....and NO-ONE can actually tithe biblically today.

To 'obey the Law of Tithing' we would have to do the following:-

1) Become an Israelite...the tithing Law was given to them only (Lev 27:34)
2) Own land in the borders of the 'Promised Land'.....only tithes from the promised land are acceptable to God (Deut 4:1-2)
3) Give 'grain from the soil or fruit from from trees'... animals from 'the herd or the flock' (Lev 27:30-32)....Money from income earned was NEVER to be tithed
4) Only ever give it to a LEVITE....Number 18:21-24...this is a lasting covenant God made with Levi
5) The Levites ONLY got the tithe because they first forfeited their inheritance in the promised land (see above and Deut 24:27-29 and Deut 26:13)...Preachers today still own houses!
6) Eat your tithe with your family and friends for 2 years at festivals....(Deut 14:22-27)
7) Share the tithe with the POOR in the third year (Deut 14:28-29 and Deut 26:12-15)


Jesus said if you change one 'jot or tittle of the Law' you will be least in the kingdom of heaven. Deut 4:1-2 warns against this too.

Those who change the LAW of tithing (Mat 23:23 and Heb 7:5) are FALSE teachers who need to REPENT

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM
 
Location: South Florida
167 posts, read 142,260 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithingtruth View Post
Those who judge others as selfish for not giving are SOOO much like the pharisee who boasted about his giving....and went home not being made righteous (Yes, Jesus taught that being proud of your tithing WOULD demonstrate you were on your way to HELL)

Most church tithing produces self righteous judgemental hypocrites who have never walked a mile in the shoes of the POOR.

Most who claim to 'tithe' are clueless about what the bible actually teaches that 'tithing IS to be according to GOD'....and NO-ONE can actually tithe biblically today.

To 'obey the Law of Tithing' we would have to do the following:-

1) Become an Israelite...the tithing Law was given to them only (Lev 27:34)
2) Own land in the borders of the 'Promised Land'.....only tithes from the promised land are acceptable to God (Deut 4:1-2)
3) Give 'grain from the soil or fruit from from trees'... animals from 'the herd or the flock' (Lev 27:30-32)....Money from income earned was NEVER to be tithed
4) Only ever give it to a LEVITE....Number 18:21-24...this is a lasting covenant God made with Levi
5) The Levites ONLY got the tithe because they first forfeited their inheritance in the promised land (see above and Deut 24:27-29 and Deut 26:13)...Preachers today still own houses!
6) Eat your tithe with your family and friends for 2 years at festivals....(Deut 14:22-27)
7) Share the tithe with the POOR in the third year (Deut 14:28-29 and Deut 26:12-15)


Jesus said if you change one 'jot or tittle of the Law' you will be least in the kingdom of heaven. Deut 4:1-2 warns against this too.

Those who change the LAW of tithing (Mat 23:23 and Heb 7:5) are FALSE teachers who need to REPENT

Chris

AMEN a thousand times!!!!!!:

Last edited by sunnysmyler; 10-22-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
 
428 posts, read 242,113 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithingtruth View Post
Those who judge others as selfish for not giving are SOOO much like the pharisee who boasted about his giving....and went home not being made righteous (Yes, Jesus taught that being proud of your tithing WOULD demonstrate you were on your way to HELL)

Most church tithing produces self righteous judgemental hypocrites who have never walked a mile in the shoes of the POOR.

Most who claim to 'tithe' are clueless about what the bible actually teaches that 'tithing IS to be according to GOD'....and NO-ONE can actually tithe biblically today.

To 'obey the Law of Tithing' we would have to do the following:-

1) Become an Israelite...the tithing Law was given to them only (Lev 27:34)
2) Own land in the borders of the 'Promised Land'.....only tithes from the promised land are acceptable to God (Deut 4:1-2)
3) Give 'grain from the soil or fruit from from trees'... animals from 'the herd or the flock' (Lev 27:30-32)....Money from income earned was NEVER to be tithed
4) Only ever give it to a LEVITE....Number 18:21-24...this is a lasting covenant God made with Levi
5) The Levites ONLY got the tithe because they first forfeited their inheritance in the promised land (see above and Deut 24:27-29 and Deut 26:13)...Preachers today still own houses!
6) Eat your tithe with your family and friends for 2 years at festivals....(Deut 14:22-27)
7) Share the tithe with the POOR in the third year (Deut 14:28-29 and Deut 26:12-15)


Jesus said if you change one 'jot or tittle of the Law' you will be least in the kingdom of heaven. Deut 4:1-2 warns against this too.

Those who change the LAW of tithing (Mat 23:23 and Heb 7:5) are FALSE teachers who need to REPENT

Chris
Good point. It's OK to give but if you call it tithing your changing God word for we cannot tithe according to scripture. ANd Jesus did not tithe either. Now can anyone tell me why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 1,941,503 times
Reputation: 322
MT 6:9-13 After this manner therefore pray you: Our Father which is in Heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done in earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For yours is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

Nothing in this prayer says we need to give a tithe to have our needs meet. He is our Heavenly Father who takes care of us because we ask. The tithe was for Old Testament Jews, so as to show them how to be generous and a part of it went to the poor who could not give a tithe. The New Testament standard has no fixed number on it. It simply says to give as one prospers and to be generous with a cheerful heart. Don't expect the poor to be too cheerful when they can't even pay the bills until they prosper.

Giving is a practical way to show the love that He freely gave us. It is not a way to gain God's favor. Favor is a free gift least any man should boast.


GAL 2:14 "But when I [Paul] saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If you, being a Jew, live after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why do you compell the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?"

Those who demand the tithe should bear the burden of shame that they put on poor who can't give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 11:16 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 1,941,503 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithingtruth View Post
Those who judge others as selfish for not giving are SOOO much like the pharisee who boasted about his giving....and went home not being made righteous (Yes, Jesus taught that being proud of your tithing WOULD demonstrate you were on your way to HELL)

Most church tithing produces self righteous judgemental hypocrites who have never walked a mile in the shoes of the POOR.

Most who claim to 'tithe' are clueless about what the bible actually teaches that 'tithing IS to be according to GOD'....and NO-ONE can actually tithe biblically today.

To 'obey the Law of Tithing' we would have to do the following:-

1) Become an Israelite...the tithing Law was given to them only (Lev 27:34)
2) Own land in the borders of the 'Promised Land'.....only tithes from the promised land are acceptable to God (Deut 4:1-2)
3) Give 'grain from the soil or fruit from from trees'... animals from 'the herd or the flock' (Lev 27:30-32)....Money from income earned was NEVER to be tithed
4) Only ever give it to a LEVITE....Number 18:21-24...this is a lasting covenant God made with Levi
5) The Levites ONLY got the tithe because they first forfeited their inheritance in the promised land (see above and Deut 24:27-29 and Deut 26:13)...Preachers today still own houses!
6) Eat your tithe with your family and friends for 2 years at festivals....(Deut 14:22-27)
7) Share the tithe with the POOR in the third year (Deut 14:28-29 and Deut 26:12-15)


Jesus said if you change one 'jot or tittle of the Law' you will be least in the kingdom of heaven. Deut 4:1-2 warns against this too.

Those who change the LAW of tithing (Mat 23:23 and Heb 7:5) are FALSE teachers who need to REPENT

Chris
Amen and Amen!
I so wish others like you would preach it as it is. My wife fought me on this issue to no end. False teaching brings a lot of trouble into homes and among friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
 
17,689 posts, read 8,866,529 times
Reputation: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry, this is kind of off topic, but what on earth kind of work do you do to make a half a million dollars a year?
Makes you wonder what happened in the last couple of years?
Is he still tithing 50,000 a year based on his gross, or did he go into bankruptcy?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top