U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM

44 posts, read 92,597 times

Advertisements

I have heard many teachings on tithing, giving etc. It's all a matter of individual interpretation. Who says your interpretation is the correct one. Like I said before I will continue to do what I do. I'm done with this discussion. I will stay out of this forum and any other religious one. I don't like debating about God's word. It's not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM

33 posts, read 37,056 times
NewJW - No one is debating God's Word. We are debating man's interpretation of God's Word.

Best way to determine if your beliefs are truth or lies is to line them up with the Bible. IF what you believe lines up perfectly, it is truth. IF what you believe doesn't line up with the Bible, better study more.

Example: IF you believe you are to pay God's tithe on your income and take it to the church, find it in scripture. IF it isn't there, better study more.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:02 PM

7,863 posts, read 6,671,409 times
if believers believe that they are to pay the gross amount of their income that they do not see any thing wrong than that is what they must do to. ... If other people pay the tithe without figuring out the pretax and they believe that is what they do, than they must do that.......If widows in want pay a mite and no tithes and are blessed and this is what they want and when they believe that they must do that......I believer pay a five percent and a this is what they they do and this is what they must do......See as Believers in Jesus Christ we are blessed in the Spirit and not under the law.....We pay charity and Jesus pays charity it is the fruit of the Spirit and not under they law.... There are many preachers that say believers will go to Hell if they do not pay tithes which is error, we are not under the law....But if you give and believe that you can receive charity from Jesus than there is no law....... Giving is a point of contact for the Word of God so Jesus can bless his people.... Some preacher preach that if you can not receive from Jesus when you only pay the tithes which is also error and legalism and robs God of Blessing these people who believe these errors....The Word of God says `` Bring your tithes and offering and I will pore out a blessing that you will not be able to contain it ``.... It does not say bring your offering after you pay your tithes first so I can pore out a blessing ``...

Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 PM

701 posts, read 658,538 times
I personally pay tithe/offering of 15% on my pre-tax income, therefore I don't tithe any tax refunds. Tithing is all about obedience and faith in God. God doesn't need a single dime to accomplish the spreading of His word. He could produce gold at will if He wanted to.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,687,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Tithing is all about obedience and faith in God. God doesn't need a single dime to accomplish the spreading of His word. He could produce gold at will if He wanted to.
Amen! People seem to forget this!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Amen! People seem to forget this!
Can someone give scripture to back up that tithing has something to do with obedience? Also, give scripture to show me exactly which commands you are being obedient to.

Are you being obedient to Leviticus 27:30-33 where God says His tithe is a tenth of crops and animals?

Are you being obedient to Numbers 18 where God gave the command to take His tithe to the Levites?

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT VERSES ARE YOU BEING OBEDIENT TO? Have you even bothered to open your Bible to see what God's Word says OR are you believing what man has told you?

Are you putting your trust in your Pastor, OR are you putting your trust in God's Word?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyarnold View Post
Can someone give scripture to back up that tithing has something to do with obedience?
Anything God tells us to do has something to do with obedience. And not doing it has something to do with disobedience.

Quote:
Are you being obedient to Leviticus 27:30-33 where God says His tithe is a tenth of crops and animals?

Are you being obedient to Numbers 18 where God gave the command to take His tithe to the Levites?
It's about returning 10% to God of everything He has given you (all of which rightfully belongs to Him anyway). If you need to rationalize why you don't want to do that, though, these verses are as good as any.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Anything God tells us to do has something to do with obedience. And not doing it has something to do with disobedience.

It's about returning 10% to God of everything He has given you (all of which rightfully belongs to Him anyway). If you need to rationalize why you don't want to do that, though, these verses are as good as any.
All I am asking for is WHERE in God's Word does God ask for us to return to Him 10% of everything? Can't you or anyone else give me a scripture? People keep saying it, but NO ONE is giving any scripture.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyarnold View Post
All I am asking for is WHERE in God's Word does God ask for us to return to Him 10% of everything? Can't you or anyone else give me a scripture? People keep saying it, but NO ONE is giving any scripture.
2 Corinthians 31:5 says, "And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the fields; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly."

A tithe of all things means 10% of everything, at least the way I read it. (That's not the only verse that refers to a tithe paid on our "increase" either.)

Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 PM

and of all the increase of the fields

increase OF THE FIELDS - CROPS. Not a tenth of EVERYTHING.

And by the way, it's 2 Chronicles 31:5 NOT 2 Corinthians 31:5.

In EVERY instance in the Old Testament where it mentions INCREASE regarding the tithe, it is referring to PRODUCE, or CROPS. Just check the Hebrew dictionary.

Don't take part of a verse out of context.

And read the whole chapter. The people even took the tithes TO THE WRONG PLACE. It is obvious they didn't know that the firstfruits were to be taken to the Temple but the tithe was supposed to be taken to The Levites in the Levitical cities. This whole thing of the tithe was new to them. They didn't understand it. They had just heard of it and were totally confused. READ THE WHOLE STORY not just a verse or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or