U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM

33 posts, read 37,160 times

Advertisements

Katzpur – The tithe was cancelled in Hebrews. See Hebrews 7:5,12,18.

twin.spin – You’ve misquoted Hebrews 7:5

Katzpur – In Matthew 23:23 Jesus was speaking to those who were still under the Levitical priesthood. Therefore, he had to say they should be tithing. It was still required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,701,999 times
Gary, what do you have against tithing? You seem very bitter. What's so wrong with giving from our hearts? Why do you care if others tithe? In my household, when we tithe, God always blesses us. He honors a joyful giver. It's all the Lords and He has blessed my husband and I with so many things, the least I can do is give back to Him what already rightfully is His! I don't hold onto my money and be greedy. When we die we can't take it with us! It's just money.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM

9 posts, read 13,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This is the idea my parents got from their pastor. Do other believe this? I'll add that they are members of a mega church that is run by a family that lives lavish lifestyles and hides the finances of the church. They're also under investigation by the IRS, but my ignorant family has bought into this swindler lock, stock, and barrel.
So are you concerned about what man is doing or what God commanded us to do? Regardless of what they are doing with the money, the Bible is still true and tithing is required! The people mistreating the money will be held accountable for his or her actions!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Gary, what do you have against tithing? You seem very bitter. What's so wrong with giving from our hearts? Why do you care if others tithe? In my household, when we tithe, God always blesses us. He honors a joyful giver. It's all the Lords and He has blessed my husband and I with so many things, the least I can do is give back to Him what already rightfully is His! I don't hold onto my money and be greedy. When we die we can't take it with us! It's just money.
I have nothing against generous giving, but have a lot against the false teaching of tithing.

I will say it again. Tithing is NOT giving; that is, The Lord's Tithe is NOT giving. IT IS A PAYMENT. The Old Testament tithe had NOTHING to do with the heart anymore than paying your federal income tax does today.

I have read too many stories of elderly persons who were taken by lying, greedy pastors. Pastors who teach and collect the tithe are either liars or just plain ignorant of what God's Word says.

WHY do pastors have to LIE? My own previous pastor, who I thought so highly of, who I thought could do no wrong, admitted to me in a private meeting that he knows tithing ended at the cross, but that people just don't want to give so he has to make them believe God requires it, so he teaches robbing God if you don't tithe. That pastor, along with all the other lying pastors will be judged by God someday. Those pastors really need some prayers.

Again, I believe in GENEROUS, sacrificial giving, FROM THE HEART, whether it be 1% or 100% of your income. I believe the more you give, the more God will bless you. GIVING is sowing. Tithing is not. However, God knows your heart and if you, in your heart, are giving but calling it tithing, God knows.

To call giving a tenth of one's income tithing is cheapening God's tithe and is an insult to God.

The Bible warns of false teachers. I, myself, absolutely refuse to go to any church when the pastor collects The Lord's Tithe.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to show me, IN THE SCRIPTURES, where GOD COMMANDED anyone to tithe on their income. I'm still waiting for someone to show me, IN THE SCRIPTURES, where GOD COMMANDED anyone to take His tithe to the Christian Church.

God commanded THREE different tithes.

Leviticus 27:30-33 - known as THE LORD'S TITHE - a tenth of crops and animals from the Holy Land - this was a yearly tithe and the ordinances, or instructions, are in Numbers 18. This is the tithe that pastors twist and change words in and then lie to you telling you it is God's Word.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27 - known as THE FESTIVAL TITHE - a tenth of crops PLUS first-born animals (NOT a tenth of the animals) for a big feast. This was also a yearly tithe.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29 - known as THE POOR TITHE, or THREE-YEAR TITHE - a tenth of crops for the poor. No mention of animals in this tithe. This was every three years.

And because of Leviticus 25:3-7, there was NO tithe every seventh year.

IS THIS WHAT YOUR PASTOR TEACHES? If not, HE IS A FALSE TEACHER.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 PM

21,431 posts, read 21,101,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyarnold View Post
Katzpur The tithe was cancelled in Hebrews. See Hebrews 7:5,12,18.

In Matthew 23:23 Jesus was speaking to those who were still under the Levitical priesthood. Therefore, he had to say they should be tithing. It was still required.
I see. Well, you are assuming the Levitical Priesthood (i.e. the priesthood of Aaron, held anciently by those belonging to the tribe of Levi) no longer exists. I disagree with you on that, so we're unlikely to agree on the passages you have referenced.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
To call giving a tenth of one's income tithing is cheapening God's tithe and is an insult to God.
I think it's a far greater insult to God for someone who believes himself to be a Christian to judge others the way you do.

Quote:
The Bible warns of false teachers. I, myself, absolutely refuse to go to any church when the pastor collects The Lord's Tithe.
So far, I haven't seen anybody on this forum try to coerce you into attending such a church, but in all honesty, you do seem to be a bit overboard on this issue.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I see. Well, you are assuming the Levitical Priesthood (i.e. the priesthood of Aaron, held anciently by those belonging to the tribe of Levi) no longer exists. I disagree with you on that, so we're unlikely to agree on the passages you have referenced.
We're either under the Levitical priesthood with Aaron as high priest, OR we are under a priesthood where JESUS is high priest and we are all priests. The Levitical priesthood would not have allowed Jesus to be high priest since Jesus was not from the tribe of Levi.

Hebrews 7:5,12,18 tells us the Levitical priesthood ended.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think it's a far greater insult to God for someone who believes himself to be a Christian to judge others the way you do.

So far, I haven't seen anybody on this forum try to coerce you into attending such a church, but in all honesty, you do seem to be a bit overboard on this issue.
It would seem to me that Christians would be more careful as to who they believe. It is very sad, indeed, but I have found that I can't trust what a pastor says any more than what a used-car salesman says. I have to check it out for myself. Once I found the tithing lie being taught, I began to question just about every thing else the pastor says.

The Bible teaches that we SHOULD JUDGE the actions of people, just not the person's heart. Many pastors know better, but teach a lie to BRING IN MORE MONEY.

It upsets me to no end that so many people are being taken as fools by their own pastor. Pastors know that few will ever study for themselves, and that few will ever challenge what they say.

VERY SAD SITUATION.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
We're either under the Levitical priesthood with Aaron as high priest, OR we are under a priesthood where JESUS is high priest and we are all priests. The Levitical priesthood would not have allowed Jesus to be high priest since Jesus was not from the tribe of Levi.

Hebrews 7:5,12,18 tells us the Levitical priesthood ended.
That's not how I read it, gary. I believe that both the Aaronic and the Melchizedek Priesthoods exist today, and I don't believe we are all priests. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or