Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Ok thanks. I'm not sure 2 Tim 4:18 is exactly the same as the other heaven reference you posted, because it is talking about the Kingdom, but lets leave that alone for now.

Why do you think heaven (where the Father is) would end, if there is no eternal hell?
In the NIV and the KJV the phrase "heavenly kingdom" is used only once... that is in 2 Tim 4:18.

And being the word "heaven" is in the word "heavenly", just maybe you could consider that the two are the same place where the Father is. Coincidental?......I would say not. Another words, there is only one Father who resides in one heaven(ly) kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM

433 posts, read 587,170 times
Religion is "afterlife" orientated: it talks about all things that matter are in the "afterlife", but it requires real life humans do things concrete in real life ...

When are people going to realize there is nothing in religion is real?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
In the NIV and the KJV the phrase "heavenly kingdom" is used only once... that is in 2 Tim 4:18.

And being the word "heaven" is in the word "heavenly", just maybe you could consider that the two are the same place where the Father is. Coincidental?......I would say not. Another words, there is only one Father who resides in one heaven(ly) kingdom.
Certainly the Kingdom (the kingdom of heaven) and Heaven are related.

But why do you think heaven would end, if there is no eternal hell? I'm trying to understand what your basis is for thinking this. ie. what is the point of this thread?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 AM

twin, in your OP you state:

2. since eternal isn't eternal or everlasting it's going to be temporary (an age)

Perhaps what you are missing is this: just because a specific word may be mistranslated/misinterpreted as "eternal", it does not mean the concept of eternity doesn't exist.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
twin, in your OP you state:

2. since eternal isn't eternal or everlasting it's going to be temporary (an age)

Perhaps what you are missing is this: just because a specific word may be mistranslated/misinterpreted as "eternal", it does not mean the concept of eternity doesn't exist.
Like you said, the point is simple. Just because a specific word that is thought to be mistranslated/misinterpreted (which is not) does not mean eternity exists.

I believe if I remember correctly, ultimatly the only basis that is given for believing came down to four basic answers: (summed up)
  1. Jesus said so
  2. The bible
  3. eternal [everlasting] is only mistranslated/misinterpreted when it's not about heaven
  4. Logic
Don't have the time right now to expand on this...will later

Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Like you said, the point is simple. Just because a specific word that is thought to be mistranslated/misinterpreted (which is not) does not mean eternity exists.

I believe if I remember correctly, ultimatly the only basis that is given for believing came down to four basic answers: (summed up)
  1. Jesus said so
  2. The bible
  3. eternal [everlasting] is only mistranslated/misinterpreted when it's not about heaven
  4. Logic
  1. Jesus said so as long as jesus' words were translated properly
  2. The bible as long as it was translated properly
  3. eternal is always a mistranslation of aionios and is never used of heaven.
  4. logic helps as long as you have God's spirit and are not soulish for "the soulish man is not receiving that which is of the spirit of God and indeed is not able."

Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
It's not if you're going to be intellectually honest.

I do sure hope that through your tears of joy that you realize the significance of agreeing with people stating that believers have two destinies....none of which is heaven.

Good point, believers of Hell argue amongst themselves all the time resulting in 33,000 sects of belief that in general each think they are making it to a place called heaven and everyone that doesn't agree with them "might", "has a chance" "could", or probably won't.

What is lame is they all scratch their heads in their separate groups wondering why more people don't believe what they do.

I saw the significance of agreeing with people in that realm of belief a while back. That is why I left, no regrets and have gotten closer to the Lord since doing so, contradicting anyone who says what I believe will cause bad behavior and less caring about God.

With that said I do appreciate the point you have made in this thread, it is a point that faith cannot be proven and our perceptions of scripture hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of the depths of truth yet to come.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:

1. Jesus said so
  2. The bible
  4. Logic
Ok cool, I will await your response.

Regrarding #3 above:

No, I didn't say or imply that, and I don't think anyone else did either.

To be honest I don't know where you are getting this idea from, because as far as I know "heaven" is not described with the word aionios (everlasting/eternal/age-abiding/however you want to translate it) anywhere in scripture - I could have missed it though.... That's why I said you should post a scripture that you think would show heaven is not eternal, and then we have something concrete we can discuss.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
With that said I do appreciate the point you have made in this thread, it is a point that faith cannot be proven and our perceptions of scripture hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of the depths of truth yet to come.
"it is a point that faith cannot be proven"

Are you aware that it can not be proven (today) that Solomon's temple existed, or that Israel was in captivity by Egypt. God's Word is the best source for written information.

That is one of the reasons for this OP. There has to be a absolute in faith. Either Jesus (God's Word) is absolute or in it's place logic\reason.

What I mean is that Jesus (God's Word) has to be absolutly true...all of it; or if not, then ultimatly logic\reason becomes it. That's because if God's Word is absolutly true, then God's Word will [at many times] be against logic\reason.

So it is with heaven and eternity. Either you base it on God's Word that is absolute, or on logic\reason.

** It would be worth noting that the "33,000 sects" is a disputed number, mainly because:

"Between denominations, theologians, and comparative religionists there are considerable disagreements about which groups can be properly called Christian, disagreements arising primarily from doctrinal differences between groups." ( quoted from wikipedia) ......... (groups like LDS and JW's)

Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Ok cool, I will await your response.

Regrarding #3 above:

No, I didn't say or imply that, and I don't think anyone else did either.

To be honest I don't know where you are getting this idea from, because as far as I know "heaven" is not described with the word aionios (everlasting/eternal/age-abiding/however you want to translate it) anywhere in scripture - I could have missed it though.... That's why I said you should post a scripture that you think would show heaven is not eternal, and then we have something concrete we can discuss.
That is the point. God's Word does speak of heaven as eternal. Some verses has heaven being called "heavenly kingdom", "kingdom of God", "paradise", "paradise of God" and others.

And why does person believes this because? (heaven is eternal)...for no other reason other than "Jesus said so". This is the dilemma with the UR position....either all of Jesus' word [the Bible] is absolutly the truth or human reasoning is. One or the other, but not some of each. The only way there can be a eternal heaven, but not a eternal hell [damnation]...is if Jesus isn't absolutly true in everything he said [even if it appears to be contradicting]. If a person takes the liberty to deny the eternal damnation\hell words of Jesus, then a different person can with the same liberty, deny the words of Jesus that speak to the eternity of heaven.

Which prompted the question...what basis do UR have for believing (people will be) existing eternally in heaven? [when the liberty is taken to deny the absolutle truth of Jesus' words about unbelievers existing eternally in hell after being judged]

Last edited by twin.spin; 05-15-2010 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity