U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM

723 posts, read 861,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The original manuscripts could have been 100% God's word, but that's little consolation now, since we don't have a single solitary one of the originals any more. Yes, we have some very old copies, and most of them are pretty similar to each other, but as long as the hand of man is involved, either in the transcription process or the translation process, there is the possibility of error. I personally don't see that as a very good reason to throw out what's probably 99.99% correct, though.
Great point Katzpur!! I could rewrite everything, and make a new bible the way I want it to be, or the way it would fit my beliefs. Then it would be 99.98% correct!!

But it would still be my words not God's!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:18 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,718,450 times
this is worth to read:

Is the King James Authorized Version the Perfect Word of God? (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/kjv.htm - broken link)

I think any translation has errors, an English (or German) bible can never be 100% free from error

After all, translation is often a matter of interpretation

I think the Concordant Literal Translation is the most trustworthy translation

Concordant Publishing Concern

Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,130,904 times
Hi all,
just my 2 cents for today:

Until now, we still don't have a "Holy Ghost Version" of the Bible. Until then, we have to also consider the first page of the Bible we have in our hands, what is written there, such as "translated according to King James," etc...

I was just reading yesterday here about the NIV: New International Version
Certainly more food for thought!

What's more, I know that many versions have "amputated" the Bible as well. Do a search regarding Luke 9:55-56 and see what comes up. This is an even more extreme-case scenario, as it's not just a question of interpretation, but inclusion/exclusion of verses!! (I believe there are other examples of this as well..)

Perhaps the only true Bible is the one residing in the heart of every man and woman. (Rom. 10:8.)

Blessings in the Lord to all,
Brian

Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
SO let me ask you my friend...all these years that you have RAN your race for the Truth, it all boils down to what MAN interprets over the inspiration that GOD HIMSELF have given them? That's your story?

So God is no longer able to mean what He says and says what He means? I mean even if MAN made mistakes in the translation of the scriptures according to you, Isn't your one on one RELATIONSHIP with Him strong enough to decipher fact (His words) from fiction (mans) if that's what you truly believe? Wanting to understand.....
I'm still a futurist and still believe all the same things I did before....only the belief that hell meaning "the lake of fire" has changed. And that the majority of mankind is going to go there. You have to go to the greek to understand that hell does not mean what our translations portray it to mean. It's one word that has been severely mistranslated and used to mean several things when in fact it does not. Hell simply means "to cover" or "to conceal".

I'm still running the race for truth, but what is that truth? That most of mankind is going to fry for eternity? NO. That goes against everything that God IS and everything that Christ did on the cross. He bridged that gap so that we COULD become reconciled to the Father. Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation.....that is still the truth. But His death on the cross for our sins is not limited to just those who have faith. It was for ALL.....and all will be reconciled eventually.

Faith is still required for salvation. Nothing has changed in my mind about that. But we're talking about "reconciliation" to the Father after those who did not acknowledge Christ have been "refined" in God's spiritual fire. There will be a certain amount of time in "refinement" (not eternity) for all who did not recognize Christ.....it will be different for everyone because everyone lived their lives differently. It could be a 1000 years for some, and a day for others. However long it takes for them to become pure "gold" and fit for the kingdom. None of God's creation is going to be "done away with".....why would He do that? Why would He create us and then just throw most of us away? He is able and it is His desire that all men be "saved".

1 Timothy 2:3-5

3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

We see right here in this scripture that God wants ALL to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. When has there ever been a time when God did not get what He wanted? If He desires it, it will happen. And He desires it.

I don't expect you to understand why I've done a 360.....it's between me and God. My relationship with the Lord has grown stronger and the love in my heart for my fellow man has grown immensely since I found this truth. That in and of itself is a miracle and can only be attributed to God. No one talked me into it, no one coerced me, no one person had anything to do with it......it's all me and God. I love you Betsey with all of my heart and I hope this helps you understand a little bit why I'm a new person in Christ.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,696,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

1 Timothy 2:3-5

3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

We see right here in this scripture that God wants ALL to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. When has there ever been a time when God did not get what He wanted? If He desires it, it will happen. And He desires it.

God wants us to live sinless lives, yet we sin. He asked Adam and Eve to not eat the fruit, but they did. They disobeyed the Lord. Clearly, God doesn't always get what He wants.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 05-13-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,393,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
God wants us to live sinless lives, yet we sin. He asked Adam and Eve to not eat the fruit, but they did. They disobeyed the Lord. Clearly, God doesn't always get what He wants.
He does get what He wants!

If this were a chess game, who has the final move?

Here's to the END OF ALL THINGS!

LOVE CONQUERS ALL~

Last edited by herefornow; 05-13-2010 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 PM

5,441 posts, read 4,693,041 times
We're getting down to razor's edge; the falling away from the faith is in earnest. This is yet another sign that Jesus is at the door for sure!

1 Tim. 4
[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
[2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

God help us!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 PM

75 posts, read 95,600 times
Get over it, half the stuff in there has been made up by men...one thing I really don't get is how SOME Christians say "Jesus is the human form of God" that's some huge BS. First of all, he's known as "The son of God" 'cause we're all brothers and sisters and God is like our father...you see how some Christians got that misunderstood? But whatever, I really have no right to say anything, everyone believes in different things.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Clearly He DOES!!! God is God and whatever He purposes or desires ALWAYS comes to pass. I am one who does not believe in free will and I believe it was all part of God's plan for Adam and Eve to sin. If they had not sinned, then their children would have. Because God willed it.

Why would He do that? Don't know, maybe to teach us right from wrong. But you are fooling yourself if you think that it was not part of God's plan.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
We're getting down to razor's edge; the falling away from the faith is in earnest. This is yet another sign that Jesus is at the door for sure!

1 Tim. 4
[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
[2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

God help us!
Huh? What does this have to do with mistranslations? Who is falling away from the faith?

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 05-13-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or