Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Ok. So you have this book you call the bible. It talks about this place using the English word "hell".

Then I show you another book, which is also the bible. But it doesn't talk about a place using the English word "hell". Instead it talks about a place called the "grave".

Are "hell" and the "grave" the same thing? Are they both the word of God? Is one of these books a misinterpretation? Which one? How do you know? And how can you say that one of them is not mistranslated? No matter how you spin it, the "grave" is not the same as "hell". This is where you need to research what the passages are actually saying and whether it matches the common ideas of what "hell" and the "grave" are.

For example, the KJV says God is in hell (Psalm 139:8). Does that sound right according to what you know and what the rest of scripture says?
Lego,

The verse you are reffering to does not say that God is in hell it says if I make my bed in hell thou art there, meaning that God is everywhere. How does the saying go: "You made your bed now lie in it". Because I have made my bed in hell (or the second death) then that is where I will end up. The first part of that verse in Psalm says that if I ascend up into heaven thou art there, but it does not say "if I descend down into hell". There is no literal place called hell but rather a state you are in ............"DEAD"......... as in the second death!! When you are in the grave you are ................."DEAD".............. the first death!! It is speaking of different deaths, but death none the less.

(MATTHEW 10:28) "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

You see, if you are in this state called "HELL" it is when both your body and soul are both destroyed eternally (note: not eternally being destroyed).

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
The Bible has only a margin of error that is not of the Lord, usually from the age before Jesus when the authors were not baptised in the Holy Spirit but were prophet of the Lord where the Holy Spirit would come and go from the believers ... for example the judgements of Moses were not of the Lord, see the Lord would tell Moses an injustice that the Lord would need fixed, then Moses would tell the people the Injustice and put a judgement on the problem and the people doing that Moses would say would be put to death.... Which the Lord never told Moses to put people to death......other errors which are in the New Testament where in Acts 5 Ananias and Sapphira who sold some of their possessions and gave to the church but kept part back were comdemned and murdered by the Apostles and many people today say that they were killed by Holy Spirit, but the Word of God never says that Holy Spirit killed them.......other errors today in 2 Corinthians 12:1-4...are that Apostle Paul said he new a man 14 years ago that had a vision of Heaven, and many people today say Paul had a vision which the Word of God never said that Paul had a vision of Heaven but it was a vision that another man of God had .......

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Wait Ilene, did you change from a non UR to a universalist when I was not looking?
Yep, gotta keep up around here Insane!!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yep, gotta keep up around here Insane!!
Oh so sad!!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
It is speaking of different deaths, but death none the less (now that's truth if I ever heard it)........separation from God, be it 1 hour, 3, 4, 5..... or eternity, you don't want that! The end goal is to reign with HIM FOREVER!!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
NO, not sad at all Almost2L8.........enlightened. The topic of your thread is exactly WHY I changed my mind about it. Mistranslations.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Quote:
NO, not sad at all Almost2L8.........enlightened. The topic of your thread is exactly WHY I changed my mind about it. Mistranslations.
SO let me ask you my friend...all these years that you have RAN your race for the Truth, it all boils down to what MAN interprets over the inspiration that GOD HIMSELF have given them? That's your story?

So God is no longer able to mean what He says and says what He means? I mean even if MAN made mistakes in the translation of the scriptures according to you, Isn't your one on one RELATIONSHIP with Him strong enough to decipher fact (His words) from fiction (mans) if that's what you truly believe? Wanting to understand.....

Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,243 times
Quote:

I happen to be a VERY stubborn individual. When my mind is set on something, well, it is set in cement. It took my YEARS, to finally admit that the Bible is not infallible. I was sooo scared that if I found something wrong with it, then maybe there was absolutely NO foundation for anything I believed. TERRIFYING!

But, what got me thinking was, if I believe in truth and love, then what is there to fear?

So, I started studying. And, the more I studied, the more I realized that all those wonderful guys out there that gave us our translations were just HUMAN! And, sometimes, not very nice ones.

I have said in the past that the Bible we have is in pretty good shape. The message is still there. But, we DO NOT have the originals, and the Latin and English tore up the meaning of the original scriptures pretty bad in some places. Many pastors know this, but they do NOT tell the masses at the bottom. I sometimes wonder why.......

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
SO let me ask you my friend...all these years that you have RAN your race for the Truth, it all boils down to what MAN interprets over the inspiration that GOD HIMSELF have given them? That's your story?

So God is no longer able to mean what He says and says what He means? I mean even if MAN made mistakes in the translation of the scriptures according to you, Isn't your one on one RELATIONSHIP with Him strong enough to decipher fact (His words) from fiction (mans) if that's what you truly believe? Wanting to understand.....
The lying pen of the scribes.

It has happened before and it has happened again.

I'm not saying, at least not for now, that there was an intentional mishandling of the scriptures, but I do think that the languages (Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic) were hard to translate into the Latin and English and it brought a lot of confusion. Add to that the Catholic church and it's extremely PAGAN ways. Can we say DARK AGES? They brought a lot of that pagan thought into the Bible that we have now.

They changed TIMES and LAWS if you want to look at it that way.

Something is wrong. That is one thing that I do know.

And my one-on-one with God is a lot of what brought me to question what was going on.

Last edited by herefornow; 05-12-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 06:25 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
There is something I have been thinking about lately!! It involves the bible and mistranslation. The problem I have is that many say that this "word" was mistranslated, or that "word" was mistranslated. Of course whatever was mistranslated was the words that disagree or disprove their own beliefs. While everything that says what they want it to say is the "DIVINE" word of God!! I am sorry people but it you cannot have it both ways. The book was either completely mistranslated or completely divine. Of course, I do not mean every word being mistranslated when I say completely. But one must remember that when one word is translated wrong, then preceding, and following words and verses also must be wrong or the story would not make sense!! If someone could, please indulge me!! For I totally do not understand this concept of only certain words being mistranslated and the rest being divine. Again, God wrote His book either you believe that or not!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
The original manuscripts could have been 100% God's word, but that's little consolation now, since we don't have a single solitary one of the originals any more. Yes, we have some very old copies, and most of them are pretty similar to each other, but as long as the hand of man is involved, either in the transcription process or the translation process, there is the possibility of error. I personally don't see that as a very good reason to throw out what's probably 99.99% correct, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity