U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,685,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when are getting up again".

If you want your children to follow God, you must make God a part of your everyday life, you must teach your children diligently to see God in all aspect of life, not just those that are church related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Amen... ILNC !!!

Prov. 20:11
Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right.

..........and the Lord tells us too,
Prov. 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Also.....
Psalm 78:5-6
5. He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their
children,
6. so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.

Prov. 14:26
He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.
Amen! What a blessing is it to teach the little ones about Him! Truly a blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,711,233 times
Quote:
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when are getting up again".

If you want your children to follow God, you must make God a part of your everyday life, you must teach your children diligently to see God in all aspect of life, not just those that are church related.
You (and others) are proving my point there ILNC. If god WANTS children to follow him, why not teach them the SAME message personally? In this world there are billions of children and half of them have different concepts of god and/or interpretations of what god wants from them as INSTRUCTED by their parents.

I mean, it is good (according to the Bible) he wants parents to be in the mix, but what about the parent in Indonesia who teaches his or her kid about Allah?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,682,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Someone asked a question on another site asking, "how to teach children about god." That struck me as odd, to tell you the truth. It sounds so noble and so right, but why does the [supposed] great god of the universe need wishy-washy, finite, frail and fragile mere mortals to impart [supposed] eternal knowledge to their offspring? I mean, I realize it gives the parents something to do (which they may deem the right thing to do), but would said parents not only share their particular version of Christianity to their children?

In addition, if it is left up to parents to teach children about god (belief), doesn't this suggest that children are born without "knowledge" about god and it has to be taught to them by mortals? What if the mortal is wrong? Should not god reveal/teach the child about his existence on his own time and should not the child be left to experience/discover god for themselves?

1C 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

If God is to reveal himself a certain way, that has nothing to do with whether he exists or whether he is powerful or not.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,513,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You (and others) are proving my point there ILNC. If god WANTS children to follow him, why not teach them the SAME message personally? In this world there are billions of children and half of them have different concepts of god and/or interpretations of what god wants from them as INSTRUCTED by their parents.

I mean, it is good (according to the Bible) he wants parents to be in the mix, but what about the parent in Indonesia who teaches his or her kid about Allah?
That is the parent who is in Indonesia's problem and child. That is not your child, so it isn't any of your business. Your concern lies with your family and by the main point of this thread, YOUR child. You are taught everything when you are a child. You are taught to read, to write, to speak, what's right and what is wrong, etc. This is common sense. Don't you have kids Insane? Why are you asking this ridiculously obvious question?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That is the parent who is in Indonesia's problem and child. That is not your child, so it isn't any of your business. Your concern lies with your family and by the main point of this thread, YOUR child. You are taught everything when you are a child. You are taught to read, to write, to speak, what's right and what is wrong, etc. This is common sense. Don't you have kids Insane? Why are you asking this ridiculously obvious question?
He is asking because he is not a Christian and wants to stir things up.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM

I see that a couple of people here are completely missing the point.

We are taught to read and write because they are necessary, at least in today's world, to FUNCTION properly in extremely important aspects of life. One does not need to be TAUGHT about god per se and can still function and function at high levels too. We are born with certain instincts that require no teaching, supposedly something we were created with by god. No child is born with the notion that slaps him up the head that he needs Jesus in his life. He nor she does not slowly grow into a desire to read the bible on his own. If parents want to TEACH their children their religion, that is fine, whatever flavor it might be, however, my question surrounds the idea that if god is ALL-powerful, why leave it up to frail, fragile, sometimes clueless, finite, limited human beings to do so. Why not do it himself and make it easy?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
He is asking because he is not a Christian and wants to stir things up.
Thanks for reading my mind, me lady.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,202,746 times
IMO God does not "require" anything from me..

Christ is not here in the flesh to teach us about Gods love and mercy but he did not leave us alone to teach our children about God..He sent us the Holy spirit to help us with the words, actions deeds and love to teach our children..

I never relied man or his religion to influence me or tell me what to teach my children..
God Blessed me with them and I took the responsibility that he entrusted me with very seriously..God was not forced on my children..He was gently and lovingly presented to them..

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

3,434 posts, read 8,796,274 times
Why are Christians required to "teach" their children about God? Why wouldnt we want to teach them about God? I want my children to be able to turn to God when they have problems. He (God) has always always always been there for me and I want my children to have an even closer relationship with him. Actions really do speak louder than words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or