U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2010, 01:50 PM
 
7,788 posts, read 10,443,690 times
Reputation: 3392

Advertisements

June is asking for an explanation (or definition) as regards what constitutes, is, a "child of God' within the Christian mindset, and belief system.

June is asking as she found herself in a discussion with someone the other night, and the term 'child of God' came up. Despite the fact that June feels she has a pretty darn good understanding of the NT (even for a nonbeliever!) nonetheless, despite June's feeling that she was able to prove within the dialogue that her understanding of what it meant was supported/based on what she has read in the NT, her understanding was essentially challenged.

~So June, being June, would appreciate knowing whether her understanding of what is meant by a "child of God" is actually correct, or whether it is, in fact, incorrect. --Because June's the first to want to get the correct understanding and meaning of things; likewise, if/when June is wrong, she would rather know it, than not.

To those who respond, thanks in advance!


Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,902 posts, read 8,472,480 times
Reputation: 11575
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June is asking for an explanation (or definition) as regards what constitutes, is, a "child of God' within the Christian mindset, and belief system.

June is asking as she found herself in a discussion with someone the other night, and the term 'child of God' came up. Despite the fact that June feels she has a pretty darn good understanding of the NT (even for a nonbeliever!) nonetheless, despite June's feeling that she was able to prove within the dialogue that her understanding of what it meant was supported/based on what she has read in the NT, her understanding was essentially challenged.

~So June, being June, would appreciate knowing whether her understanding of what is meant by a "child of God" is actually correct, or whether it is, in fact, incorrect. --Because June's the first to want to get the correct understanding and meaning of things; likewise, if/when June is wrong, she would rather know it, than not.

To those who respond, thanks in advance!


Take gentle care.
Here is one example from the Bible; John 1:12

Yet to all who received him (Christ), to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—

Another: Romans 8:16

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

****************
These and other scriptures say that when we have a relationship with God thru Christ, God becomes our heavenly father and we become His Children

edit: I just checked 1John 4 & 5. It has a bunch of stuff on being God's Child

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-12-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,402,926 times
Reputation: 682
Hi June,

Some people use this term generically to mean any human being, for we are all children of God.

However scripture has a more specific meaning: people who believe in God and Christ. For example Abraham's descendants are referred to the children of God. To add to the confusion, "Abraham's descendants" is to be understood spiritually. It is not talking about Abraham's physical descendants. Galatians 3 and Romans 9 tells us that Abraham's descendants are really anyone who believes in God and Christ, and these are God's children.

Now to further add to the confusion, some people think that the number of God's children is "fixed", that is, if you are not one of God's children now, you never can be and were never meant to be. But scripture tells us we were all children of wrath, yet when we come to believe we become a child of God. Thus people can be converted to children of God.

So to be a child of God all that has to happen is for God to convert you. As Mr5150 pointed out, 1 John 1-5 is a good reference to. If you do what is right you are a child of God. If you hate your brother, you are not a child of God. etc.

Final thought, this verse tells us that all creation will be liberated into the glorious freedom of the children of God:

Romans 8:21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

That should bring hope (if you believe in that sort of thing!) Take care June...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
Reputation: 4461
The life is in the Blood, we like to say - and Who's blood was shed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
 
7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
Reputation: 1371
Right from the beginning of Creation The Lord planned to have a family , the animals were not responsive enough and the devil was to rebellous to be his Children so he chose Adam and Eve to be the first Children of God. but Adam sinned and was rejected...So the Lord God brought Jesus to be the Son of Man for to be the first of the Children for the Lord God to Fill Heaven with HIS family....... Jesus Won the Honor to be the first Child of God and now who believes in Jesus and follows HIS lead and Commands and converts to Jesus and is Born again or Spiritual renewal as Roman Catholics call the conversion....and is Baptized in Water for repentance and is baptized in HIS Holy Spirit will be a Child of God and Jesus promised to rise them up and live forever on their last day.... and live forever as a Child of God ..... Dont miss out of the blessing of more than a life time..... Heaven is many time better than this temporal life on the earth......Christianity is the only religion on the earth that claims to have Children of God, and this claim blasphemes all other religions, which shows the work of the devil that deceives man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June is asking for an explanation (or definition) as regards what constitutes, is, a "child of God' within the Christian mindset, and belief system.

June is asking as she found herself in a discussion with someone the other night, and the term 'child of God' came up. Despite the fact that June feels she has a pretty darn good understanding of the NT (even for a nonbeliever!) nonetheless, despite June's feeling that she was able to prove within the dialogue that her understanding of what it meant was supported/based on what she has read in the NT, her understanding was essentially challenged.

~So June, being June, would appreciate knowing whether her understanding of what is meant by a "child of God" is actually correct, or whether it is, in fact, incorrect. --Because June's the first to want to get the correct understanding and meaning of things; likewise, if/when June is wrong, she would rather know it, than not.

To those who respond, thanks in advance!


Take gentle care.
Hey, June. Well, my answer might be different from some of the others you read, but here it is: I believe (and my Church teaches) that every human being who has ever been born is a son or daughter of God. The Bible says that He is the "father of spirits," (which we were prior to being born to our mortal parents) and that we are "his offspring." We are not merely His creations but His children. He is not just "God" to us, but our "Father in Heaven." Since atheists are not excluded from His family, take care, dear sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,402,926 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hey, June. Well, my answer might be different from some of the others you read, but here it is: I believe (and my Church teaches) that every human being who has ever been born is a son or daughter of God. The Bible says that He is the "father of spirits," (which we were prior to being born to our mortal parents) and that we are "his offspring." We are not merely His creations but His children. He is not just "God" to us, but our "Father in Heaven." Since atheists are not excluded from His family, take care, dear sister.
Hi Katz, I agree with what you said here too. God is referred to as Father of all, there is a reason He's called "Father"!

I think there is two senses in scripture of the phrase "children of God"... one like you say above here, and then like in 1 John 1-5 in a "spiritual sense" - the children are those who believe God and follow His commandments of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:49 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,930,857 times
Reputation: 179
how about- every-living-entity,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi Katz, I agree with what you said here too. God is referred to as Father of all, there is a reason He's called "Father"!

I think there is two senses in scripture of the phrase "children of God"... one like you say above here, and then like in 1 John 1-5 in a "spiritual sense" - the children are those who believe God and follow His commandments of love.
I agree with this second meaning as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
how about- every-living-entity,
Well, He is the creator of everything, but I don't believe that non-human creations are His children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top