U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,379,434 times

Advertisements

This thread is about definitions of various words in the Bible and how they were used throughout scripture.

I'll start with hell.

Hell
  1. Sheol (Hebrew)/Grave
  2. Hades (Greek Mythology)
  3. Tartarus
  4. Gehenna
I wouldn't mind if we could talk about how the definitions have changed throughout the centuries, either, and how that impacted various versions of the Bible.

4 I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
I am like a man without strength.

5 I am set apart with the dead,
like the slain who lie in the grave,
whom you remember no more,
who are cut off from your care.

6 You have put me in the lowest pit,
in the darkest depths.

David

Paragraphs below from All about Sheol and hell

Deuteronomy 32:22 For a fire has been kindled by my wrath, one that burns to the lowest hell. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains.

The KJV translates "tachtiy Sheol" here as "the lowest hell". Do Evangelicals really believe that there are different "levels" in their "hell"? Catholics might use this translation to support their doctrine of different levels of suffering in their Purgatory, but Evangelicals using the KJV are left pondering how many "hells" they have; and whether in "the lowest hell" the damned will find less torment than in the highest hell?

Last edited by herefornow; 05-13-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Does anybody have anything they can add to this? This would help me out as I have just started studying how ONE WORD can carry different definitions and have a COMPLETELY different meaning in their usage in the Bible.

I guess English is a strange language in that it uses the same word to mean many different things.

Like "mean," for instance: Why is that person so mean? What do you mean? That kind of stuff.

I guess the Greek is much more precise and we do not have so much confusion in that language.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
For me, the big one is "word". There is One who is called the Word, and then there's the book that may or may not be quickened for an individual when they read something.

And violence ensues.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
For me, the big one is "word". There is One who is called the Word, and then there's the book that may or may not be quickened for an individual when they read something.

And violence ensues.

Thanks, little elmer.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
For purgatory is NOT in hell, it is a place where saved people go for Orientation to Heaven, for saved people go to find their new purpose in Heaven and a place to heal their spirits who were ill from the lack of fruit in the spirit from their temporal lives before....Evangelicals reject it today because people will not turn to Jesus and be saved because of excuses for purgatory option........Hell is a place for the devil and his fallen angels and if people give their lives to the devil and his fallen angels authority then that is the place where they go at their passing.....Heaven is a place where the Lord God created that is free of hell, and many, many time better then the earth,,,, it is a place like the earth, and it is spirit and it is a spirit that has substance like the earth. Heaven is a place that has animals, and hills and flowers and mountains and cities and building and purposes that are of the Lord God ......when you go there you will be given someting to do, and Jesus said my burdens are light.....The Angels of the Lord God are in the tens of mulititude of mutititudes and they have duties of operation for the Lord God

Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 AM

58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Does anybody have anything they can add to this? This would help me out as I have just started studying how ONE WORD can carry different definitions and have a COMPLETELY different meaning in their usage in the Bible.
They are different places except sheol and hades which are the same. There has been many threads about this already so whatever is said here is repetition. It has been proven that hell is real.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are different places except sheol and hades which are the same. There has been many threads about this already so whatever is said here is repetition. It has been proven that hell is real.

Did you read what this thread was supposed to be about? You can add any word you want. It doesn't have to be "hell."

And, Sheol and Hades are absolutely not the same thing, I can PROMISE you that. Anybody who TRULY studies where the Greek "Hades" came from and where the Hebrew "Sheol" came from should know this.

The differences between the PAGAN Greek gods and the Hebrew God are enormous!

All about Sheol and hell

Last edited by herefornow; 05-16-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 01:19 PM

257 posts, read 366,831 times
I'd like to share what is the greatest problem in Christendom today. That problem is that no one completely and totally understands the elementary principals of Christ. At least I've not found any evidence which proves that scholars or otherwise, fully and deeply know the elemental mysteries of the principals of Jesus Christ. Those principals are given in Hebrews. One of those principals is that of eternal judgement.

The doctrine of eternal judgement contains the fact of the eternal lake of fire and the eternal presence in the lake of fire, of the lost and condenmed humans plus that of the devil and the devils'angels.

This eternal state of the lost is so horrible, that even the thought of it, has tormented the minds of many people over the centuries. I can recall that in my younger Christian experience, how preplexed I would feel to hear a sermon emphasizing the eternal judgement. To this day, I don't want to stay in a Church group, whos' favorite sermon seems to be, "hell is hot!"

That being said, however, I'd never want to be with a group that denies the truth about the fact that there is a state of eternal torment for the lost. Also, there is the prison of hell, which does have flames and where the lost are held until the day of judgement. There is a large volume of scriptural proof about hell and the lake of fire.

But there is something that has at least partially crippled many people and has caused some to stumble. The problem is the misunderstanding of the doctrines of works and faith. I fully agree that human works can never save anyone. However, we are saved by works, but not human works. Jesus said, "My Father is always working." We are literaly saved by the working of God! God gives faith. That is a result of His work. God grants repentance to those He is saving. That is His work. God grants the gift of water baptism to those He is saving. That is His work. God grants baptism in the Holy Spirit to those He is saving. Our salvation from start to completion, is the working of God to give us salvation. So when someone says, "We are not saved by works", please make the proper distinctions, so has to give God the glory for His working of salvation for His called out people.

When we understand that salvation is totally in the hands of God, and that all we can do (by His grace) is agree with and obey Him, and when we see that the gifts of God are freely offered for anyone willing, and that His salvation gifts fully protect us from eternal judgement, then we will not live in the dread and fear of hell and the lake of fire. For then the second death has no power over us!

Please everyone pray and ask God to reveal the foundational principals of Christ to you and to all who are willing to follow Jesus.

If anyone is intrested I could, God willing, start a thread concerning the foundation principals of Christ? I might not have a lot of time to spend there next week, however. Monday will begin a very busy work schedule for me. I only would like to help folks. Isn't that why Christ came? Yes, He came to save sinners, among which I have had my own terrible lot. But Jesus reached out His Almighty hand and, in effect, has stated, "Come with me boy, you're going to glory! Thank you Most High Lord Jesus!!!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 PM

58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
And, Sheol and Hades are absolutely not the same thing, I can PROMISE you that. Anybody who TRULY studies where the Greek "Hades" came from and where the Hebrew "Sheol" came from should know this.
In the Bible they refer to the same place. We are talking about the Bible, are we not?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In the Bible they refer to the same place. We are talking about the Bible, are we not?

Yep, we are! (And, by the way, just because Jehovah Witnesses are off in much, this part they understood. The reason why we have these "cults" out there is because SOMEBODY got frustrated and saw and understood something that TRADITION would NOT ADMIT was wrong, and, figuring that if they were right about that, decided to go their own way, because maybe tradition was wrong about EVERYTHING......I do not go so far as to throw out ALL that tradition believes, but I will use my God-given brain and start studying for myself!)

Hades: Greek underworld

Hel: Goddess of the Germanic Underworld.

Sheol: Grave

If you notice, throughout the ENTIRE Old Testament, which is the ONLY SCRIPTURE that was around when Jesus was talking to "New Testament" folks obviously, the word used was the HEBREW word, Sheol.

This was translated "Hell" in many places when the Catholic church got hold of things: When they did, "Hell," which in the Old English just means "covering," they started attaching the PAGAN UNDERWORLD meaning to it, to put the peasants into stark-raving-mad, fear-like, blind-faith obedience to the ONE TRUE CHURCH. Kind of like what the Muslims do, I guess.

(as you can tell by the "ONE TRUE CHURCH'S" priest's and popes behavior over the centuries, the priests and popes don't believe in the Traditional Greek Underworld any more than I do.")

HELL NEVER HAD ANY OTHER MEANING IN THE ENGLISH BESIDES "COVERING!"

If ANYBODY would read my link that I attached above, THE TRUE MEANING OF THE WORD SHEOL WOULD BECOME CLEAR!

IT MATTERS HOW THE HEBREWS UNDERSTOOD THE AFTERLIFE!

And, I would NOT ask a Jew today what the Rabbi thinks of the afterlife. They were ALREADY mixed up by the time Jesus came. They had ALREADY brought a lot of pagan thought into their belief system, which is why Jesus was talking to them the way He was! He used their stupidity about His character against them! God will NOT be mocked!

If anybody wants to study these things: STUDY THE OLD TESTAMENT USE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE AFTERLIFE!!! Again, these would have been the scriptures that the folks in "New Testament" times were studying when Jesus showed up!

This link about Sheol/Hell has nothing to do with the Restoration of All Things (UR), but here it is again: All about Sheol and hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity