U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,203,323 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your edifying words. Ive been struggling allot lately with many different things.

I also thank God for Christ our lord who is saving me from this body of death.

Amen ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You do know that Paul was referring to his old man when he was under the law in Romans 7, right? No man is justified by the law. Romans 8 gives us the victory through grace.
I understand that some of you believe yourself to be righteous ... But i do not. I know that i am not, as i struggle daily and sometimes allot more than on other days. So that is what Romans 7 means to me, and that is why it is the story of my life ...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,559,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I understand that some of you believe yourself to be righteous ... But i do not. I know that i am not, as i struggle daily and sometimes allot more than on other days. So that is what Romans 7 means to me, and that is why it is the story of my life ...
Amen Ironmaw - realize that God is working out in us the realization that we don't have any reason to depend on our understanding, our strength, our life - but to depend on the fact that He is risen, and is building a habitat in you. But it's a process of putting the old man to death experientially.

It doesn't matter how we feel, how good/bad things are going, etc. Abiding in Him is turning away from the natural realm and simply accepting that He is all we need, day or night, up or down. Through this exercise of casting down the thoughts that war against the knowledge of Christ, He is being revealed more and more in you.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,383,010 times
Quote:
(YLT)
9And I was alive apart from law once, and the command having come, the sin revived, and I died; 10and the command that [is] for life, this was found by me for death;
11for the sin, having received an opportunity, through the command, did deceive me, and through it did slay [me];

I understand this as passing from the innocence of childhood into the knowledge of right and wrong when we mature, and through the knowledge of right and wrong(good and evil/the law) we die ... Its the common experience we all share with Adam and Eve ...

Sorry about my response last night i was really tired and i didn't read your question right ...
No problem, Ironmaw, and thanks for your explanation. I used to think I understood what the Bible was about, but I am having to relearn some things. After my childhood, I didn't want to study it anymore, and I forgot a lot, so I am missing pieces. I learn fairly quickly, and studying UR has helped immensely.

I appreciate your help. Things are starting to make sense, now!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM

5,422 posts, read 4,665,658 times
Quote:
Life is a struggle indeed. Many temptations can be thrown our way. But, we have victory through Jesus if we are truly walking with Him; and, we are only righteous because Jesus has made us so; the power is in His blood to set us free.

Ephesians 4:24 - And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

With respect to Romans 7, Paul was describing his conflict when he was under the law.

Rom. 7
[4] Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
[5] For when we were [past tense] in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

A close study of Romans 7 will help us understand the difference between the law and grace. Until we understand Paul's meaning of this chapter, we will always feel like we are still slaves to sin. However, that would contradict many other things that Paul wrote about being made free from sin. But make no mistake about it, Paul does not contradict himself. He clearly taught that new creatures in Christ live free from sin in righteousness and true holiness.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Life is a struggle indeed. Many temptations can be thrown our way. But, we have victory through Jesus if we are truly walking with Him; and, we are only righteous because Jesus has made us so; the power is in His blood to set us free.

Ephesians 4:24 - And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

With respect to Romans 7, Paul was describing his conflict when he was under the law.

Rom. 7
[4] Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
[5] For when we were [past tense] in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

A close study of Romans 7 will help us understand the difference between the law and grace. Until we understand Paul's meaning of this chapter, we will always feel like we are still slaves to sin. However, that would contradict many other things that Paul wrote about being made free from sin. But make no mistake about it, Paul does not contradict himself. He clearly taught that new creatures in Christ live free from sin in righteousness and true holiness.
I am weak and i fail ... I am a sinner, and i do what i do not want to do, and what i want to do often i do not do ... I am no longer in the flesh, i am in Christ, but i still have flesh and in the members of my flesh i serve sin, though in my mind i serve God.

This is what my OP is saying ... This is why i praise God for his mercy and grace in Christ.

Amen ...

Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM

5,422 posts, read 4,665,658 times
Quote:
I am weak and i fail ... I am a sinner, and i do what i do not want to do, and what i want to do often i do not do ... In my body i serve sin, though in my mind i serve God.
If that is the case, then you have not been set free yet. You're still in bondage. Look to Jesus and His redeeming blood. Jesus came to set the captives free. It's the year of jubilee.

Luke 4
[17] And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
[18] The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
[19] To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
[20] And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
[21] And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Seek the meaning of this and Romans 7 will take on a new life for you.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
If that is the case, then you have not been set free yet. You're still in bondage. Look to Jesus and His redeeming blood. Jesus came to set the captives free. It's the year of jubilee.

Luke 4
[17] And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
[18] The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
[20] And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
[21] And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

So your saying i am not saved though i confess with my mouth the lord Jesus Christ?

Thank you for your support ...

Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,559,868 times
Quote:

Luke 4

You can assume the same has been done for you, but if that was true you would be out there laying hands on the dead and they would be recovering.

Instead, you're on a web site depressing other Christians who are in the process of exchanging their life for Christ. Make no mistake, the complete work of salvation is first to put our faith and hope in the grave, and learning by deep experiences to lean hard on Him who's life is transplanted to us.

Paul told us that there is no going up without first going down (Eph 4:9).

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,454,539 times
Quote:
Ironmaw1776, those words..."My explanation is that I am guilty ... and I am sorry ..." powerful! I understand. Came straight from the gut didn't it? I know and I can comprehend, if these are the last words that you will ever type on here, they speak VOLUMES my friend. See, I too had a part in hurting Him......we are forgiven my friend, we are forgiven. Bless you...on your journey. We're almost there, take care.

Your sister in Christ Jesus, Betsey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity