U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,647,727 times
Reputation: 575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
True. - Only that athiests don't exterminate whole nations for thinking differently..

Blessings,
brian
And yet that same God will have all those that were exterminated to be His Children living in Bliss forevermore in due time. So why be arrogant as like ant pointing up at the man and saying I can't believe in you for you step upon the other ants as you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,129,674 times
Reputation: 866
Irene,
There ARE other countries in the world besides the US. English was not born in the US! In "pure" English, the "e" is correct, and the american spelling isn't; just like pizza wasn't invented in the US, it was invented in Naples, Italy. It wasn't created by PizzaHut.
But this is an interesting discussion, and it does pertain to religion as well. We all tend to see things as correct from our POV.. It doesn't mean we're right, however...


trettep,
I think Vic235 was trying to say that religions can often make people blind to reality. I agree with him.
Of course those exterminated will be taken (or perhaps already have been taken) into the loving arms of God. That doesn't justify the blind acts of violence committed at the hands of religion..

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,647,727 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
trettep,
I think Vic235 was trying to say that religions can often make people blind to reality. I agree with him.
Of course those exterminated will be taken (or perhaps already have been taken) into the loving arms of God. That doesn't justify the blind acts of violence committed at the hands of religion..

Blessings,
brian
It isn't the religion - it is the MAN behind the religion that is doing the blinding. It is interesting that Christ is the LIGHT and comes to unblind those that are blind. It is still religion but it is different MAN behind the religion.

Regarding the violence done in the name of religion, if God mandates what you would call a violent act then its end will result in Love for Love is God's Business - we are incapable of Love of ourselves. We are haters of love by our nature. So it would be silly of me to condemn the violence of another when I know that the fruit of my own nature is that very thing. So to critique it from the "nature of man" perspective would be rather hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,777,276 times
Reputation: 58199
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Irene,
There ARE other countries in the world besides the US. English was not born in the US! In "pure" English, the "e" is correct, and the american spelling isn't; just like pizza wasn't invented in the US, it was invented in Naples, Italy. It wasn't created by PizzaHut.
But this is an interesting discussion, and it does pertain to religion as well. We all tend to see things as correct from our POV.. It doesn't mean we're right, however...
Yeah, I know it can be used both ways.........but if you do a spell check or a search on-line you will see which one is the preferred, correct spelling. And I know where English came from....the same place I did. I never said the US was the only country in the world. This was a discussion between Finn and myself so let's leave it at that, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,048,179 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
i know you have to accept jesus as your lord and savior to make it into heaven but is it really this way?

2 examples

1. rapist/murder gets sent to prison but before he is executed he truly confesses all his sins he is sent to heaven?

2. (hypothetical situation) so some guy comes up with the cure for cancer is charitable all his life never harmed a soul and loved everyone he knew with all of his being, but he is atheist...hes burns in hell?

i know its supposed to be yes and yes to both questions but am i a bad person for having a hard time accepting that you could have done the worst thing ever been the worst person ever but right as your about to die completely ask for forgiveness and give yourself to god your all good but if you dont believe no matter how great you were in life hell for you?
First off, you accept Jesus as your Lord and saviour if you love your fellow man. Love was all Jesus preached, so accepting him means that you love your fellow man. God is in every man, so if you love man,you love God.

When a person dies, the real being, departs the housing (body) into the spirit realm. While in the spirit realm, he knows no boundaries since he is a spirit, but only subject to God. Spirits are in different spiritual realms, which you might call heaven. This is the arrangement, but his spiritual realm depends on the assignment that his spirit is scheduled to undertake. At some time, God may require the spirit back to earth to atone for his sins or for a different assignment, then he enters a womn's womb and is born as a baby.

If a human being did not know God in an incarnation but has been a very good person, his next incarnation he may be a priest etc. If a guy was a murderer in his previous advent and he died peacefully, his next advent will see him die a violent death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,777,276 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
First off, you accept Jesus as your Lord and saviour if you love your fellow man. Love was all Jesus preached, so accepting him means that you love your fellow man. God is in every man, so if you love man,you love God.

When a person dies, the real being, departs the housing (body) into the spirit realm. While in the spirit realm, he knows no boundaries since he is a spirit, but only subject to God. Spirits are in different spiritual realms, which you might call heaven. This is the arrangement, but his spiritual realm depends on the assignment that his spirit is scheduled to undertake. At some time, God may require the spirit back to earth to atone for his sins or for a different assignment, then he enters a womn's womb and is born as a baby.

If a human being did not know God in an incarnation but has been a very good person, his next incarnation he may be a priest etc. If a guy was a murderer in his previous advent and he died peacefully, his next advent will see him die a violent death.
Eh??? And what scriptures from the Bible support this theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,853,779 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mar 3:29 but whoever may speak evil in regard to the Holy Spirit hath not forgiveness--to the age, but is in danger of age-during judgment;' (Young's Literal)

Mar 3:29 yet whoever should be blaspheming against the holy spirit is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian penalty for the sin-" (Concordant Literal New Testament).

Twin, I wonder why your NIV and KJV above left out a very important phrase: "never be forgiven for the eon"? Do you think it is because it does not fit in with their theology? In the Greek "eis ton aion" is in Mark 3:29.

Also, pardon is the privelidge of a king or governor. The person who commits the blasphemy of the holy spirit will not be receiving a pardon for that crime.

In our judicial system if a person commits a crime he can be pardoned. Presidents of the U.S.A. almost always pardon a whole slew of people at the end of their tenure. And if they are not pardoned? then what? They most do the full time of their crime. And what is that time? Looky here:

Mat 12:32 And whosoever may be saying a word against the Son of Mankind, it will be pardoned him, yet whoever may be saying aught against the holy spirit, it shall not be pardoned him, neither in this eon nor in that which is impending."

So the length of time is given that they will not be pardoned: this eon and the eon which is impending. The impending eon is the 1000 year reign of Christ. So they will not be pardoned for that whole eon as well.

What happens to people who are not pardoned? They eventually get out of prison once their sentence has been fulfilled.
Eusebius,

Another incorrect view of Biblical teaching is a literal "1000 year reign of Christ" aka Millennialism. The historical teaching in Christianity has been that Jesus taught Amillennialism. (but that is for a different OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
What happens to people who are not pardoned? They eventually get out of prison once their sentence has been fulfilled.
Wrong answer.... again ....They don't get out. "Never means never"

Moderator cut: Deleted as off topic/rude

Last edited by june 7th; 05-15-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,129,674 times
Reputation: 866
[quote=Ilene Wright;14187137]
Quote:

Yeah, I know it can be used both ways.........but if you do a spell check or a search on-line you will see which one is the preferred, correct spelling. And I know where English came from....the same place I did. I never said the US was the only country in the world. This was a discussion between Finn and myself so let's leave it at that, ok?
No problem, no offense I hope- I only chimed in because english is my mother tongue too!

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,129,674 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It isn't the religion - it is the MAN behind the religion that is doing the blinding. It is interesting that Christ is the LIGHT and comes to unblind those that are blind. It is still religion but it is different MAN behind the religion.

Regarding the violence done in the name of religion, if God mandates what you would call a violent act then its end will result in Love for Love is God's Business - we are incapable of Love of ourselves. We are haters of love by our nature. So it would be silly of me to condemn the violence of another when I know that the fruit of my own nature is that very thing. So to critique it from the "nature of man" perspective would be rather hypocritical.
Yes, man does the blinding, THROUGH religion.
Christ is the Light. And what happens if you stare at a light too long??

As for the rest, I agree with you. I believe we are not able to love as we should without receiving of the Love from above.
The problem is the violence I referred to is that it was coming exactly from those who were supposed to be "spiritual" and "Christian." And we don't need to look far back into the past to see it. It's happening in Iraq at this moment, with the american flag in one hand, a bible in another hand--- all while driving tanks and shooting from helicopters! NOT Good News, NOT Christ-like. IMO.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,129,674 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Eusebius,

Another incorrect view of Biblical teaching is a literal "1000 year reign of Christ" aka Millennialism. The historical teaching in Christianity has been that Jesus taught Amillennialism. (but that is for a different OP)



Wrong answer.... again ....They don't get out. "Never means never"

Moderator cut: Deleted as off topic/rude
Never means never? What about forgiving 7 times 7? What about loving your enemies? What about "blessed are the merciful??" Just an exercise in morality?

Just curious--

Blessings,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top