U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM

58,534 posts, read 31,926,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
English English? That's rich. If you are 'speaking' English then you need to write it properly. There is no first "e" in judgment! I don't care where you live or where you were raised, that is the proper way to spell it.
Judgement: The term judgment (AE) or judgement (BE) generally refers to the considered evaluation of evidence in the formation of making a decision

Quote:
Standing for judgment is not kneeling.....in that verse the implication is that ALL will bow at the same time and proclaim Jesus as Lord. It says nothing about this happening at judgment...
Ilene, the verse is about judgement. Study the verse, look up the studies and discussions about this verse, and you will find the truth. When you stand trial, it does not mean you physically stand throughout the process. Did OJ stand for six months during his trial? No, he sat. ALL MEN will stand trial during the judgement day, and they will do it with their heads bowed and knees bent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:51 PM

910 posts, read 1,044,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Eh??? And what scriptures from the Bible support this theory?
Q. Why did John the Baptist die the way he did?

A. That was his destiny

Q. Why was that his destiny?

A. In his previous life as Elijah he killed more than 300men, worshippers of Baal. But God says that those who kill by the sword will die by the sword. Elijah transmuted directly to heaven and was not killed, but when he came back for a new assignment, he was brutally murdered.

Hope the conversation makes sense?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,756,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Q. Why did John the Baptist die the way he did?

A. That was his destiny

Q. Why was that his destiny?

A. In his previous life as Elijah he killed more than 300men, worshippers of Baal. But God says that those who kill by the sword will die by the sword. Elijah transmuted directly to heaven and was not killed, but when he came back for a new assignment, he was brutally murdered.

Hope the conversation makes sense?
No, not really. Who said that John the Baptist was Elijah in a previous life? That's not biblical, and neither is reincarnation.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,574,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
i know you have to accept jesus as your lord and savior to make it into heaven but is it really this way?

2 examples

1. rapist/murder gets sent to prison but before he is executed he truly confesses all his sins he is sent to heaven?

2. (hypothetical situation) so some guy comes up with the cure for cancer is charitable all his life never harmed a soul and loved everyone he knew with all of his being, but he is atheist...hes burns in hell?

i know its supposed to be yes and yes to both questions but am i a bad person for having a hard time accepting that you could have done the worst thing ever been the worst person ever but right as your about to die completely ask for forgiveness and give yourself to god your all good but if you dont believe no matter how great you were in life hell for you?
This is the way the churches teach the gospel. They would also tell you that the victim who was raped, if he/she was murdered will spend eternity in hell, but God will save the perpetrator of the crime. It's a ridiculous spin on the gospel, truly. Most people who believe God will save all of us (as the bible teaches) will also judge all of us according to our works. There is no greasy grace. There will be a time of purifying.

That's what I believe.

Heartsong

Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 PM

58,534 posts, read 31,926,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
They would also tell you that the victim who was raped, if he/she was murdered will spend eternity in hell, but God will save the perpetrator of the crime.
You just made that up, didn't you?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,584,916 times
luke 23:42

have i ever heard that?

*off to pick: i think i remember theologians knowing luke to have been a medic.*

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 PM

15,225 posts, read 8,250,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This is the way the churches teach the gospel. They would also tell you that the victim who was raped, if he/she was murdered will spend eternity in hell, but God will save the perpetrator of the crime. It's a ridiculous spin on the gospel, truly. Most people who believe God will save all of us (as the bible teaches) will also judge all of us according to our works. There is no greasy grace. There will be a time of purifying.

That's what I believe.

Heartsong
What a load of crap!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM

3,581 posts, read 456,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What a load of crap!
Heartsong is referring to the scenario of someone who "repents" on their deathbed will spend eternity in heaven - a murderer of a girl who was an unbeliever who he raped and murdered, and that girl will spend eternity being tormented in hell.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 PM

702 posts, read 845,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Jesus himself said there is no such thing as a good person, and that one must be born again into the spirit (John 3:1-7, I Pet. 1:23, ) in order to be saved, and that is a personal chose. There is no other way. Anyone who says otherwise is spreading false teachings.
It is quite wrong to say being a good or evil person has nothing to do with what happens to us. Jesus also said this: "Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." (John 5:28-29, AV) (The word "damnation" here should be "judging.")

The apostle Paul also taught the same thing. [5]"...God; [6] Who will render to every man according to his deeds: [7] To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: [8] But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, [9] Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; [10] But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: [11] For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:5-11, AV) For us to think we're righteous or saved because, " I feel a feeling I feel I felt before," or some man's doctrine of what he calls grace will not prevent our being brought before God for judgement.

Repeatedly in the Bible, even occuring in the last chapter of the Bible is this statement by Jesus: "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." (Revelation 22:12, AV)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I John 5:11-13 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
"He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things [with himself]." (Ephesians 4:10, AV)

Not only does it make a difference to know Him now, this sounds to me like eventually everyone will have the Son.

"For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." (Habakkuk 2:14, AV)

Old 05-15-2010, 11:26 PM

433 posts, read 515,369 times
There are good and evil persons, and there are people with and without faith -- they may not match up perfectly. The original poster was asking about "evil-faithful" and "good-unfaithful" combination.

From a religious perspective, "being faithful" is all that matters. Then how does religion reconcile with the real world moral standards?

People may loose faith on Christianity over time due to the problems as presented here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity