Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Not offended in the least..... We're having a civil discussion, right? I like that part you said in the above: "Everything is coming together right on schedule". Isn't it though?
It used to make me cry day after day, but I see things a little differently, now.

I LOVE civil discussions; one thing that DOES make me smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
It used to make me cry day after day, but I see things a little differently, now.

I LOVE civil discussions; one thing that DOES make me smile.
Well, I want you to keep smiling........!! I know what you mean, between that and crying, I don't know which one I do more of lately. Godspeed.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Quote:
"There's no safe place these days, even a church building, The building is not the "church". So true! Yes, the lunatics...they're everywhere aren't they? Girl, you know I had to rep you for that one!
And it looks like church buildings are even more dangerous now, even without lunatics! Imagine a group of fundies, with guns, a "message from God"...

NOT good!

Blessings!
Brian

Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM

9,687 posts, read 10,006,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
So you're saying it's the church's fault if some lunatic randomly picks it to go into a church service and start a massacre? I'm sure those folks who just recently experienced this very thing would beg to differ. There is no safe place these days, even a church building. The building is not the "church".
I never said the church was at fault, but whole society may be.... Hay Jesus gives Good Gifts......

Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,881,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Everyone should be strapped with a 9

Play Golf.

Not me....I prefer a 454 Casull!

Bud

Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I never said the church was at fault, but whole society may be.... Hay Jesus gives Good Gifts......

Old 05-15-2010, 05:19 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
This is what Jesus says about this matter: Luke 22:36 if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is what Jesus says about this matter: Luke 22:36 if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

From the Geneva Study Bible:

He says all this using an allegory, as if he said, O my friends and fellow soldiers, you have lived until now in relative peace: but now there is at hand a most severe battle to be fought, and you must therefore lay all other things aside and think about dressing yourselves in armour. And what this armour is, is shown by his own example, when he prayed afterward in the garden and reproved Peter for striking with the sword.

OR

Wesley's Notes:

But now - You will be quite in another situation. You will want every thing. He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one - It is plain, this is not to be taken literally. It only means, This will be a time of extreme danger.

From Luke 22:36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

From the Geneva Study Bible:

He says all this using an allegory, as if he said, O my friends and fellow soldiers, you have lived until now in relative peace: but now there is at hand a most severe battle to be fought, and you must therefore lay all other things aside and think about dressing yourselves in armour. And what this armour is, is shown by his own example, when he prayed afterward in the garden and reproved Peter for striking with the sword.

OR

Wesley's Notes:

But now - You will be quite in another situation. You will want every thing. He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one - It is plain, this is not to be taken literally. It only means, This will be a time of extreme danger.

From Luke 22:36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
It's a good bumper sticker Bible verse. The NRA crowd would love it (I am NRA member)

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Quote:
I just don't know....it's bad enough that in light of everything that's going on, I now feel the need to keep several in my home...... (having gone through the proper channels of course: conceal weapon class, time spent at the range, safety classes, etc.)...are churches exempt from being targeted by some lunatic? Hmmmm....not sure what this have to do with God being "violent with others"? Maybe you can clarify?
Hi Betsey,

What I don't get is how many "Christians" cling to this life with clenched fists as if it is the most important thing to them. I believe Christ died in order to deliver us from the FEAR of DEATH which subjects us to bondage. It's the FEAR OF DEATH that SUBJECTS men/women to bondage - the FEAR OF IT.
And the whole world is terrified of death and this world is full of that which it is terrified of! I hate guns. I hate violence too. I can't even picture Jesus picking up a gun or clinging to this world.

Heartsong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity