U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,311,242 times

Advertisements

well i just dont know if parts of the bible are meant to be literal....like turning water to wine and feed a huge crowd with a few fish and loafs of bread...is this meant to be seen as symbolism of some sort or is it meant to have actually happened the way it is written? and if it isnt meant to be literal who chooses what to see as a form of symbolism and something literal in the bible or is it just the way each of us personally interprets it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 AM

7,885 posts, read 6,707,390 times
In 2 Corinthians 3:6.......``Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament not of the letter, but of the spirit for the letter killeth , but the spirit giveth life``... the promices and gifts of the Word of God are not to be taken and taught literal or legally for they are alive and believers can receive them, see Holy Spirit will deliver the promices and gifts to believer who pass by faith, .. the Spirit will respond to the Word of God alot better than the words of man............... Whereas the history in the Word can be taken literal most of the time, but there can be witnesses in the history of the Word that can be come a gifts once again , and we need to be open to that ........ see the letter killeth, because scholars remember the Word and theolise the Word of God and put limit to essence of the Spirit.... scholars say you can`t do this or you can`t do that and Holy Spirit says this or that which are the same but limit the move in the spirit by limiting faith by the legalism.......

Last edited by hljc; 05-15-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,062,892 times
"O, ye, of little faith" ..... ??

Well, if my God said, He split the Red Sea, He DID, if He said, He fed five thousand, He DID, if He said, He turned water into wine, He DID !! And I believe all of it and that it happened the way it is written......
Because my God says, "All things are possible with Him," and I believe HIM !!!

Call me what ever you choose.... But, my God does not lie, He is Mighty, Faithful, Loving, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Lord of Lords, King of kings and in my books He is soooo worthy to be praised.

Blessings....

Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 AM

21,303 posts, read 20,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
well i just dont know if parts of the bible are meant to be literal....like turning water to wine and feed a huge crowd with a few fish and loafs of bread...is this meant to be seen as symbolism of some sort or is it meant to have actually happened the way it is written? and if it isnt meant to be literal who chooses what to see as a form of symbolism and something literal in the bible or is it just the way each of us personally interprets it?
There are obviously parts of the Bible that are symbolic. Revelation is full of symbolism and most people seem to recognize that. The four gospels are supposed to be historical accounts of Jesus' ministry, so most people accept them literally. Pauls epistles are just letters wrote to various groups of Christians. I think the bigger problem comes when trying to understand the Old Testament. The stories are not filled with symbolism, but they may, in my opinion, be allegorical. Take the creation story in Genesis, for instance. Some people believe the world was created in six 24-hour days. Other people think that, since a day to us is said to be equivalent to 1000 years to God, it took 6000 years to create the universe. Others think of six days as meaning six creative periods of varying (and sometimes very long) periods of time. I wish I knew how to tell you what to take literally and what not to. It would solve a lot of problems if people agreed on what those things are.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,774,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I think the things you mentioned are literal because we know Jesus performed miracles. But there are people that think the entire Bible is symbolic and not to be taken literal. I like what Latte' Chic said....if it says God or Jesus did it, then they did it. I think the most symbolic book is Revelation, but I also think those symbolic writings mean literal things and happenings. It is very hard to figure it out though. That's why there is all this disagreement.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 PM

294 posts, read 273,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think the things you mentioned are literal because we know Jesus performed miracles. But there are people that think the entire Bible is symbolic and not to be taken literal. I like what Latte' Chic said....if it says God or Jesus did it, then they did it. I think the most symbolic book is Revelation, but I also think those symbolic writings mean literal things and happenings. It is very hard to figure it out though. That's why there is all this disagreement.
If the Bible says God or Jesus did it, yes they did it, but did what exactly?
In Matthew 16:12, Jesus refers to teachings as 'yeast'. This is clearly symbolic, and just because Jesus used this symbolism, it doesn't mean that he was lying. In exactly the same way, Jesus might have 'turned water into wine' without it being anything to do with literal water or wine. To discover what gospel passages are all about, it is vital to appreciate that early followers of Jesus often communicated in parable.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Problems arise any time we go too far one way or the other. Clearly, there are some parts of the Bible that are symbolic, metaphorical or figurative. That's obvious to even the most literal-minded reader. On the other hand, when you start leaning too far the other direction and interpreting everything symbolically, you run into even more difficulties. Symbols can mean whatever we choose to make them mean. If you have a word or phrase or even entire passages that you're interpreting to mean something other than they mean in plain, straightforward English, you can ask 100 people what the symbolism represents and get 100 different answers. That's why I personally lean towards a literal interpretation except when it's absolutely obvious that the literal interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:46 PM

294 posts, read 273,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Problems arise any time we go too far one way or the other. Clearly, there are some parts of the Bible that are symbolic, metaphorical or figurative. That's obvious to even the most literal-minded reader. On the other hand, when you start leaning too far the other direction and interpreting everything symbolically, you run into even more difficulties. Symbols can mean whatever we choose to make them mean. If you have a word or phrase or even entire passages that you're interpreting to mean something other than they mean in plain, straightforward English, you can ask 100 people what the symbolism represents and get 100 different answers. That's why I personally lean towards a literal interpretation except when it's absolutely obvious that the literal interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.
But if the Bible is largely symbolic, the literal interpretation is probably going to be just as wrong as the incorrect symbolic interpretations.
If you are looking at a list of codes, just because you can't crack one of them, it doesn't mean to say the writer didn't mean it to be a code, and that it's safe to take it literally.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,179,989 times
Obviously not. A literal understanding of the creation saga can be accepted as is (the view of science is a myth, as a myth is merely man's explanation for something, and it is fabricated by the mind as well as all ideas are fabricated by the mind which looks at things that it is not {ideas are not the objects}), but obviously one misses more important things in it, if one does.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
But if the Bible is largely symbolic, the literal interpretation is probably going to be just as wrong as the incorrect symbolic interpretations.
If you are looking at a list of codes, just because you can't crack one of them, it doesn't mean to say the writer didn't mean it to be a code, and that it's safe to take it literally.
But why just automatically assume that there is always some hidden meaning? There are parts of the Bible -- large parts -- which are clearly to be understood as meaning exactly what the words say. When a literally meaning wouldn't make sense, then it is probably symbolic, but when a literal meaning would make sense, there is no good reason to go off on some treasure seeking adventure when the plain truth is right there in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or