U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,937,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I am starting to read the entire Bible and have just finished Exodus...i have a couple questions that popped into my head along the way...perhaps you can help and share opinions.

1)Who wrote Genesis, where and when? I have heard that it was Moses...is that just an assumption?

2)If Moses wrote Genesis, where did he get all the information for the stories in that book? Was it oral history of his people or did God dictate it to him on Mt Sinai?

3) If God dictated Genesis to Moses, what material was used to write it down...if it was stone tablets, that must have been pretty ungainely to carry around in the wilderness.

4)If God did not dictate the book,and it was simply the oral history that came from the mouths of various tribal elders, then would it be safe to say that the words attributed to God in Genesis (when he talks to Abraham) were not the actual literal words of God, but assumptions of what God said?

5) If God did not dictate the entire book to Moses, but simply inspired Moses to write it based on conversations they had on Sinai, how accurate can we assume the details in the Genesis stories are? For example, perhaps God just simply told Moses "It was I who made a great flood and spared Noah and his family" and Moses, sometime after the conversation, not only wrote down, but expanded on what God had told him, making his own assumptions along the way (Ie- That the flood was 100% global, that every species of animal in the entire world was on the ark, that the floodwaters covered every mountain everywhere)....So can we maybe say, some details in Genesis are inaccurate, but God allowed the text to go unchanged through the centuries, because the basic gist of the story was intact (That God punished a particular civilization with a great disaster and saved the few that were wholesome of heart)

How literal can we take the words in Genesis is basically what i'm asking. Thanks to anyone who can share some ideas.
We can take it literally.

Ultimately we can trust God that he passed down to us what he wanted to know of the past. The bible has been extremely accurate on the things that we can test, so we can trust what we cannot test.

I have been interested in the tablet theory of Genesis and believe that this is how the text came to us.

To summarize it goes like this (you can look it up on the internet yourself for further study):

God taught Adam to write on tablets like the cunioform tablets (small clay tablets) we find in archeological digs. God wrote Gen. 1. Adam wrote Gen 2 and each of the patriarchs wrote their own tablet. The divisions are clear if you read "...and these are the generations of..." as the ending sentance to each tablet. Noah took these tablets with him. Shem (who is Melchizedek) gave them to Abraham. Abraham to Isaac. Issac to Jacob. Each recording their own life. Jacob went down into Egypt and gave a copy to Joseph for the library. Moses was taught in the kings courts and had access to these tablets. Moses merely compiled Genesis and then wrote Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Dueteronomy. Dueteronomy was finished by Joshua.

That is the gist of it. But this is just a theory and needs more study and archeological support. Trust what God has allowed to come to us as the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Moses wrote it, when God told him too.
Moses had all the writings of the patriarchs, from Adam to Enoch, to Noah, to Abraham... Jacob, and his twelve sons. Bits of the "testaments" of the patriarchs survive in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and are published as the "Genesis Apocryphon", from those texts.
The Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs comprise apocryphal texts written in Greek in the Common Era. They have nothing to do with the original patriarchs. The Genesis Apocryphon is a paraphrase of Genesis from the Second Temple Period.

Quote:
Moses was the prophesied deliverer of Israel, and having been born only 48 years after Joseph died, and having been raised a prince, he had access to all that Joseph left, when Joseph ruled as the king of Egypt for 80 years.
A great deal of nonsense.

Quote:
The patriarchs of the tribes of Israel kept written records, as all the patriarchs had, from Adam on. Genesis 5 is from Adam's book.

Under Joseph's reign, Egypt prospered exceedingly, increasing its military might and strength, and increasing its borders by winning wars, in those years. The pharaoh who sat on the throne, after Joseph died, listened to bad council, against Israel, and began to subjugate Israel little by little, until the tribes were tricked into becoming slaves [except the tribe of Levi, who were never slaves because they did not fall for the trickery. -This is all recorded in the Book of Jasher.
Book of Jasher
The Real Book of Jasher?
We've been over this already.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,332,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
The Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs comprise apocryphal texts written in Greek in the Common Era. .
You have been mislead by whomever you are reading talking points from. Better do your own research.
Quote:
Dead Sea Scrolls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...and the Genesis Apocryphon, the last being in Aramaic. All the large scrolls have been published.
Quote:

Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
You have been mislead by whomever you are reading talking points from. Better do your own research.
I do do my own research (and Wikipedia isn't research), and I didn't say the Genesis Apocryphon was written in Greek. Take a closer look at my post.

I will be presenting at this year's annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature on the Genesis Apocryphon. You're welcome to attend if you'd like to learn more.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,332,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
I do do my own research (and Wikipedia isn't research), and I didn't say the Genesis Apocryphon was written in Greek. Take a closer look at my post.

I will be presenting at this year's annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature on the Genesis Apocryphon. You're welcome to attend if you'd like to learn more.
I have already read experts on the subject. I have their links and books, which cover much more than the Genesis Apocryphon.
The Aprcryphon without Jasher is like a jigsaw puzzle without all the pieces. There is not so much recovered in the GA fragments, but what is there verifies what Jasher tells us about the patriarchs.
And the testaments of the patriarchs are part of what is called the Genesis Apocryphon. It was not written in Greek, in the DSS manuscripts.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I have already read experts on the subject.
I don't think you have.

Quote:
I have their links and books, which cover much more than the Genesis Apocryphon.
Please tell me exactly which books you've read by James VanderKam, John Collins, George Nickelsburg, Joseph Blenkinsopp, and Andre Orlov, and, very specifically, what you've learned from each book.

If you haven't read these scholars and you haven't learned very specific things from them then you haven't read the experts on the subjects.

Quote:
The Aprcryphon without Jasher is like a jigsaw puzzle without all the pieces. There is not so much recovered in the GA fragments, but what is there verifies what Jasher tells us about the patriarchs.
And the testaments of the patriarchs are part of what is called the Genesis Apocryphon. It was not written in Greek, in the DSS manuscripts.
No, the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs are not part of the Genesis Apocryphon, and I never said the latter was written in Greek. The Genesis Apocryphon represents Lamech's retelling of Genesis. The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs comprise texts pseudepigraphically written by each of the twelve sons of Jacob. They are written in Greek. Neither Lamech nor the Genesis Apocryphon has anything to do with the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs. You've got quite a bit of research to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity