U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:15 PM

23,382 posts, read 12,092,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No takers on my question here.

It's not a hard question... the ramifications, however, will take some people where they do not want to go.
No, it's not a hard question.

It wasn't a sin.

It wasn't a sin because it's an allegory - a story that never happened in reality.

No Adam. No Eve. No serpent. No tree.

No Yaweh.

And no original sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:59 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,392,600 times
All sexual activity outside of an exclusive, committed God-ordained marriage
is profane sin.
Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, not Eve and Barbara, and not
Adam, Eve, Barbara and Steve.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:23 PM

26,246 posts, read 14,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It might only have the ramifications you think it does if one believes that God literally commanded a literal man and woman not to eat a literal piece of fruit from a literal tree which literally would give people the knowledge of good and evil.
Well, I do, so.... that's a different issue.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM

20,595 posts, read 22,750,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
All sexual activity outside of an exclusive, committed God-ordained marriage
is profane sin.
Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, not Eve and Barbara, and not
Adam, Eve, Barbara and Steve.
And what "VOWS" did Adam and Steve take? Who officiated over their children's marriage? And how many other people did Adam have relations with to populate the world? One child every nine months just could not produce enough people to make a football team in less than 12 years...

Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM

15,050 posts, read 7,550,070 times
Quote:
Well, I do, so.... that's a different issue.

No, it's not a different issue. You indicated that you thought people not answering your question was because of the ramifications of the answer. Rather, people aren't answering because they do not accept your premise that it is a literally true story.

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-03-2016 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: my editor made me

Old 08-03-2016, 01:28 PM

20,595 posts, read 22,750,207 times
Quote:
I am answering a question with a question - that should lead to the answer of your question...

QUESTION: When Adam ate from the forbidden tree, why was it a sin? Because eating fruit is sinful, or because the command came from God?
Because a group of patriarchal men wrote what they wanted as a means of creating FEAR and OBEDIENCE from the people..

Old 08-03-2016, 01:31 PM

51,363 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:

It's not a hard question... the ramifications, however, will take some people where they do not want to go.
Yes, in the story, that's why it was a sin. Disobedience.

But it is still a story told to explain the human condition, not an actual event.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:19 PM

15,557 posts, read 7,013,428 times
Quote:
It might only have the ramifications you think it does if one believes that God literally commanded a literal man and woman not to eat a literal piece of fruit from a literal tree which literally would give people the knowledge of good and evil.
OR, it might not have the ramifications he thinks it does because of the difference between a child and an adult. If he thinks we are children, then he NEEDS the kind of supervision he is positing.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:10 PM

37,553 posts, read 25,261,889 times
Quote:
Quote:
Amen, Pleroo!!!!!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:19 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,392,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No, it's not a hard question.

It wasn't a sin.

It wasn't a sin because it's an allegory - a story that never happened in reality.

No Adam. No Eve. No serpent. No tree.

No Yaweh.

And no original sin.
welp, so much for Jesus with you, and vocal cohort of others here
in this forum:

Luke 24:44-49

44And he said to them: These are the words which I spoke to you, while I was yet with you, that all things must needs be fulfilled, which are written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45Then he opened their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures.
46And he said to them: Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise again from the dead, the third day:
47And that penance and remission of sins should be preached in his name, unto all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48And you are witnesses of these things.
49And I send the promise of my Father upon you: but stay you in the city till you be endued with power from on high.

Say bye to Jesus... all who love sin more than truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity