U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,223,939 times

Advertisements

all you can really do is to serve to be a good example to him,and to pray for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,818,165 times
The best thing is to pray.
James 5:16...The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

After prayer try to speak the truth in a loving tone. (But to him that will not be loving). As of now, he is the prodical son. Only time will tell if he comes to his senses.

The truth is that sadly some people do forfeit the grace given them. They chose to no longer confess that "Jesus is Lord" of my life.
  • Matthew 16:26
  • Matthew 13:21
  • Galatians 5:4
  • 2 Peter 3:17

Romans 10: 9-10
    That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
    For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved
The worse thing to do is to create an situation that closes communication. Things of this nature do not change themselves overnight. He didn't get to that point overnight and he will not reverse himself overnight.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,685,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I am part of a very religious family, but my brother decided to become an athiest several years ago. At the time, it didn't bother me that he was an athiest, but over the last several years athiesm has completely consumed his entire life. He started up an athiest group and he spends all of his time on athiest websites and chatrooms. He no longer goes to sporting events, movies, or concerts unless it is somehow tied in with athiesm. He has also become difficult to talk to because he is constantly making sarcastic remarks about christianity. Even his facebook posts are all athiest related, some of which openly refer to christians as idiots. As a result of all these things nobody in the family looks forward to seeing him at the family reunions or holidays. He is no longer the fun loving person that he used to be.
I've known lots of athiests, and normally I get along with them just fine because they usually have more going on in their lives besides athiesm, but I don't know what to say to my brother. He is pissing off the family and I can't think of a way to tell him that he is acting like Moderator cut: deleted - inappropriate Does anybody have any suggestions about how I can deal with the situation?

The problem is that somewhere along the line he has been deeply hurt by those claiming to be "godly". The best thing you can do is perhaps try to find out who hurt him deeply and go from that point, if not, allow him to purge the religious poison from his mind.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM

13,886 posts, read 9,662,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack70 View Post
From my experience all atheists I have dealt with are extremely negative and angry people!!
You need to get out more.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,572,297 times
I have a brother and a daughter who are professing atheists. I find that the best way to deal with it is to Live and Let Live - show mutual respect.

It sounds like your brother might be in a bit of a phase. I say that because of your description of him seeming "obsessed" with his atheism. There are also religious folk who are obsessed with "acting religious" and with trying to spread their religious views. Some atheists are the very same way, their atheism having become a type of religion or passion that drives them and gives some sense of meaning to their existence.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:28 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,044,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The best thing is to pray.
James 5:16...The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

After prayer try to speak the truth in a loving tone. (But to him that will not be loving). As of now, he is the prodical son. Only time will tell if he comes to his senses.

The truth is that sadly some people do forfeit the grace given them. They chose to no longer confess that "Jesus is Lord" of my life.
  • Matthew 16:26
  • Matthew 13:21
  • Galatians 5:4
  • 2 Peter 3:17

Romans 10: 9-10
    That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
    For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved
The worse thing to do is to create an situation that closes communication. Things of this nature do not change themselves overnight. He didn't get to that point overnight and he will not reverse himself overnight.
Amen !!
My brother was a devoted Atheist.... and just as twin shared "The best thing is to pray" and for many years I prayed for him and loved him all the way with the love of Christ.
Then last year before he died in his sleep (a very young age of 53 ) he came to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. Keep praying !!!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 AM

13,463 posts, read 21,212,300 times
My son is agnostic. I do not preach, beg or threaten him to believe what I believe.

I love him, God loves him. I trust the Holy Spirit of God to lead my son in their time, not mine.

We talk about God sometimes when his dad is not around. His dad is very fundamental to an extreme in his beliefs and may have contributed to my son's agnosticism over the years of his childhood and young adult.

I think the best thing one can do for a family member is answer questions if asked and "show" them Christ with as little conversation as possible.
Preaching, threats, argueing, bible thumping makes one turn away from the God you are showing him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity