U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,724,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I don't know. LOL I didn't notice I wrote that! I meant reject not regret. Sorry!
LOL! That is funny. I don't know if reject is the right word either, but I know what you mean. For me, I wondered in my heart why God would burn people forever, so I asked Him. I looked up scriptures about it to confirm my belief and to try to understand it. Then God led me to scriptures that taught me that hell is not a literal lake of fire and the Holy Spirit (the mind of Christ) confirmed it to me. That's when I realized that doubting hell wasn't doubting God. It was doubting manmade doctrine. You can consider that rejecting hell, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:50 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,389,238 times
Quote:
I wanted to do the big smiley face, but it wouldn't work!

If you are talking about the big green one, Ironmaw said to just do it manually. Hit the colon and a capital D and then it should work. Mine doesn't work unless I do it manually. I don't know why.

(: and then D)

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,693,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
If you are talking about the big green one, Ironmaw said to just do it manually . Hit the colon and a capital D and then it should work. Mine doesn't work unless I do mine manually. I don't know why. (: and then D)
Thanks!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,389,238 times
Quote:
Thanks!!!

You are welcome!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,297,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
By the way, UR is Christian.
Some are yes. And some aren't. As in many sects. However, by an opinion of your, sure, by the council....no. What UR needs to do is organize, and assemble one, and debate with the council, and prove their claim.

Quote:
Then the Calvinists believe Christ doesn't even want to save the whole world.
I am not Arminian, so I can't speak for them, but I am Calvinist, and I can speak for them. You misunderstand Calvinism, as you do Christianity as a whole. We all believe Christ came to save the world. But we also believe man has freewill. And we also subject to God's will and purpose for man, good or bad. And we also believe that we can never know the counsel of God, and why He is and does what He does.

We also believe the work on the cross is sufficient for all mankind.

What we don't believe is that mankind, after he dies in his sin and rejection of Christ, will be given a second chance at salvation and life with God, Jesus and the New Creation. And that is what keeps you far from the council and the acceptance as a Christian sect, because nowhere in the Holy Scriptures, is this doctrine promoted, or even hinted at. Anywhere.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,780,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I suppose its banned because people think its heresy, but there are some forums (like CARM) that allow all sorts of heresy to be discussed, except for UR. The idea of UR cannot be defeated IMHO if studied objectively and compared with properly translated scripture. I believe it is banned simply because UR asks the tough questions and exposes the contradictions in Christianity.
I totally agree. Anyone who is lurking or seriously searching for the truth with an open mind will see ET for what it truly is when it is debated next to UR. That`s why UR can never be defeated in a debate. It is also why ET`ers become frustrated with UR and want it banned. The light of God`s word shines on it and the darkness flees from the light. They can usually hold their own in a debate against other doctrines. But with UR they become frustrated because they can`t refute the scriptures that support God`s reconcilliation. So rather than have their doctrine and beliefs exposed, they resort to banning it. It`s forums like these where UR can be debated next to ET that turn so many to UR.Some people just can`t let go of their pre conceived teachings or ideas.
This forum is a perfect example of people who think they are so educated in God`s word. They usually can quote scripture backward and forward and use it to easily refute other doctrines. But when they are faced with a well informed,inquiring mind,of UR, their doctrine is exposed and the usual standard verses they throw out,don`t hold up under the light. That hurts their pride and ego.

Quote:
People want to believe in eternal torment even though it can be shown to be not in scripture. People want to believe in free will even though it can be shown to be not in scripture. People just want to hang onto these two ideas for some reason, even though they are contrary to what scripture says. I believe it is simply due to pride.
Again, I agree..it`s pride. They can`t face or accept what they have believed for so long is heresy.They can`t accept that maybe their parents were wrong,their pastor,their friends,the people they looked up to as educated teachers..all wrong. So they would rather agree and run with the masses. But we know that many are called..BUT FEW are chosen. They would rather be part of the many.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,409,656 times
Quote:
I wanted to do the big smiley face, but it wouldn't work!
Mine didn't either I see. I understand you want to follow the bible. I admire that about you and your posts. I never questioned my beliefs before I noticed just one verse seemingly by accident when it struck me. Everyone has a different verse it seems that triggers that AH HA moment. All I can testify to you about is my own experience. That AH HA moment brought me from fearing God to loving God. I did not even realize I was fearing him.

Now you might say that the bible states to 'fear' God, right? To revere him.. but I was afraid/terrified that I would mess up and be in hell for eternity...

Anyway the change in me was noticed by EVERYone I came in contact with... I thank God for the understanding I have of the good news.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,724,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I am not Arminian, so I can't speak for them, but I am Calvinist, and I can speak for them. You misunderstand Calvinism, as you do Christianity as a whole. We all believe Christ came to save the world. But we also believe man has freewill. And we also subject to God's will and purpose for man, good or bad. And we also believe that we can never know the counsel of God, and why He is and does what He does.

What Calvinism are you talking about? Calvinism uses "TULIP" to explain what it is. The "L" is the opposite of what you just said! And by the way, take out the "L" and you pretty much have Universalism! You might want to give that some thought since you say you're a Calvinist who doesn't believe in limited atonement!

Calvinism's "TULIP" (The simplistic version)
T -- total depravity. This doesn't mean people are as bad as they can be. It means that sin is in every part of one's being, including the mind and will, so that a man cannot save himself.

U -- unconditional election. God chooses to save people unconditionally; that is, they are not chosen on the basis of their own merit.

L -- limited atonement. The sacrifice of Christ on the cross was for the purpose of saving the elect.

I -- irresistible grace. When God has chosen to save someone, He will.

P -- perseverence of the saints. Those people God chooses cannot lose their salvation; they will continue to believe. If they fall away, it will be only for a time.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post

You are a Calvinist. You believe God has chosen some to be saved (the elect). Therefore God has also not chosen the rest to be saved. Am I misunderstanding anything here? Those who are not chosen, never had a chance - according to your belief system. God doesn't want to save those He didn't choose. So please don't try to tell me you think God wants to save the world - all people, because that is a flat out lie. You think God came to save the elect and that's it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,768,019 times
Of all the beliefs out there I think Calvinism is the most self-righteous one of all. This is NOT true, God will have ALL mankind to be saved, as His Word says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity