U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,389,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God's system for spiritual growth during the church-age. Eph 4:11-16.
But verse 11 contradicts what you said about there being no prophets...11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

If there are teachers then there must also be prophets... right? and the whole chapter is about doing things IN LOVE therefore the doctrine for the church-age is to LOVE and teach IN LOVE....see 1 John 4.

Quote:
Again. Jesus Christ is the Living Word. The Bible is the written word. The thoughts, the thinking of Christ set down in writing, recorded for the purpose of edification.

Orally or written, they are His words. His thoughts. The word of God is alive and powerful.
So are they Christ's words written or that of God? or both I guess since you think Christ and God are one and the same... however, none of the bible was actually written by Christ even though he had fingers and the means/ability to do so.... Why do you think God needed to send his word in flesh but then that flesh didn't write anything down? Was Christ just dictating his thoughts? I can see if Jesus wrote the NT but he didn't pen one word of it, others did.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,555,893 times
Quote:
God's system for spiritual growth during the church-age. Eph 4:11-16.
Given by Paul to a church system that was just learning to walk - we're not to stay in an infant stage.

Quote:
Again. Jesus Christ is the Living Word. The Bible is the written word. The thoughts, the thinking of Christ set down in writing, recorded for the purpose of edification.
Scripture itself tells us that the world itself could not contain the books if they chronicled all the ministry of Christ. God is not dead, He is still active and doing new things in the world today - He doesn't have or need an epitaph.

Quote:
Orally or written, they are His words. His thoughts. The word of God is alive and powerful.
Agreed.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,110,371 times
Daily bread, daily manna. We all need to hear the voice of God daily, the Spirit of righteousness leading us into all truth. Those who are led by the Spirit are Sons of God. The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. Are we moving with the Cloud in the wilderness?
Jesus said, "the words that I speak unto you are spirit and life." We must hear Him speaking to our hearts today. The writings of the prophets and apostles are a testimony of what they have heard from the Spirit. But until we also have the same witness in ourselves, they will only be letters in ink.
All of us can be writing epistles as God talks to us in our hearts!!! That is what He is asking today is to Walk with Him and Commune with Him!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM

20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I do understand the point, I disagree with what you have said and now the answer you just gave is contradictory.

According to what you have described someone will have to be in proximity to the written word and the paper it is written on in order to learn what it says.
Obviously you must first learn it before you can utilize it. Food on the shelf does you no good. You must first eat it and metabolize it before it is of any use to you. In lilke manner, the doctrines of the word of God must be transfered into your soul before they do you any good. Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found and I ate them, And Thy words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart.

Quote:
I am telling you it is a fact that many people know what God and Christ are all about, but they never put it into words of any language, it was knowledge of truth in ones heart.

Religion comes along and tries to redefine that truth into physical things that meets the approval of groups of people.
To the contrary. Apart from the communication of the Gospel message, there is no knowledge of the issue of salvation.

I won't bother answering the rest of your post as you are set against the truth and have no intention of listening.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Obviously you must first learn it before you can utilize it. Food on the shelf does you no good. You must first eat it and metabolize it before it is of any use to you. In lilke manner, the doctrines of the word of God must be transfered into your soul before they do you any good. Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found and I ate them, And Thy words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart.
If there is no stomach, food cannot be eaten - so it is spiritually: there must first be a connection before the written word can be taken, accepted and processed.

This is extremely true in spiritual growth. You must know Him before you can understand the depth in His word. The carnal mind cannot accept the things of God - we quote that all the time, but the problem is an elephant in the room.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Given by Paul to a church system that was just learning to walk - we're not to stay in an infant stage.
The system is for the duration of the church-age. The system is for the teaching of the word of God so that believers can grow spiritually and not remain spiritual infants. The system doesn't and hasn't changed.

Quote:
Scripture itself tells us that the world itself could not contain the books if they chronicled all the ministry of Christ. God is not dead, He is still active and doing new things in the world today - He doesn't have or need an epitaph.
The written Cannon of Scripture contains the complete and connected thought of God with regard to what He has deemed necessary to record for the purpose of communicating His message to man for the purpose of spiritual growth and edification.

Why when I have said repeatedly that the word of God is alive and powerful, do you feel it necessary to state the obvious that God is not dead? Who except for you has said anything about epitaphs?

The Bible is the word of God. The word of truth. By it's own declaration.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,683,849 times
Quote:
Obviously you must first learn it before you can utilize it.
I used what I knew without the written word being taught to me.

Quote:

To the contrary. Apart from the communication of the Gospel message, there is no knowledge of the issue of salvation.

Salvation according to some religious posture is not needed in the first place.

I was given the Good News of Love before I could read, that represented how I was supposed to treat people. I was mocked and beaten up as a result of utilizing the knowledge of being kind to someone, I was told the devil was in me because I dared to question religion when what I knew I should do for people was contradicted by the teaching that if I didn;t do something a certain way I was damned forever.

It was nonsense then, it is nonsense now.

Quote:
I won't bother answering the rest of your post as you are set against the truth and have no intention of listening.
I have every intention of listening, I disagree with you, it is that simple. This is what it comes down to when your religious instruction is shown to be fools gold.

So don't answer anything, is that supposed to bother me or something?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Why when I have said repeatedly that the word of God is alive and powerful, do you feel it necessary to state the obvious that God is not dead? Who except for you has said anything about epitaphs?
You have, by relegating God to a book.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
But verse 11 contradicts what you said about there being no prophets...11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

If there are teachers then there must also be prophets... right? and the whole chapter is about doing things IN LOVE therefore the doctrine for the church-age is to LOVE and teach IN LOVE....see 1 John 4.
Distinguish between the pre-Cannon era of the church-age and the post-Cannon era (the completion of the Cannon of Scripture).

Spiritual Gifts - The Temporary Gifts of Healing, Miracles, and Faith

THE TEMPORARY GIFTS

The Holy Spirit and Miraculous Gifts

Quote:
So are they Christ's words written or that of God? or both I guess since you think Christ and God are one and the same... however, none of the bible was actually written by Christ even though he had fingers and the means/ability to do so.... Why do you think God needed to send his word in flesh but then that flesh didn't write anything down? Was Christ just dictating his thoughts? I can see if Jesus wrote the NT but he didn't pen one word of it, others did.
None of that is even worthy of an answer. Any true Christian will immediately see how foolish those questions and your reasoning are.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,750,368 times
So what is the beef here? I haven't seen one person say that the Bible is not the written Word of God. If someone has said that, then that's another belief system entirely. But to say that the Bible is the only way God communicates with His own is.....well.....wrong. There are plenty of people who pray and have their prayers answered....isn't that God speaking to us? Do you not have a conscience? If you do, then God speaks to you everyday. It's sad that some cannot recognize God outside of some words on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or