Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Mike is saying that the bible is all you need.
The Bible breathes God, Christ and the Holy Spirit, and is pertinent in your life and walk. It is living.
Without its guidance, your personal relationship with Him will be severely limited.
So yes, the scriptrues are all you need.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
There were several categories of revelation given to Old Testament prophets and others before the existence of Scripture.

1) God revealed Himself and His plan through the spoken Word (Isa. 6:8-10);

2) Dreams (Gen. 15:12; 31:10-13, 24; Num. 12:6; Dan. 10:9);

3) Visions (1 Kings 22:19; Isa. 1:1; 6:1);

4) Angelic teaching (Deut. 33:2; Ps. 68:17; Acts 7:53; Gal 3:19).

Now, in the Church-age, God reveals Himself through the written word. The Bible.

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

2 Tim 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect (mature) thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Tim 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (The word of God).

Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
But what gets me is that with all you saying that the bible is the word of God and is all you need, how can you have such differing doctrines e.g you and mike -- mike accuses you of heresy for your belief in preterism. There are a lot more differing doctrines aside from UR futurism vs preterism OSAS, calvinism arminianism, etc If the bible was all you need there would be no interpretation needed. It is obvious that the Holy Spirit - the comforter that was promised illuminates the scriptures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The Bible breathes God, Christ and the Holy Spirit, and is pertinent in your life and walk. It is living.
Without its guidance, your personal relationship with Him will be severely limited.
So yes, the scriptrues are all you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Quote:
But what gets me is that with all you saying that the bible is the word of God and is all you need, how can you have such differing doctrines e.g you and mike -- mike accuses you of heresy for your belief in preterism. There are a lot more differing doctrines aside from UR futurism vs preterism OSAS, calvinism arminianism, etc If the bible was all you need there would be no interpretation needed. It is obvious that the Holy Spirit - the comforter that was promised illuminates the scriptures.

Go back and reread my posts. I have stated a number of times now on this thread that the Holy Spirit makes the doctrines of the word of God perspicacious.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
I post it again so that those with common sense can see the foolishness of those who stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the simple truth that God has recorded His word in writing for the benefit of the believer.
In another post you said:
Quote:
Do you not understand? Every word which proceeds out of the mouth of God is His word. That it is recorded in writing makes it no less His word and no less important. The Bible is God's recorded message to man. It is the written word of God.
1. How do you know that the words written in the bible are out of the mouth of God? Who testifies to this?

2. The bible records historical events as well... are those God's exact words? Did he dictate this from HIS perspective or ours? WHY? Or did God USE humans to process his words and write them down?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM

This thread has shown the following...

1) The Bible shows itself to be the written word of God.

2) There are people who understand that the Bible is the word of God.

3) There are people who will probably never understand that the Bible is the word of God.

4) There are people who will go to every possible length to try and disprove that the Bible is the word of God.

My purpose was to demonstrate the above.

There is no point in continuing to argue with those who will not listen even to the Scriptures themselves.

As far as I am concerned, this thread has served its purpose. If the moderators wish to close it, there is no reason not to. Any further replies from me will be simply to refer readers back to my previous posts.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:11 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
This thread has shown the following...

1) The Bible shows itself to be the written word of God.

2) There are people who understand that the Bible is the word of God.

3) There are people who will probably never understand that the Bible is the word of God.

4) There are people who will go to every possible length to try and disprove that the Bible is the word of God.

My purpose was to demonstrate the above.

There is no point in continuing to argue with those who will not listen even to the Scriptures themselves.

As far as I am concerned, this thread has served its purpose. If the moderators wish to close it, there is no reason not to. Any further replies from me will be simply to refer readers back to my previous posts.

Great, but in the process you failed to point out that you raised a strawman and then argued and defeated the strawman. Good for you.

Quote:
It seems that many professing Christians regard the Bible as nothing more then dead letters in a book. This explains why they feel free to disregard the Scriptures that they personally don't like and refer to them as doctrines of men.

Your perspective is a straw man, even if you are not aware of it. I can only go by what you write.

You are not the only one who does this.

You present everything you write as the truth of God, you claim in so many words that what you write is not you saying it, you are just repeating what the bible says.

This is a inherant fallacy, everything your write is an intepretation that you now accept. Have you ever been at a point where you realize what you have written was wrong?

Of course you have, so therefore any claim prior to coming to that understanding that you were just posting what God said was inherantly false concerning what you were wrong about.

In fairness, if you are talking about someone who has specifically stated that the bible is dead letters in a book while professing to be a Christian, then it will be easy to provide the post of such a person or group and I will happily go about my business and realize who specifically you were talking to.

Otherwise I personally believe the whole bible as we know it is indeed the written word of God, they are not dead letters.

What is not true in any manner is that if I disagree with you, that I am rejecting the word of God. nor am I ignoring the scriptures I do not like, I simply believe they mean something different than you do.

If you cannot accept this fact, I am ok with that, but I get tired of anyone, regaurdless of their doctrinal stance, who simply asserts what they say to be so pure than anyone not believing them has trampled on Gods word, it really is getting pathetic.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
And my final post on the matter:

The bible is the record we have of God's dealings with man, including His words to His followers.

What the bible says is true, though most often it's interpreted too lightly (naturally).

The bible is not all we need, for it did not create the heavens and the earth, it did not carry a cross up Calvary's hill, be crucified, and rise again, and though its words are written on our hearts, we are still led, defended, disciplined and cared for by His mighty hand.

Under your wings, oh Lord, will I hide! (because the pages are too small, even in giant print).

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Great, but in the process you failed to point out that you raised a strawman and then argued and defeated the strawman. Good for you.

Your perspective is a straw man, even if you are not aware of it. I can only go by what you write.

You are not the only one who does this.

You present everything you write as the truth of God, you claim in so many words that what you write is not you saying it, you are just repeating what the bible says.

This is a inherant fallacy, everything your write is an intepretation that you now accept. Have you ever been at a point where you realize what you have written was wrong?

Of course you have, so therefore any claim prior to coming to that understanding that you were just posting what God said was inherantly false concerning what you were wrong about.

In fairness, if you are talking about someone who has specifically stated that the bible is dead letters in a book while professing to be a Christian, then it will be easy to provide the post of such a person or group and I will happily go about my business and realize who specifically you were talking to.

Otherwise I personally believe the whole bible as we know it is indeed the written word of God, they are not dead letters.

What is not true in any manner is that if I disagree with you, that I am rejecting the word of God. nor am I ignoring the scriptures I do not like, I simply believe they mean something different than you do.

If you cannot accept this fact, I am ok with that, but I get tired of anyone, regaurdless of their doctrinal stance, who simply asserts what they say to be so pure than anyone not believing them has trampled on Gods word, it really is getting pathetic.
Refer back to the appropriate post.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
This is the reason why we need to follow the BIBLE! It sounds good on paper to say that the Holy Spirit will lead you to discern what is true in the Bible, but clearly many people are being told different things and obviously the Holy Spirit doesn't tell people conflicting truth. This is why the Bible is so important. If the Holy Spirit is telling us something, it will align with God's Holy Word! If it doesn't, you need to really reevaluate what you believe the Holy Spirit is saying!
Cantwait2leave

So in the example with both mike and sciotamicks claim to be following the bible and are following teachings that are found in the bible, with their different interpretations of preterism and futurism --- so tell me which one is biblical? Who do I believe?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
In so saying, you have just profaned God and impugned His holy character. Those such as you, likely will never understand. You remain unable to understand the simplest of spiritual truths no matter how clear they are made to you.
You misunderstand what i am saying Mike ... The bible is inspired of the truth, and the truth can be deduced from it, but the bible itself is not THE truth. I didn't mean that the bible is not true or that the bible is a lie, i meant that the bible is not THE truth ... Christ is THE truth.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 05-21-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity