Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No you do not understand. No one has said the Bible is God. You have shown yourself to be utterly incapable of comprehending what is being said. You cannot get it through your head that the Bible is the recorded thoughts of God and therefore is the word of God.

I am finished with trying to explain it to you. Those who have spiritual common sense understand what I and what any true Christian understands.
There is nothing for you to explain that is of any worth .

The scriptures testify of who Jesus is , how clearer do you need it to be

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me,John 5 verse 39.Jesus's own words.

What does this verse say about the scriptures ?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There is nothing for you to explain that is of any worth .

The scriptures testify of who Jesus is , how clearer do you need it to be

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me,John 5 verse 39.

What does this verse say about the scriptures ?
I said the discussion is over. I'll waste no more time on you.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
I said the discussion is over. I'll waste no more time on you.
Yes sir

Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes sir

Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
We call the Living word the Bible.
Do you not even recognize how ludicrous this sounds? Jesus is the living Word of God . . . not some compilation of books designed to predict His coming and validate His relationship to God.You either believe in Jesus as the living Word of God who abides in us and we in Him . . . or you worship a set of books.
1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Do you not even recognize how ludicrous this sounds? Jesus is the living Word of God . . . not some compilation of books designed to predict His coming and validate His relationship to God.You either believe in Jesus as the living Word of God who abides in us and we in Him . . . or you worship a set of books.
1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.
Of course Jesus is the living word, as the scriptures are the revelation of Him, as it is in us, the mind of Christ, which is the scriptures.

And the compilation of books you define, I consider alive.
So does every Christian I know, preterist or futurist.
Guess you are outside of that fold. But then again, you think the prophets were just savages, so what does this matter to you anyway?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Quote:
Those who have spiritual common sense understand what I and what any true Christian understands.
Not much of that around it seems.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Not much of that around it seems.
Sadly so. It is amazing that no matter how well you explain something to some people they just won't get it. Beyond a certain point, it is useless to continue talking to them.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Of course Jesus is the living word, as the scriptures are the revelation of Him, as it is in us, the mind of Christ, which is the scriptures.
The mind of Christ is in Christ . . . NOT the scriptures and He abides in us and us in Him. His Holy Spirit guides us from within to know God . . . NOT the interpretations of ignorant primitives. The scriptures are USEFUL for instruction in righteousness . . . NOT the inerrant word of God. They tell us what we need to know to recognize the validity of Jesus through His fulfillment of prophesy . . . even till today. They give us hope. But the Good News is that what we need to know is "written in our hearts" by God. Our sufficiency is of God and our trust in Christ through Godward.
Quote:
And the compilation of books you define, I consider alive.
So does every Christian I know, preterist or futurist.
Guess you are outside of that fold. But then again, you think the prophets were just savages, so what does this matter to you anyway?
Everything "alive" changes daily from minute to minute. Your "alive" Bible has been stagnant for some 2000 - 4000+ years or more. It was not intended to be so. As Paul said . . . they were originally created for carnal men with limited knowledge and understanding . . . so they contain "milk" . . . NOT solid food. That was supposed to evolve and be spiritually discerned as we became more knowledgeable and spiritually mature. The exact opposite happened. The stagnant written word was enshrined and made an idol to be worshipped . . . while knowledge was disdained and ignorance lauded as a virtue. Power and control evolved where there was never to be any . . . and enforced by fear and threats . . . not nurtured by love. It matters to me, sciota because I love all my brothers and sisters and it pains me to see them so proud to remain ignorant and misguided by a system that exploits them instead of nurturing their spiritual understanding and development. I feel extreme sadness that so many believe such heinous things about our loving God.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 AM

Excerpt #1:

Quote:
Some thirty-eight hundred times the Bible declares, “God said,” or “Thus says the Lord” (e.g. Ex. 14:1; 20:1; Lev. 4:1; Num. 4:1; Deut. 4:2; 32:48; Isa. 1:10, 24; Jer. 1:11; Ezek. 1:3; etc.). Paul also recognized that the things he was writing were the Lord’s commandments (1 Cor. 14:37), and they were acknowledged as such by the believers (1 Thess. 2:13). Peter proclaimed the certainty of the Scriptures and the necessity of heeding the unalterable and certain Word of God (2 Pet. 1:16-21). John too recognized that his teaching was from God; to reject his teaching was to reject God (1 John 4:6).17

For other passages which either declare or assume the Bible as God’s Word see Deuteronomy 6:6-9, 17-18; Joshua 1:8-9; 8:32-35; 2 Samuel 22:31; Ps. 1:2; 12:6; 19:7-11; 93:5; 119:9, 11, 18, 89-93, 130; Prov. 30:5-6; Matthew 5:17-19; 22:29; Mark 13:31; Luke 16:17; John 2:22; 5:24; 10:35; Acts 17:11; Romans 10:17; Colossians 3:16; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 2:15; 3:15-17; 1 Peter 1:23-25; 2 Peter 3:15-16; Revelation 1:2; 22:18.

Excerpt #2:

Quote:
The ever present assumption of the writers of the Bible is that the Bible is the God-breathed Word of God. A good illustration is seen in Psalm 19:7-11 which not only declares the Bible to be the Word of God, but identifies six perfections with corresponding transformations of human character that the Bible will produce in those who study and apply it in faith.

Excerpt #3:

Quote:
Speaking of the Bible as “a phenomenon which is explainable in but one way—it is the word of God,” the late Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer wrote, “It is not such a book as man would write if he could, or could write if he would.”22 It is beyond the scope of man’s capacity to write a book like the Bible under the conditions describes above apart from its divine origin.

The Bible: The Written Word of God | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

Just one passage from those listed in Excerpt #1 above.

Acts 17:11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonca, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

17:10-15 The Jews in Berea applied seriously to the study of the word preached unto them. They not only heard Paul preach on the sabbath, but daily searched the Scriptures, and compared what they read with the facts related to them. The doctrine of Christ does not fear inquiry; advocates for his cause desire no more than that people will fully and fairly examine whether things are so or not. Those are truly noble, and likely to be more and more so, who make the Scriptures their rule, and consult them accordingly. May all the hearers of the gospel become like those of Berea, receiving the word with readiness of mind, and searching the Scriptures daily, whether the things preached to them are so.

From the following link...

Acts 17:11 Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

The Bereans searched the Scriptures, the written word of God to see if Paul and Silas were telling them the truth. Paul and Silas had been communicating to the Berean's the word of God. They had been speaking the word of God to the Berean's and the Berean's consulted the written word of God to confirm what Paul and Silas had told them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity