Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
HEAR the word of God... doesn't seem to be talking about the bible. but spoken testimony.

Any time you speak you have spoken words... well unless you prefer guttural sounds! So realistically the word of truth is any truth that is spoken...

Yet we know that the scriptures being referred to are the OT scriptures right? Because Paul could not have been referring to scripture he was writing... right? Or do you think he included the letter in which he wrote in saying "sacred writings"? I doubt Paul knew his letter would become a "sacred writing" years later... do you?

Come again. I think I just saw that fly right over my head. Can you dumb that down a bit so I can ingest it? Thanks!
The word of God, spoken or written is the word of God. Who do you think was giving the man the word of God. Where do you think they got it? That's right!!! From the Scriptures. Just as Jesus Himself referred to the Old Testament Scriptures and in so doing validated their authority as the word of God.

Paul knew full well that his letters, which were being circulated to the various churches would be a part of the Cannon of Scripture. Paul had been chosen by God to teach the doctrines of the church and knew that his letters would be preserved.

But you continue on with your doubts.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Mike your posts on this are awesome and right on! Paul said all Scripture is the infallible inerrant Word of the Heavenly Father. It's not some mixture of history, poetry, and narrative which God allowed to be tainted by human error.
1 Peter 1:21 tells us it the Holy Spirit moved the prophets to speak from God.
It really saddens me to read what people are saying about the Bible.
I feel the same way. I don't know how any professing "Christian" can say such things about the Word of God.

Mark 13:31 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God has decreed that during the dispensation of the Church, He communicates ONLY through His written word.
very bizarre thing to say. Do you think He's deaf too? (as well as mute?)

Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Little Elmer you made this comment in light of a claim that God communicates only through his written word.

I agree with you here in every way. Spend some time as a believer walking anywhere without a bible to read and I seriously would find it sad that any one would say that they would not get messages, direction, or inspiration in some way through other means.

I find no thought in my heart of criticism, or argument, or anything but a prayer that anyone like that would see some kind of communication from God even through a flower they walk by when taking a walk.
Flowers do not communicate Bible doctrine. Flowers do not allow for spiritual advancement.

As I have said, the doctrines of the Bible must be learned and stored in the soul of the believer. The Holy Spirit works with the doctrine that is in the believers soul. That doctrine was originally in the Bible.

2 Tim 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
question: if the Bible is the word of God, why is it sold in bookstores, and modified according to man's carnal interpretation? Some Bibles even omit verses that the translators have judged are "not valid!"

The letter kills. Christ within you is able to save you daily! Yes, the word is within every heart of man, the word which we preach.

My 2c for today!

Blessings,
brian

Sold in bookstores. I have wondered many times about that. SOLD! Religion is a VERY big business around the world. I wonder how that happened?

Babylon will fall soon enough, I'm guessing.

Last edited by herefornow; 05-20-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
The Holy Spirit indwells the body of the church-age believer. But He uses the doctrine in the soul of the believer which was transfered from the pages of the written word, to guide the believer. The Holy Spirit does not guide apart from God's word in the soul of the believer. It's not a complicated thing to understand.
Well which bible was Peter reading from when Jesus asked him who did he think he was ?.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well which bible was Peter reading from when Jesus asked him who did he think he was ?.

When God revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, it was during the age of Israel. The church-age had not begun. It is during the church-age that God only communicates through the written word. Do you understand what I am saying about the relationship between the Holy Spirit and the written word and the soul of the believer?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
When God revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, it was during the age of Israel. The church-age had not begun. It is during the church-age that God only communicates through the written word. Do you understand what I am saying about the relationship between the Holy Spirit and the written word and the soul of the believer?
So according to the scriptures we have something far more wonderful than anything the OT saints had (don't forget they were having revelations that were not revealed to them by flesh and blood) and you want to limit our knowledge of him to the written word . You are grossly under estimating the accomplishment of the Cross and the creation of the new man.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
God has decreed that during the dispensation of the Church, He communicates ONLY through His written word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
very bizarre thing to say. Do you think He's deaf too? (as well as mute?)
Well? If He can't communicate right now in any way except the bible, why pray? Why should He listen if the answer is already given?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Here's a scripture that those who believe in eternal torment and free will love to quote, what they do not realize is that it proves that God speaks to men apart from the written word

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1 verse 20.

Here's another scripture , bear in mind as you read the verse from Hebrews below that Jesus said to his disciples "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you".

1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son Hebrews 1.

Mike are you saying that the Greater one who lives within us is deaf and mute ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity