U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,238,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::SIGH:: Verna . . . "you don't understand it...you use it, but you don't know what it means...God's kind of love IS superior...and a resounding! YES!..<<<that we indeed DO need to enlargen our hearts with HIS KIND OF LOVE!"
Verna, Verna, Verna . . . if only you truly understood what this means. Answer the following question by searching your innermost self in ALL sincerity and honesty (NOT with your knee jerk answer that you have been taught God wants) . . . because that is where God has written the answers: "Which kind of love would YOU truly most value . . . one that says . . . "Obey me OR ELSE I wont love you and you will suffer eternally" . . or one that says . . . "You are so very precious to me . . . I will always love you and want you to avoid the consequences of mistakes in your life by following me." For ONCE . . . don't parrot your dogma . . . and don't change the question . . . just be completely truthful and honest (ignore that it is about God, if you must).
Dear Mystic,
First and foremost, I do not need to ignore that it is about God, to be completely truthful and honest in answering "which" kind of "love" I would value most...let's be perfectly clear about that...o.k..?...sincerely......quite the contrary...it IS THE love OF God that I value THE most.

You "label" my innermost sincerity and my deepest, heart felt honesty, "knee-jerk,"...or..."parroted-dogma,"...or..."conditioned indoctrination"...or..."generic answers"...and so many other's...but that's o.k....it's because you hold a very dark, spiritless, dead opinion of the God breathed, Holy Spirit inspired, written word of the living God...because you, yourself are able to take God out of the equation along with all He has to say in those beautiful written words filled with life...I cannot do that...I don't know how to do that...everything I hold to be truth within me is rooted in ALL of what God has to say...in His word...written and Living...they are the same...the mind and the heart of God Himself...both the written and the Living Word of God are alive and God breathed and Holy Spirit inspired...infallible...everlasting...eternal...an d true. Like I said before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
With the help of the Holy Spirit and the mind and heart of Christ, I truly and most honestly believe, in the deepest depths of my most sincere inner faith and love in and for Christ, that I walk in the will of my Father...and He is pleased...His Word...written and living, lives within me.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Quote:
I've never doubted this for a single second, Verna . . . that is why it distresses me so when you refuse to do what I asked . . . choosing between the two types of love with all that sincerity and beauty of your soul as God has "written in your heart." Which do you honestly believe is the truest and deepest love? In love of Christ, Mystic.
I've answered.

ALMOST2L8's reply to your post above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
God would never provoke anyone to say this.......... that is the problem with your beliefs. Ignore it's about God, if you must. That is exactly how one comes to such a belief!! It is about what YOU want. This is how YOU want to be loved!! The bible warns of deception by flattery. There is nothing more flattering than this!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
...and I agree with him...and it isn't about what we want...it's about what God wants for us...and what He requires of us to receive all that He has in store for us...who live in obedient faith...just as Jesus did.

...and your answer back to him...

Quote:
No . . . you cannot remove yourself from the conditioned indoctrination that surrounds your approach to God and dogma. The generic answer about love would apply whether it was about God or not. What would you honestly consider the truest and deepest love possible of the two choices. You are merely distracting and dissembling to provide cover for Verna to avoid having to lie about what she considers the truest love of the two.
God Bless, Mystic
Mystic...you couldn't be more wrong.

You asked:

"Which kind of love would YOU truly most value . . . one that says . . . "Obey me OR ELSE I wont love you and you will suffer eternally" . . or one that says . . . "You are so very precious to me . . . I will always love you and want you to avoid the consequences of mistakes in your life by following me."

...and my most honest, heartfelt answer to you is:

The kind of love that I truly value the most is the kind love that stands up strong before me and tells me the straight-up-in-your-face, hardest-to-accept, honest, heart-pearcing, to-the-bone, painful truth. The kind of love that doesn't give room to confusion...the kind of love that leaves me with no questions...the kind of love that I know I can totally depend upon being the truth...that I can quietly and peacefully rest upon being assured that in this truth I am supported...and safe...protected...loved beyond loved......this kind of love sets me free from the world and it's darkness...darkness runs off my back like water runs off a duck's back...walking in THIS kind of love truly has set me free...I've never been more full of joy and peace in my heart and in my mind.....THIS is the kind of love that says to me..."Verna, you are so very precious to me...I will always love you and want you to avoid the consequences of making the wrong choices in your life by following me wholly and completely...and love me with all of your heart, mind, and strength by keeping the commandments that I have written upon your heart. I showed you my love by giving you the Best that I have...My Son...that you might believe in Him by obeying my commands and being the example of Who He is in you and who you are in Him...be set apart from the world, and live your life in my will and not your own...show Me how much you love Me Verna...show Me that you are willing to forsake your own lustful desires...your own will, for Me."

And I do.

Quote:
There is no way to reach what God has "written in our hearts" by superficially parroting dogma and precepts of men. We all know when we are being selfish and deceptive . . .and it always involves SOME kind of rationalization or flattery of our ego or preferred beliefs. What I am suggesting is the ONLY way to test what is true against what is "written in our hearts." We must reach deep down in our inner self with the help of the Holy Spirit and mind of Christ . . . to determine what we most honestly and truly believe . . .not what we are indoctrinated to believe to please God. You are protecting false doctrine in the mistaken belief that you are OBEYING God . . . when you are obeying the false teachers of the precepts and doctrines of men that you have been indoctrinated with. TEST it against your deepest and most sincere inner beliefs about love. That is all I ask . . . in love of Christ.
God bless.
I know the LOVE of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Mystic,

The law brings us to Christ --then we rest in him..... We all need the law first -- it seems to me that Verna still needs the written law to refer to. And that is ok for her.

I think all this has to do with the different places we are in our walk ----
I live with the Law of God engraved in gold upon my heart.

Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 05-26-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 PM

37,546 posts, read 25,261,889 times
Quote:
Dear Mystic,
First and foremost, I do not need to ignore that it is about God, to be completely truthful and honest in answering "which" kind of "love" I would value most...let's be perfectly clear about that...o.k..?...sincerely......quite the contrary...it IS THE love OF God that I value THE most.

You "label" my innermost sincerity and my deepest, heart felt honesty, "knee-jerk,"...or..."parroted-dogma,"...or..."conditioned indoctrination"...or..."generic answers"...and so many other's...but that's o.k....it's because you hold a very dark, spiritless, dead opinion of the God breathed, Holy Spirit inspired, written word of the living God...because you, yourself are able to take God out of the equation along with all He has to say in those beautiful written words filled with life...I cannot do that...I don't know how to do that...everything I hold to be truth within me is rooted in ALL of what God has to say...in His word...written and Living...they are the same...the mind and the heart of God Himself...both the written and the Living Word of God are alive and God breathed and Holy Spirit inspired...infallible...everlasting...eternal...an d true. Like I said before...

I've answered.

ALMOST2L8's reply to your post above:

...and I agree with him...and it isn't about what we want...it's about what God wants for us...and what He requires of us to receive all that He has in store for us...who live in obedient faith...just as Jesus did.

...and your answer back to him...

Mystic...you couldn't be more wrong.

You asked:

"Which kind of love would YOU truly most value . . . one that says . . . "Obey me OR ELSE I wont love you and you will suffer eternally" . . or one that says . . . "You are so very precious to me . . . I will always love you and want you to avoid the consequences of mistakes in your life by following me."

...and my most honest, heartfelt answer to you is:

The kind of love that I truly value the most is the kind love that stands up strong before me and tells me the straight-up-in-your-face, hardest-to-accept, honest, heart-pearcing, to-the-bone, painful truth. The kind of love that doesn't give room to confusion...the kind of love that leaves me with no questions...the kind of love that I know I can totally depend upon being the truth...that I can quietly and peacefully rest upon being assured that in this truth I am supported...and safe...protected...loved beyond loved......this kind of love sets me free from the world and it's darkness...darkness runs off my back like water runs off a duck's back...walking in THIS kind of love truly has set me free...I've never been more full of joy and peace in my heart and in my mind.....THIS is the kind of love that says to me..."Verna, you are so very precious to me...I will always love you and want you to avoid the consequences of making the wrong choices in your life by following me wholly and completely...and love me with all of your heart, mind, and strength by keeping the commandments that I have written upon your heart. I showed you my love by giving you the Best that I have...My Son...that you might believe in Him by obeying my commands and being the example of Who He is in you and who you are in Him...be set apart from the world, and live your life in my will and not your own...show Me how much you love Me Verna...show Me that you are willing to forsake your own lustful desires...your own will, for Me."

And I do.

I know the LOVE of God.

I live with the Law of God engraved in gold upon my heart.

Verna.
Thank you Verna . . . I have done my best to broaden your understanding of God and what His love truly is. Hopefully, the readers and lurkers will see the distinction you refuse to make and the strength of the indoctrination and conditioning that exists in the mainstream believer. In the final analysis . . . it makes no major difference . . . since we believe in the same God and Jesus (There IS only one after all . . . there are no others to believe in). If your preferred beliefs drive your love of God and strengthen your sense of personal security . . . all else is moot. God bless . . . as ever your brother in Christ, Mystic

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you Verna . . . I have done my best to broaden your understanding of God and what His love truly is. Hopefully, the readers and lurkers will see the distinction you refuse to make and the strength of the indoctrination and conditioning that exists in the mainstream believer. In the final analysis . . . it makes no major difference . . . since we believe in the same God and Jesus (There IS only one after all . . . there are no others to believe in). If your preferred beliefs drive your love of God and strengthen your sense of personal security . . . all else is moot. God bless . . . as ever your brother in Christ, Mystic
No, now Mystic, I'm cannot let you get away with that...again...Not that other's, "...will see the distinction that I REFUSE to make..."...I have most definately made a clear and concise distinction between the kind of love that most of the world wants God to have...and the kind of Love this IS...OF God. We may believe in the same God and Jesus...but what would separate you and I...what would keep you and I from being a "brother" and "sister" in Christ is if one of us would not be living in the will of our Father in heaven...if that one didn't live by the commandments of God...whether they be written upon a scroll...or written upon our hearts. Who IS my brother or my sister or my neighbor...?...or who IS that stranger that comes to live amongst us...? They are those who DO the will of our Father in heaven...only.

I love you Mystic...and I do include you in many of my prayers...in all sincerity.

Verna.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,112,209 times
Hi Verna,

What do you mean by "the love that the world wants God to have?"

Blessings to you,
brian

Last edited by ahigherway; 05-27-2010 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Verna,

What do you mean by "the love that the world wants God to have?"

Blessings to you,
brian
Hello ahigherway.

Let me preface by stating that I use the term "world" in this instance, to describe those who do not believe and obey the written word of the Living God...otherwise known as Scripture...so, for one to even begin to know what God's word says and means...naturally, they have to first spend time seeking His heart through these Scriptures...and believe in them and in Whom is speaking. It is these who do not believe what is written, who yet attempt to use them anyway! to try to twist and spin it into what is comfortable to them, these who claim to love and know God, and who claim that God knows and loves them...who are unable to read and comprehend the truth...blind to what God is revealing through them (the Scriptures).

The kind of love that the world wants God to have is contrary to the kind of love that is the love of God. They (the world/disobedient unbeliever's) come up with whatever sounds good to them...and this is because of their fear of not receiving salvation...because they know they live in sin...and they are without the power of the Holy Spirit...why are they without the power of the Holy Spirit?...because to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit...one must first be born again...and that requires much more than head knowledge...or spoken words...it's an issue about...what state is it that your heart is in?

O.K....so...now I will give a very small but precious morsel of the Word of God that clearly explains what the love of God IS...and you will know who falls into the catagory of the "world," and who does not by who agrees with what it says and who does not...

I am the LORD thy God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water beneath the earth.

Thou shalt not bow down thy self unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.

And showing mercy unto thousands , of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh His Name in vain.

Keep the Sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work.

But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter...

And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence, through a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm: Therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the Sabbath day.

Honor thy father and thy mother, as the LORD hath commanded thee, that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbor's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbor's house, his field, or his servants, or anything that is thy neighbor's...

...O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children forever...

...the end of the Law is obedience.
Deuteronomy 5.

And this is how I know who IS my brother or sister or neighbor or who is the stranger amongst us...it IS those who DO the will of my Father in heaven...any one else is the "world."

I pray you will be found in His truth.

Verna.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,392,881 times
Quote:
Hello ahigherway.

Let me preface by stating that I use the term "world" in this instance, to describe those who do not believe and obey the written word of the Living God...otherwise known as Scripture...so, for one to even begin to know what God's word says and means...naturally, they have to first spend time seeking His heart through these Scriptures...and believe in them and in Whom is speaking. It is these who do not believe what is written, who yet attempt to use them anyway! to try to twist and spin it into what is comfortable to them, these who claim to love and know God, and who claim that God knows and loves them...who are unable to read and comprehend the truth...blind to what God is revealing through them (the Scriptures).

The kind of love that the world wants God to have is contrary to the kind of love that is the love of God. They (the world/disobedient unbeliever's) come up with whatever sounds good to them...and this is because of their fear of not receiving salvation...because they know they live in sin...and they are without the power of the Holy Spirit...why are they without the power of the Holy Spirit?...because to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit...one must first be born again...and that requires much more than head knowledge...or spoken words...it's an issue about...what state is it that your heart is in?

O.K....so...now I will give a very small but precious morsel of the Word of God that clearly explains what the love of God IS...and you will know who falls into the catagory of the "world," and who does not by who agrees with what it says and who does not...

I am the LORD thy God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water beneath the earth.

Thou shalt not bow down thy self unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.

And showing mercy unto thousands , of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh His Name in vain.

But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter...

And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence, through a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm: Therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the Sabbath day.

Honor thy father and thy mother, as the LORD hath commanded thee, that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not steal.

Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbor's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbor's house, his field, or his servants, or anything that is thy neighbor's...

...O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children forever...

Deuteronomy 5.

And this is how I know who IS my brother or sister or neighbor or who is the stranger amongst us...it IS those who DO the will of my Father in heaven...any one else is the "world."

Verna.
I often wonder why the thread "God is Love" is worthy of debate...

Especially when one signs with "In Christ's love"

So Verna... Did Christ keep the Sabbath when he healed the ailing woman?

Pharisee: He worked on the Sabbath... Guilty!
Jesus: You can water your dog but not help an ailing woman on the Sabbath?

Two questions for you.

1. Did Christ keep the Sabbath?
2. What is Christ's love? Does he also have conditional love?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,392,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I often wonder why the thread "God is Love" is worthy of debate...

Especially when one signs with "In Christ's love"

So Verna... Did Christ keep the Sabbath when he healed the ailing woman?

Pharisee: He worked on the Sabbath... Guilty!
Jesus: You can water your dog but not help an ailing woman on the Sabbath?

Two questions for you.

2. What is Christ's love? Does he also have conditional love?
This also brings to mind that when told his brothers and mother wished to speak with him he stated that others were his mother and brothers... did Christ fail to Honor his mother?

When Christ was angry in the temple he actually overturned tables. If a guy did that today we would consider that true anger and thus a violation of Christ's own warning that to be angry at another you are guilty of murder in your heart.

Was Christ guilty of murder in his heart?

If Christ did not do all these things and violate God's law, then perhaps he did not interpret Deut. as you do?

Christ was much better at keeping the law than the rest of us. So if we go by his example then your rules about obeying the commandments are too strict. He loved people that were sinners.

He sat with them and talked with them.. and saved them.

So why do you care so much about the law when Jesus seemed to think that to love was greater than sacrifice. And to love your fellow man is the only way to keep the commandments.

See, Verna, you can follow the commandments because you think you must in order to receive a reward, or you can follow the commandments because that is what happens when you love people... you automatically follow the commandments. It seems to me that you follow the commandments because you want a reward.. not because you truly love others.

Because if you don't consider a neighbor/stranger/brother as anyone outside of your christian network... then you really can treat them with love, can you? What kind of love is it that says.. you are not a believer so I cannot be your neighbor.. therefore I don't have to help you in your time of need.

But Jesus said to love your neighbor... to take in strangers.

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep."

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked."

Jesus didn't believe as you do....

Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj
2.What is Christ's love? Does he also have conditional love?
He has already given everything He has...he gave His life... Amazing love!...what more do you need from Him?

Verna.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,112,209 times
Quote:
Hello ahigherway.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not steal.

Deuteronomy 5.

Verna.
Hi Verna,
Thanks for responding.
Lately, I've had something on my mind, which is this:
We read a lot of things in the OT which are very hard and rigid in terms of Law requirements. We also see a lot of bloodshed. David was not allowed to build a temple unto the Lord because He had shed blood. Solomon his son was the one allowed to build.
It would seem that God was willing to give the people their hearts' desire (war, divorce, commandments, etc), but that was not God's final plan for them. Only because of the hardness of their hearts would God allow this, but God saves the BEST for LAST. Jesus came, yes, to fulfil the Law. But He fulfilled the HIGHEST law which the Jews couldn't understand because of the blindness of their hearts: Love.

Today I am happy to say that I am learning (again) to love sinners, not judge them.
That doesn't mean I'm "compromising my walk" or "backsliding." It means that I accept them, just as Jesus did.

Ever wondered why the people flocked to see Jesus when He came to town, but the only people who flock to see evangelists are the religious?

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Verna,
Thanks for responding.
Lately, I've had something on my mind, which is this:
We read a lot of things in the OT which are very hard and rigid in terms of Law requirements. We also see a lot of bloodshed. David was not allowed to build a temple unto the Lord because He had shed blood. Solomon his son was the one allowed to build.
It would seem that God was willing to give the people their hearts' desire (war, divorce, commandments, etc), but that was not God's final plan for them. Only because of the hardness of their hearts would God allow this, but God saves the BEST for LAST. Jesus came, yes, to fulfil the Law. But He fulfilled the HIGHEST law which the Jews couldn't understand because of the blindness of their hearts: Love.

Today I am happy to say that I am learning (again) to love sinners, not judge them.
That doesn't mean I'm "compromising my walk" or "backsliding." It means that I accept them, just as Jesus did.

Ever wondered why the people flocked to see Jesus when He came to town, but the only people who flock to see evangelists are the religious?

Blessings,
brian
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here ahigherway...maybe doing a little dance around the subject of the matter...either you live in sin or you don't...it's yes you do or no you don't...simple enough...either you are born again, changed into the character of Christ and living your life keeping the commandments of God or you aren't...the former being a child of God...and the latter being a child of the devil.

God does not abide in....nor does He know...nor does He love, a worker of iniquty...a sinner...and turn that around...he who's soul is wicked...a worker of iniquity...a sinner...abide's not in God...nor does he know God...nor does he love Him.

Let your yea be yea...and your ney be ney...He will puke out anyone who is lukewarm...whoever's a little in and a little out....having one foot in and one foot out...it ain't gonna fly.

He said, "If you love Me...keep my commandments."..."He who says they know Me or love Me and keepeth not My Commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them."

"....and what IS the love of God?...He who keepeth My commandments."

Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or