U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM

5,762 posts, read 4,610,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone!
I was reflecting on 1 Cor. 13 again tonight. Let's look at another translation:

v. 5- It isnít rude. It doesnít think about itself. It isnít irritable. It doesnít keep track of wrongs.
v. 7- Love never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up.

Now if God is love:

v. 5- God isn't rude. He doesn't think about Himself. He isn't irritable. He doesn't keep track of wrongs. (!)
v. 7- God never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up.

Praise God! He never gives up! And He doesn't keep track of our wrongs, folks. This is a lesson for ALL of us to learn, that we must forgive and forget the wrongs we have committed towards others. If God is covering our sins everyday, shouldn't we do the same with one another?

Blessings,
brian

Brian...

Your posts continue to be a

shining light

in a

sea of darkness.

peace,
sparrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,394,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Brian...

Your posts continue to be a

shining light

in a

sea of darkness.

peace,
sparrow
And I need that light so badly.......

Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,132,144 times
Hi Verna!
Nice to hear from you.. it's been a while!

Anyways,
personally, I look at things this way:
"For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26.

I know that He took away PAST sins. But if you can hear it, I think there is an even better message, which is this: "Behold, the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world." Notice that the word is "sin", not "sins." I believe God was looking at the whole sin condition as singular, and it is that singular condition that was taken away at Calvary.

Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound. All men were put into Adam and condemnation in order for God to put all men in Christ and Life.
Our message to people is, Let Christ arise IN YOU!

Blessings to you!
brian

Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 AM

365 posts, read 426,162 times
Define "love".

Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Define "love".
Hi PurpleHeart,
Well, i suppose love can be defined very well by starting in 1 Cor. 13. It is something you feel inside you, and always has the good of others in mind. It is not selfish, it has little or nothing to do with sex IMO, and a lot to do with the fruits of the Spirit. It is optimistic, calm, hopeful, joyful, supportive, not destructive, not bitter, not angry or wrathful.
As I mentioned in this thread, love also never gives up. It covers and forgets the hurts caused it by others, and is always willing to make peace and try to get along.

When we debate on these forums, there is a serious risk of hurting other people, especially if negative things are said regarding the person. I believe the idea of eternal hell is hurtful to other people, and since God is love, I cannot believe that God intends to hurt people "eternally." Maybe there is a period of teaching, disciple, or punishment, if that is considered necessary, but the decision for such things is left to the Lord God, not to us, His creatures.
So we can discuss doctrines and beliefs, and even how those beliefs can affect ourselves and other people. However, we must be careful not to hurt other people.
Personally, I have seen in my own life, that when I used to believe that unbelievers were going to hell, I became quite condemning with those people in my heart. Today, I don't believe that is a fruit of the Spirit.
The Lord is truly merciful!

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 AM

Default Getting better and better!

Folks, the Word is Good!

How well our brothers and sisters help us to see things even higher!!

I'm reading this even better than before:

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Now I used to think that Jesus was telling us to forgive mens' trespasses against us as believers.

But no!

Jesus is telling us that we must forgive all men's sins, whatever they may be. Otherwise, our Heavenly Father will not forgive us ours.

Are we forgiving all men their trespasses, or are we condemning them to hell?

Praise God!

Blessings to everyone,
brian

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 AM

In other words, if God requires us to forgive men their trespasses (and if we don't we will be held accountable), then would He not do the very same?
Why would He want us to forgive, if He doesn't?

resentment (n.) : a feeling of indignant displeasure or persistent ill will at something regarded as a wrong, insult or injury. (Webster's)

If God doesn't forgive men their trespasses (and I believe that He has done so completely and across the board), then He is resentful.

But we know that love is not resentful.

Blessings!
brian

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,702,510 times
God is Love and all he is and does is love.

Someone asked what is Love.

Does love correct? Does love hold one accountable for what they do? Does love comfort? Does love teach? Does love challenge? Does love encourage?

Does love demean? Does love discourage?
Does love offer a place and time where no hope will exist?

What other questions can be asked?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
God is Love and all he is and does is love.

Someone asked what is Love.

Does love correct? Does love hold one accountable for what they do? Does love comfort? Does love teach? Does love challenge? Does love encourage?

Does love demean? Does love discourage?
Does love offer a place and time where no hope will exist?

What other questions can be asked?

Does love hold your sins against you?

blessings,
brian

Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM

30,410 posts, read 20,110,134 times
How about a few of you fundy's defining what love means to you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or