U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,481,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
You first.

Alrighty, then!

It's pretty simple. Here goes: EVERYBODY is my neighbor!!

Maybe the folks who wrote the paragraph below can explain it better.

We do not have to agree with other people's beliefs and opinions or condone their actions, but Jesus calls us to overcome our prejudices and show our kindness to all people of the world and consider them our "neighbors."

From:The Greatest Commandment and the Parable of the Good Samaritan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 PM

4,146 posts, read 633,350 times
Luk 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
Luk 10:30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
Luk 10:31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Luk 10:34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Verna,

I too am interested in who you think your neighbour is.

Reading this parable it seems to me that a neighbour is any person who you come across, if they need your help, you are to help them. Show mercy.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,403,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Alrighty, then!

It's pretty simple. Here goes: EVERYBODY is my neighbor!!

Maybe the folks who wrote the paragraph below can explain it better.

We do not have to agree with other people's beliefs and opinions or condone their actions, but Jesus calls us to overcome our prejudices and show our kindness to all people of the world and consider them our "neighbors."

From:The Greatest Commandment and the Parable of the Good Samaritan
No...I want you to find scripture, as, in the Bible...where Jesus basically says that everyone is our neighbor.

You do read the Bible don't you?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
No...I want you to find scripture, as, in the Bible...where Jesus basically says that everyone is our neighbor.

Verna

IMO you are just being argumentative

The parable is scripture that says whether someone is of your religion or ethnicity if you see them in need you are to help them.

It fits in with Jesus saying love your enemies, love your neighbour, and love your brother. Nobody is excluded from love.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,403,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Verna

IMO you are just being argumentative

The parable is scripture that says whether someone is of your religion or ethnicity if you see them in need you are to help them.

It fits in with Jesus saying love your enemies, love your neighbour, and love your brother. Nobody is excluded from love.
I am not being argumentative meerkat. I simply want herefornow to find the scripture that says everyone on the planet is our neighbor...maybe you would like to help her...?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I am not being argumentative meerkat. I simply want herefornow to find the scripture that says everyone on the planet is our neighbor...maybe you would like to help her...?

I have given my opinion in a previous post
Previously you ask for a scripture that says God is love and when you were shown the scripture that says GOD IS LOVE you then try and type your way out of admitting it is in scripture and try to interpret it away.

You can not say oh ..... that scripture, yes it does say God is love. You seem to carry on wanting to be right. This is why I think that you are being argumentative because the parables which Jesus spoke are supposed to be understood using your spiritual eyes/ears ....... and you keep coming back saying, but who is my neighbour? Surely it is not everybody.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Yep, I surely do read the Bible. Ever since I was 5 years old. And not only in archaic English. I'm taking a whack at it in Hebrew, also.

I think I'll bow out of this conversation. Thanks for talking with me, Verna.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 PM

723 posts, read 882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Luk 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
Luk 10:30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
Luk 10:31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Luk 10:34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Verna,

I too am interested in who you think your neighbour is.

Reading this parable it seems to me that a neighbour is any person who you come across, if they need your help, you are to help them. Show mercy.

I know that this question was not directed toward me, but if I may;

If three passed by and only one helped the man in need of the help, then HE the one that helped is the one who showed the love of Christ, so he is the nieghbor, and the other two are not!!! That excludes that EVERYONE is our neighbor, as Jesus did not say that all three were our neighbor, but asked which ONE was the neighbor. He did not say that the man in need was the neighbor, but the one who showed love to the man in need!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-22-2010, 10:29 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,744,219 times
My God is love. Some people apparently worship another god that is not love.

Heartsong

Old 05-22-2010, 10:37 PM

(Not directed at anybody in particular)

NOW I understand Jesus' rant at the Pharisees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or