U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 PM

723 posts, read 858,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
(Not directed at anybody in particular)

NOW I understand Jesus' rant at the Pharisees.

I don't see how, when even the Pharisees were our neighbor!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I know that this question was not directed toward me, but if I may;

If three passed by and only one helped the man in need of the help, then HE the one that helped is the one who showed the love of Christ, so he is the nieghbor, and the other two are not!!! That excludes that EVERYONE is our neighbor, as Jesus did not say that all three were our neighbor, but asked which ONE was the neighbor. He did not say that the man in need was the neighbor, but the one who showed love to the man in need!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Dale how I see it is that we are to see everyone as our fellows/neighbours, The one who helped was a neighbour i.e friendly to the one he helped, the others had no compassion and were not neighbourly or friendly to the person in need -- being neighbours is a 2 way thing.

For us to love our neighbour as ourselves we need to see that everyone is our neighbour and if in need we help showing love.

God says love your neighbour as your self - What you seem to be saying is a definition of a neighbour according to the parable is someone who has helped us? how does that relate to us loving our neighbour as ourselves and defining who is our neighbour, which is what was asked at the beginning of the parable?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 PM

382 posts, read 596,025 times
Not only is God love, God is perfect. So, there is no comparison between the perfect love and will of God and that of human beings. We must attempt to meet His standard of love, despite it all, although we're not perfect. Corinthians is giving is the standard of excellence in love to which we should all live. There are a lot of people that are apprehensive about that "love section" of scripture because when they assess and compare their relationships and/or marriages against/to God's description of true love, the traits/characteristics are not met.

As for me, I'd rather have "true/Godly love" in my life, or no "love" at all!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I have given my opinion in a previous post
Previously you ask for a scripture that says God is love and when you were shown the scripture that says GOD IS LOVE you then try and type your way out of admitting it is in scripture and try to interpret it away.

You can not say oh ..... that scripture, yes it does say God is love. You seem to carry on wanting to be right. This is why I think that you are being argumentative because the parables which Jesus spoke are supposed to be understood using your spiritual eyes/ears ....... and you keep coming back saying, but who is my neighbour? Surely it is not everybody.
The OP suggested that ALL God IS IS love, and I do not agree with that assumption.

God IS love means God's essence IS love...not that He is "loving"...this would mean that He has no other attributes other than being loving...which is wrong. We MUST know ALL His other attributes that together...equally...make up ALL of WHO He IS. When we take love as God's essence, the argument is sound: This man doth not love, and therefore knows not love: God is essentially love, therefore he knows not God.

If you don't know God, you don't know love...and you don't know God if you do not love Him. How do you love God? You keep His commandments. If you don't keep His commandments, you do not love Him nor do you know Him. If you say you love Him and keepeth not His commandments, you are a liar and the truth is not in you.

Have either of you found that scripture yet? A hint...there IS a difference between brother...neighbor...stranger...enemy. Everyone is NOT our neighbor.
Let me know when you give up trying to find it...if you're even attempting to look for it...which I doubt.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Actually the parable is talking about two people who WERE the helpless guy's neighbors.. fellow Jews. Yet the Samaritan was considered an outsider and thus not a neighbor. So out of the three of them the one that the poor helpless guy WOULD NOT HAVE before considered as a neighbor Jesus shows that the outsider is indeed your neighbor too...

Everyone is our neighbor, not just those living in our paradigm, religion, race... that is the moral of the story.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,379,434 times
Quote:

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
I believe some of Jesus' last words were, "Father, forgive them."

Old 05-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually the parable is talking about two people who WERE the helpless guy's neighbors.. fellow Jews. Yet the Samaritan was considered an outsider and thus not a neighbor. So out of the three of them the one that the poor helpless guy WOULD NOT HAVE before considered as a neighbor Jesus shows that the outsider is indeed your neighbor too...

Everyone is our neighbor, not just those living in our paradigm, religion, race... that is the moral of the story.
Thank you Kat, that is how I see it too --

Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
Verna, Help me to understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that there are people who are NOT your neighbor?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM

Verna

Who is your neighbour?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Yep, I surely do read the Bible. Ever since I was 5 years old. And not only in archaic English. I'm taking a whack at it in Hebrew, also.

I think I'll bow out of this conversation. Thanks for talking with me, Verna.
O.k....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or