U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,418,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
The OP suggested that ALL God IS IS love, and I do not agree with that assumption.
Actually the assertion was simply that God is Love.

Quote:
God IS love means God's essence IS love...not that He is "loving"...this would mean that He has no other attributes other than being loving...which is wrong.
Out of all of the types of beings to be God.. wouldn't one completely motivated by Love be ideal? Think seriously about it... If a being is completely made of and motivated by love then there is nothing they can't do. The bible says that God is Love. Does that mean that he has no other attributes other than being loving? or does that mean that all of his attributes stem from LOVE!

Quote:
We MUST know ALL His other attributes that together...equally...make up ALL of WHO He IS. When we take love as God's essence, the argument is sound: This man doth not love, and therefore knows not love: God is essentially love, therefore he knows not God.
HUH? What are you saying here? Essentially love?

Quote:
If you don't know God, you don't know love...and you don't know God if you do not love Him. How do you love God? You keep His commandments. If you don't keep His commandments, you do not love Him nor do you know Him. If you say you love Him and keepeth not His commandments, you are a liar and the truth is not in you.
Ahhhh... just like a rubber band you spring to obeying the commandments! It is always about the commandments... LOL I find that tells more about your issues than it is the truth as stated in scripture or rather as INTENDED by scripture!

Quote:
Have either of you found that scripture yet? A hint...there IS a difference between brother...neighbor...stranger...enemy. Everyone is NOT our neighbor.
Quote:
Let me know when you give up trying to find it...if you're even attempting to look for it...which I doubt.
See my previous post. Jesus points out that the one that we thought was not our neighbor (the Samaritan) is our neighbor. Therefore, all people even those we don't agree with (the Samaritan) or like (enemy), or have never met (I was a stranger and you took me in as Jesus said).

BTW - I don't know if you are irritated or if are trying to be rude... but your last sentence was uncalled for IMO

Last edited by katjonjj; 05-23-2010 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 AM

723 posts, read 860,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Dale how I see it is that we are to see everyone as our fellows/neighbours, The one who helped was a neighbour i.e friendly to the one he helped, the others had no compassion and were not neighbourly or friendly to the person in need
How can one who is not friendly or neighborly, be a friend or a neighbor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat
For us to love our neighbour as ourselves we need to see that everyone is our neighbour and if in need we help showing love.
I understand what you are trying to say, but the parable does not say that the neighbor is the one who helped the man in need as well as helped the other two men without compassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat
What you seem to be saying is a definition of a neighbour according to the parable is someone who has helped us? how does that relate to us loving our neighbour as ourselves and defining who is our neighbour, which is what was asked at the beginning of the parable?
The problem lies with the beliefs of who is and is not saved meerkat, Jesus is speaking to a man who is wanting to be "saved" or "in Christ", and he is telling this man that the one who was kind and helped the man in need was the neighbor (also in Christ). Jesus then finished the parable by telling him to do likewise and help the needy. Making the two neighbors (in christ)!!! Your belief is that everyone is saved, and that would mean we are all in Christ, and hence all neighbors!!

Like I said the differences lie in the beliefs!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,392,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Not only is God love, God is perfect. So, there is no comparison between the perfect love and will of God and that of human beings. We must attempt to meet His standard of love, despite it all, although we're not perfect. Corinthians is giving is the standard of excellence in love to which we should all live. There are a lot of people that are apprehensive about that "love section" of scripture because when they assess and compare their relationships and/or marriages against/to God's description of true love, the traits/characteristics are not met.

As for me, I'd rather have "true/Godly love" in my life, or no "love" at all!
Yes! Meeting God's standard of love! I think that is actually a VERY hard thing to do. I'm having a hard time with it as we speak.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
(Not directed at anybody in particular)

NOW I understand Jesus' rant at the Pharisees.

Rant???? The God of only love???

NO WAY!!!!

DALE

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM

3,587 posts, read 466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
How can one who is not friendly or neighborly, be a friend or a neighbor??

I understand what you are trying to say, but the parable does not say that the neighbor is the one who helped the man in need as well as helped the other two men without compassion.

The problem lies with the beliefs of who is and is not saved meerkat, Jesus is speaking to a man who is wanting to be "saved" or "in Christ", and he is telling this man that the one who was kind and helped the man in need was the neighbor (also in Christ). Jesus then finished the parable by telling him to do likewise and help the needy. Making the two neighbors (in christ)!!! Your belief is that everyone is saved, and that would mean we are all in Christ, and hence all neighbors!!

Like I said the differences lie in the beliefs!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Dale - those who are "in Christ" are spoken of as brothers/sisters not neighbours.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:37 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,392,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Rant???? The God of only love???

NO WAY!!!!

DALE

Did you see my next post, Almost2L8?

What were Jesus' last words? "Father, FORGIVE THEM!"

Sometimes Jesus had to get a little rough with the religious. Did He forgive them?

Well? Is God love? Even when He is ANGRY?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM

3,587 posts, read 466,881 times
Dale,

Who is your neighbour?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 AM

37,666 posts, read 25,381,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I understand what God's love IS all about...and I've been trying with all of my heart to get you all to understand it as well...

Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; And hear, O earth, the words of My mouth.
My doctrine shall drop as the rain: My speech shall distill as the dew, as the small rain uopn the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass.
Because I will publish the Name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
He IS the Rock, His work is perfect: for ALL HIS WAYS ARE JUDGEMENT: A God of TRUTH, and WITHOUT INIQUITY, JUST and RIGHT IS He.
THEY [disobedient unbeliever's/the wicked] have corrupted themsleves, THEIR spot is not the spot of His children: THEY are a perverse and crooked generation...

...THEY provoked Him to JEALOUSY with strange gods, with abominations provoked THEY Him to ANGER.
THEY sacrificed unto devils, not to God: to gods whom they knew not, to new gods, that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindfull, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
And when the LORD saw it, He ABHORRED THEM, because of the provocing of His sons [repentant/born-again/obedient believer's], and of His daughters [repentant/born-again/obedient believer's].
And He said, "I will hide My face from THEM [disobedient unbeliever's], I will see what their end shall be: for THEY are a froward generation, children [saved possibly, but not truly repentant/born-again into the character of Christ] in whom is no faith [obedient faith = still living in sin]...

...For THEY are a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in THEM.
O that THEY were wise, that THEY understood this, that THEY would consider the latter end...

...To Me belongeth VENGEANCE, and RECOMPENSE [just-rewards], THEIR foot shall slide in due time: for THE DAY OF THEIR CALAMITY IS AT HAND, AND THE THINGS THAT SHALL COME UPON THEM, MAKE HASTE...

...See now, that I, even I AM He, and there is no god with Me; I KILL, I MAKE ALIVE: I WOUND, AND I HEAL: NEITHER IS THERE ANY THAT CAN DELIVER OUT OF MY HAND,...

...IF I WET MY GLITTERING SWORD, AND MINE HAND TAKE HOLD ON JUDGEMENT, I WILL RENDER VENGEANCE TO MINE ENEMIES, AND I WILL REWARD THEM THAT HATE ME.

I WILL MAKE MINE ARROWS DRUNK WITH BLOOD, (AND MY SWORD SHALL DEVOUR FLESH) AND THAT WITH THE BLOOD OF THE SLAIN, AND OF THE CAPTIVES, FROM THE BEGINNING OF REVENGES UPON THE ENEMIE...

...AND HE SAID UNTO THEM, SET YOUR HEARTS UNTO ALL THE WORDS WHICH I TESTIFY AMONG YOU THIS DAY, WHICH YE SHALL COMMAND YOUR CHILDREN TO OBSERVE TO DO ALL THE "WORDS" (TEN COMMANDMENTS) OF THIS LAW.

FOR IT IS NOT A VAIN THING FOR YOU: BECAUSE IT IS YOUR LIFE, AND THROUGH THIS THING YE SHALL PROLONG YOUR DAYS IN THE LAND WHITHER YE GO OVER THE JORDAN TO POSSESS IT [THE PROMISED LAND...HEAVEN].
Deuteronomy 32.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
There is NO Christ's love in any of that primitive horse dung! It is the product of the veil of ignorance that covers the OT. You are following the stagnant beliefs of primitive savages . . . NOT the living Word of God Jesus Christ!!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:57 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,254,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is NO Christ's love in any of that primitive horse dung! It is the product of the veil of ignorance that covers the OT. You are following the stagnant beliefs of primitive savages . . . NOT the living Word of God Jesus Christ!!
Mystic! Go to bed!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Dale,

Who is your neighbour?
I live in a big apartment building, so I have many!!

Although, I do not know their names!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or