U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Verna, Help me to understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that there are people who are NOT your neighbor?
Thank you sparrow...for asking so respectfully...it causes me to want to to answer you.

Yes...that is what I am saying.

Neighbor and brother are synonymous terms that mean "fellow believers." My neighbor is my brother or sister in Christ (a believer) and no one else. Neighbor and brother mean, Christian.

Jesus quoted from Leviticus 19:18 when He said "love thy neighbor as thyself."

16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among THY PEOPLE: neither shall thou stand against the blood of THY NEIGHBOR. I am the Lord.

17 Thou shalt not hate THY BROTHER in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke THY NEIGHBOR, and not suffer sin upon him.

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the CHILDREN OF THY PEOPLE, but thou shalt love THY NEIGHBOR as thyself.

Neighbor, brother and thy people are used as synonyms. Jesus was commanding us to not bear any grudge against fellow Israelites but to love them "as thyself."...and this command applies only to the people of God...those who obey the laws of God.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
[quote=ALMOST2L8;14296985]How can one who is not friendly or neighborly, be a friend or a neighbor??[/quote]...ummmm...my sweet BROTHER! in Christ...that would be spelled...neighb-o-u-rly...and...neighbo-ur......love you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 858,501 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Thank you sparrow...for asking so respectfully...it causes me to want to to answer you.

Yes...that is what I am saying.

Neighbor and brother are synonymous terms that mean "fellow believers." My neighbor is my brother or sister in Christ (a believer) and no one else. Neighbor and brother mean, Christian.

Jesus quoted from Leviticus 19:18 when He said "love thy neighbor as thyself."

16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among THY PEOPLE: neither shall thou stand against the blood of THY NEIGHBOR. I am the Lord.

17 Thou shalt not hate THY BROTHER in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke THY NEIGHBOR, and not suffer sin upon him.

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the CHILDREN OF THY PEOPLE, but thou shalt love THY NEIGHBOR as thyself.

Neighbor, brother and thy people are used as synonyms. Jesus was commanding us to not bear any grudge against fellow Israelites but to love them "as thyself."...and this command applies only to the people of God...those who obey the laws of God.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
AMEN VERNA, AMEN!!


GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Verna

Who is your neighbour?
Those who do the will of my Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 858,501 times
Reputation: 134
[quote=Verna Perry;14297220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
How can one who is not friendly or neighborly, be a friend or a neighbor??[/quote]...ummmm...my sweet BROTHER! in Christ...that would be spelled...neighb-o-u-rly...and...neighbo-ur......love you!
Tediousness.

I LIKE IT!!!


LOVE YOU TOO!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,380,989 times
Reputation: 437
[quote=ALMOST2L8;14297243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

Tediousness.

I LIKE IT!!!


LOVE YOU TOO!!!
DALE

Could you answer the last post I sent you, Almost2L8?

(Sorry, Verna. It says you were the one quoting Almost2L8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,387,998 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Thank you sparrow...for asking so respectfully...it causes me to want to to answer you.

Yes...that is what I am saying.

Neighbor and brother are synonymous terms that mean "fellow believers." My neighbor is my brother or sister in Christ (a believer) and no one else. Neighbor and brother mean, Christian.

Jesus quoted from Leviticus 19:18 when He said "love thy neighbor as thyself."

16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among THY PEOPLE: neither shall thou stand against the blood of THY NEIGHBOR. I am the Lord.

17 Thou shalt not hate THY BROTHER in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke THY NEIGHBOR, and not suffer sin upon him.

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the CHILDREN OF THY PEOPLE, but thou shalt love THY NEIGHBOR as thyself.

Neighbor, brother and thy people are used as synonyms. Jesus was commanding us to not bear any grudge against fellow Israelites but to love them "as thyself."...and this command applies only to the people of God...those who obey the laws of God.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
I think this whole thing can be cleared up by:

Matt 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

I think it implies that we should treat even STRANGERS as our neighbor. You are not justified in withholding LOVE (GOD) from anyone. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,380,989 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I think this whole thing can be cleared up by:

Matt 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

I think it implies that we should treat even STRANGERS as our neighbor. You are not justified in withholding LOVE (GOD) from anyone. IMO



Not just in your opinion, katjonjj. I'm pretty sure that is God's opinion, too. You might as well make that my opinion , also, while we are at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I think this whole thing can be cleared up by:

Matt 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

I think it implies that we should treat even STRANGERS as our neighbor. You are not justified in withholding LOVE (GOD) from anyone. IMO
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,109,662 times
Reputation: 866
Are we all neighbors?
Personally, I believe so.
"Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another." Eph. 4:25.

The lawyer repeated the passage that he apparently knew by heart: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."

Jesus gave him a hint about what the Kingdom of God is all about: "And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live"


Unfortunately, the lawyer (it could've perhaps been anybody at this point) wants to JUSTIFY himself, or try to make himself look right before God: "But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?"




Do we also try to "justify" ourselves before God regarding who we think our neighbor should/shouldn't be? Does it bother us that the beggar on the street could actually be our neighbor, a member of us?


Blessings to all,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top