U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,246,564 times
Reputation: 837

Advertisements

[quote=Verna Perry;14297220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
How can one who is not friendly or neighborly, be a friend or a neighbor??[/quote]...ummmm...my sweet BROTHER! in Christ...that would be spelled...neighb-o-u-rly...and...neighbo-ur......love you!
I woke up this morning and read through the thread...and I realize I made fun of my brother's spelling, when in fact, he was correct and I was wrong...I'm sorry Dale...it WAS fun though...I was tired...I always have trouble with words like rec-ei-ve instead of rec-ie-ve...or...prove instead of proove...or...lose instead of loose...now I have another one to add to my list.....neighb-o-r!...You are my brother, and I love you...and it is fun teasing you...even if I AM wrong......sisters can be wrong and right at the same time......he-he-he...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 859,763 times
Reputation: 134
[quote=Verna Perry;14298519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I woke up this morning and read through the thread...and I realize I made fun of my brother's spelling, when in fact, he was correct and I was wrong...I'm sorry Dale...it WAS fun though...I was tired...I always have trouble with words like rec-ei-ve instead of rec-ie-ve...or...prove instead of proove...or...lose instead of loose...now I have another one to add to my list.....neighb-o-r!...You are my brother, and I love you...and it is fun teasing you...even if I AM wrong......sisters can be wrong and right at the same time......he-he-he...
After I replied yesterday, I looked in my dictionary, and yep, I was correct!! But I knew you would figure it out!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
 
5,743 posts, read 4,595,638 times
Reputation: 4164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Those who do the will of my Father.

You were asked "Who is your neighbor" the above is your reply.
If Jesus command was to love our neighbor as ourself, are you limiting your love to only those you feel are doing the will of God? Or is that not what you meant? I'm trying to understand your view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,246,564 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You were asked "Who is your neighbor" the above is your reply.
If Jesus command was to love our neighbor as ourself, are you limiting your love to only those you feel are doing the will of God? Or is that not what you meant? I'm trying to understand your view.
Hello sparrow.

We are only required to love our brother's, sister's, neighbors and strangers as we would love ourselves....as we are all living together in the will of our father.

We are commanded to love our enemies...and we love our enemies by showing them the fruits of our spirit...love, joy, peace, meekness, gentleness, longsuffering, forgiveness...but we are not commanded to love our enemies as we would love ourselves, or as we would love our brothers, sisters, neighbor's or strangers that live among us. That is the difference...it is written.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,246,564 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Are we all neighbors?
Personally, I believe so.
"Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another." Eph. 4:25.
...an enemy/wicked,unbeliever is not a member, one with another with a believer...a brother, sister, neighbor, and stranger, which are called such because they are believer's...All members of one Christian household.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway
Do we also try to "justify" ourselves before God regarding who we think our neighbor should/shouldn't be?
We know by their fruits...how they live...how they speak...their attitudes, etc......obedient?...or not...? Good tree..good fruit...bad tree...bad fruit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway
Does it bother us that the beggar on the street could actually be our neighbor, a member of us?
It should...we should show all people love, joy, peace, longsuffering, forgiveness, gentleness, meekness...it's hard sometimes, showing all these fruits to a wicked, non-believer...because they themselves are sometimes very, very evil in their words and treatment toward a believer....and towards the God that they love so deeply.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,140,112 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Hello sparrow.

We are only required to love our brother's, sister's, neighbors and strangers as we would love ourselves....as we are all living together in the will of our father.

We are commanded to love our enemies...and we love our enemies by showing them the fruits of our spirit...love, joy, peace, meekness, gentleness, longsuffering, forgiveness...but we are not commanded to love our enemies as we would love ourselves, or as we would love our brothers, sisters, neighbor's or strangers that live among us. That is the difference...it is written.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Wouldn't you be putting a condition on your love? If you are not perfect, why are you expecting everyone, especially those who do not know how to love, to be perfect? God's love for all of us is without condition. The bible tells you to become perfect as our Father is perfect. How can you become perfect if you put conditions on who is your neighbor?

With my own ministry, I tell people to show their love for one another. I tell them that even though we all stumble, we have to get ourselves up again in order to show those who are fallen that, yes, God loves all no matter what they have done.

It seems to me that you are putting a condition on the very teachings of Jesus. "Love God and each other". If you do not love those who are evil or show bad fruits, those who do not agree with your beliefs, etc, then you are not loving yourself enough to do what Jesus asked of us.

Just my take on what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,246,564 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I think this whole thing can be cleared up by:

Matt 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

I think it implies that we should treat even STRANGERS as our neighbor. You are not justified in withholding LOVE (GOD) from anyone. IMO
kat...you quoted Matthew 25 and said it proved that "everyone" was a neighbor..but you missed this part:

Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these "my brethren," ye have done it unto me.

It does not apply to all - just brethren of Jesus, and it is easy to prove that his brethren are those who hear the word of God and "DO" it!

Mat 12:50 For "whosoever shall do the will"of my Father which is in heaven, "the same is my brother, and sister", and mother.

Luk 8:21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and "my brethren" are these which hear the word of God, and "DO" it.


A couple of questions for everyone...

1. If all men are our neighbors...then why did God have the Israelites destroy all their "neighbors"?....

"Love your neighbor "as you love yourself."

2. If all men our are neighbors then what about the homeless alcoholic or drug addict begging on the street corners? If they are your neighbor and you do not love them as you love yourself - are you sinning? Do you feed them as you feed yourself? Do you bring them into your home?

Isa 58:6 "Is not this the fast that I choose:....
Isa 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and "bring the homeless poor into your house"; "when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"


In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,589,328 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I imagine most readers here have heard that God is Love.
I also imagine that most of us are familiar of chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians, which tells us better what Love is.
So if God is love, and love is described in 1 Cor. 13, is this description also a description of God?

Let's look at 2 different versions of this chapter (verses 4-8 only for now), replacing the word "love/charity" with God:

KJV:
"God suffereth long, and is kind; God envieth not; God vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not His own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
God never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away..."

Now let's try the Amplified Version:

God endures long and is patient and kind; God never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display Himself haughtily.He is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); He is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. God (love in us) does not insist on His own rights or His own way, for He is not self-seeking; He is not touchy or fretful or resentful; He takes no account of the evil done to Him [He pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
He does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.
God bears up under anything and everything that comes, He is ever ready to believe the best of every person, His hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and He endures everything [without weakening].
God never fails [He never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth]....




Comments?


Love to all,
brian
and "he" is *imagined(?)* to live within (each person). without weakening.
has never failed.
only the one's suffering. they fail. (not you, Brian.)

when knowing the truth must be pitted against experiences in a less truthful reality, ("human") life becomes pathetic, and hope a farce.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 05-24-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,404,036 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
kat...you quoted Matthew 25 and said it proved that "everyone" was a neighbor..but you missed this part:

Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these "my brethren," ye have done it unto me.

It does not apply to all - just brethren of Jesus, and it is easy to prove that his brethren are those who hear the word of God and "DO" it!

Mat 12:50 For "whosoever shall do the will"of my Father which is in heaven, "the same is my brother, and sister", and mother.

Luk 8:21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and "my brethren" are these which hear the word of God, and "DO" it.


A couple of questions for everyone...

1. If all men are our neighbors...then why did God have the Israelites destroy all their "neighbors"?....

"Love your neighbor "as you love yourself."

2. If all men our are neighbors then what about the homeless alcoholic or drug addict begging on the street corners? If they are your neighbor and you do not love them as you love yourself - are you sinning? Do you feed them as you feed yourself? Do you bring them into your home?

Isa 58:6 "Is not this the fast that I choose:....
Isa 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and "bring the homeless poor into your house"; "when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"


In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
So stranger doesn't mean stranger anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,246,564 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So stranger doesn't mean stranger anymore?
No...stranger still means stranger. That isn't what I said at all...now is it?

Nevermind.

Post #75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna
...an enemy/wicked,unbeliever is not a member, one with another with a believer...a brother, sister, neighbor, and stranger, which are called such because they are believer's...All members of one Christian household.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 05-24-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top