Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times

Advertisements

The love of God is called Agape love which is pronounced : ``o-gah-pay``... which is the highest from of Love which is also called parental love or wide open love, and beloved or well loved. the greeks used this for all of God love in the New Testament........ Other types of love are philia love which is for an affection for brotherhood of honor ,,,,, the other type is eros love which is selfish and a sexual nature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I remember that song! I haven't heard it in so many years. Great song!
Yes! even when I read the passage in the NIV the sing song KJV version is what I hear! LOL

Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
I remember singing a song in church that goes kind of like this; Praise Him, praise Him all ye little children, God is love, God is love.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

Please show me the verse or verses that specifically say that, "God IS love."

...so...please...show me the verse or verses that says, "God is love".

Geez, Verna, do you REALLY want to "go there!?"

June could have chosen to moderate any number of threads (little heathen that she is) but she specifically chose this one, thinking "Now there's a compelling topic!"

--So Verna, sweetheart, just let it rest....

Let it rest, as opposed to "GIVE ME PROOF!"

Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry

I really want to know this...I am searching...

Searching is oftentimes a good thing.

Take gentle care.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love 1 John 4 verse 8

Man in his condemned conscience has a hard time understanding this never mind believing it .

Calvary was and is the demonstration of who He is and that is love

but God commends *his* love to us, in that, we being still sinners, Christ has died for us . Romans 5 verse 8

Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Geez, Verna, do you REALLY want to "go there!?"

June could have chosen to moderate any number of threads (little heathen that she is) but she specifically chose this one, thinking "Now there's a compelling topic!"

--So Verna, sweetheart, just let it rest....

Let it rest, as opposed to "GIVE ME PROOF!"

Okay?

What do you mean?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:59 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
What do you mean?
June was just teasing in a light hearted way. Apologies if she didn't come across the right way. Initially read the title of this thread, and thought what a nice title it was...Found myself smiling in thinking how anyone can 'prove' love. It just is...

Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June was just teasing in a light hearted way. Apologies if she didn't come across the right way. Initially read the title of this thread, and thought what a nice title it was...Found myself smiling in thinking how anyone can 'prove' love. It just is...

Ahhhhh...I see... I really didn't know how to take your reply...I understand now though.

Where I come from on this is...Many want to use just one of the attributes of God's character...love...to describe Who He is, and disregard ALL of WHO He IS...and He IS SO much MORE!

God tells us how to prove OUR LOVE FOR HIM...He said, "If YOU love ME, keep My Commandments."...He does not have to prove HIS love for US because He already did...when He gave His only begotten Son to WHOSOEVER WOULD BELIEVE IN HIM [OBEY HIM]...that THEY would have eternal life.

Anyone who thinks that God loves a wicked person who lives in sin...is deceived...God said, "Anyone who says they know Me and keepeth not My commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him." He said, "I abideth NOT in them, nor do they abideth in Me." "He hateth the worker's of iniquity."

So the one's who just want to focus in on His love...leave out His wrath...His jealousy...His hate...His requirements...His commandments...His conditions...

...IF!............THEN!............

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Ahhhhh...I see... I really didn't know how to take your reply...I understand now though.

Where I come from on this is...Many want to use just one of the attributes of God's character...love...to describe Who He is, and disregard ALL of WHO He IS...and He IS SO much MORE!

God tells us how to prove OUR LOVE FOR HIM...He said, "If YOU love ME, keep My Commandments."...He does not have to prove HIS love for US because He already did...when He gave His only begotten Son to WHOSOEVER WOULD BELIEVE IN HIM [OBEY HIM]...that THEY would have eternal life.

Anyone who thinks that God loves a wicked person who lives in sin...is deceived...God said, "Anyone who says they know Me and keepeth not My commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him." He said, "I abideth NOT in them, nor do they abideth in Me." "He hateth the worker's of iniquity."

So the one's who just want to focus in on His love...leave out His wrath...His jealousy...His hate...His requirements...His commandments...His conditions...

...IF!............THEN!............

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.

I think the problem MANY of us have is that traditional Christianity rarely shows the powerful LOVE that Jesus had for His "enemies." Some of us have just had ENOUGH of the judging and condemning that goes on in Chrisianity! Enough of the wars and divisions. Enough of the cliques and "I'm
interpreting this right, you are interpreting that wrong" behavior.

Yes, follow His commandments!! But LOVE was what hung on the LAW and the prophets!!

Traditional religion is tiresome without love. It wears you out and beats others down. Jesus said you would know them by their LOVE for one another. Christianity has brought anything BUT love, joy, and peace around the world.

In my opinion, the focus has ALWAYS been on all those other attributes of God that you named. At what point can we look back over the history of Christianity and say, THAT was the LOVE that Christ was showing to the world!!

We have done NO better than the Jews at this love thing (I've been reading the Old Testament). They did NOT understand what God's love was about, and neither does most of Christianity.

Last edited by herefornow; 05-22-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 04:19 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Verna... so you really have never read those verses about God being love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity