U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,125,287 times

Advertisements

I imagine most readers here have heard that God is Love.
I also imagine that most of us are familiar of chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians, which tells us better what Love is.
So if God is love, and love is described in 1 Cor. 13, is this description also a description of God?

Let's look at 2 different versions of this chapter (verses 4-8 only for now), replacing the word "love/charity" with God:

KJV:
"God suffereth long, and is kind; God envieth not; God vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not His own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
God never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away..."

Now let's try the Amplified Version:

God endures long and is patient and kind; God never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display Himself haughtily.He is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); He is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. God (love in us) does not insist on His own rights or His own way, for He is not self-seeking; He is not touchy or fretful or resentful; He takes no account of the evil done to Him [He pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
He does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.
God bears up under anything and everything that comes, He is ever ready to believe the best of every person, His hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and He endures everything [without weakening].
God never fails [He never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth]....

Comments?

Love to all,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,142,693 times
Yes. God is Love.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:32 AM

21,435 posts, read 29,606,904 times
John 3:16.........YES!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,250,755 times
Please show me the verse or verses that specifically say that, "God IS love."

...not that He loves...we know that He loves...but that isn't ALL He is or does...He's many things all wrapped up into One Big Almighty God...Creator of the heavens and the earth...and all that is in it...

...He cannot be put into a box and simply called "love" as being someONE who does not have ALL the qualities that make Him God of the universe...He IS capable of Being anything that IS...and He IS!...and it IS ALL to His glory...whether we call it love or not...even His HATE is love...it IS His nature...!

I could fill this entire page with ALL God IS...but I cannot find where it says He is love...He loves...yes...but He isn't just love...of course, unless you understand that ALL He does and IS is because of His love for us...He IS holy...He hates...He IS jealous...He IS full of wrath...He IS to be feared...He IS Creator...

...He requireth of us...He blesseth...He chooseth...He delivereth...He enlargeth...He giveth...He taketh away...He commandeth...He promises...He careth...He redeemeth...He driveth out...He brings in...He scattereth...He gathereth...He judgeth...He kills...He destroys...He gives life...He takes live...He knows ALL things...He IS the LORD our God...

...so...please...show me the verse or verses that says, "God is love".
Thank you...I really want to know this...I am searching and cannot find it...

Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,412,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Please show me the verse or verses that specifically say that, "God IS love."

...not that He loves...we know that He loves...but that isn't ALL He is or does...He's many things all wrapped up into One Big Almighty God...Creator of the heavens and the earth...and all that is in it...

...He cannot be put into a box and simply called "love" as being someONE who does not have ALL the qualities that make Him God of the universe...He IS capable of Being anything that IS...and He IS!...and it IS ALL to His glory...whether we call it love or not...even His HATE is love...it IS His nature...!

I could fill this entire page with ALL God IS...but I cannot find where it says He is love...He loves...yes...but He isn't just love...of course, unless you understand that ALL He does and IS is because of His love for us...He IS holy...He hates...He IS jealous...He IS full of wrath...He IS to be feared...He IS Creator...

...He requireth of us...He blesseth...He chooseth...He delivereth...He enlargeth...He giveth...He taketh away...He commandeth...He promises...He careth...He redeemeth...He driveth out...He brings in...He scattereth...He gathereth...He judgeth...He kills...He destroys...He gives life...He takes live...He knows ALL things...He IS the LORD our God...

...so...please...show me the verse or verses that says, "God is love".
Thank you...I really want to know this...I am searching and cannot find it...
I have this one memorized (KJV) so I won't bother to cut and paste... Beloved, let us love one another. For love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not... knoweth not God for GOD IS LOVE. Beloved, let us love one another. 1 John 4:7-8

We used to sing this in Sunday School...

Apparently your idea of God is not that GOD IS LOVE... but guess what? The bible says he IS Love.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,412,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I have this one memorized (KJV) so I won't bother to cut and paste... Beloved, let us love one another. For love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not... knoweth not God for GOD IS LOVE. Beloved, let us love one another. 1 John 4:7-8

Apparently your idea of God is not that GOD IS LOVE... but guess what? The bible says he IS Love.
Oh and Verna... If you were truly searching you would have found that typing in "God is Love" into the search bar of any bible search tool would bring up the passage above and 1 John 4:16 so I doubt you are really searching at all.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,250,755 times
As I search and discover what IS God, I come up with a depth of God's character...His character/nature is so all encompassing...He comprises ALL the parts of His love...which ALL the parts of God's love nature makes a Whole...ALL of His attributes make His love complete in everything He chooses to do...God's love means something much deeper...God's love requires...God's love demands...God's love commands...God's love is conditional.

Creation so fully demonstrates and proves His love...and he that loveth not is not quickened by the knowledge he has of God to put it into practice...<<<...and this is where the problem lies...He that loveth not God...he it is that knoweth not God...nor His love. Who is it that loves God?...He that keepeth His commandments. Here again...it all boils down to one basic principle...one basic truth...do you live in sin?...or do you keep God's commandments?...do you forsake your fleshly desires to live in His will for your life?...or do you continue to wilfully fulfill the desires of your flesh?...knowing what God requires of you instead?......?..if you cannot answer these in the "Light" of His expectations with the keeping of His commandments...then the evidence of God's love and the evidence of the love of God does not dwell within you.

Yes, it can be said that God is, indeed love...He is the essence of Love...and He lov-ED us enough to give His precious Son for us...do we accept His love?...not if we do not keep His commandments...He said, "If you love Me, keep my commandments."..that would suffice to say that if you do not keep His commandments, you do not love Him....nor do you know Him or His love...He said, "...he that saith he knows me and keepeth not my commandments, is a liar and the truth is not in him..."

The example of God should press us. We should be imitators of Him, as His dear children. The qualities of His divine love should be the qualities of ours.

The new nature in the children of God is the product of His love: and the temper and complexion of it is love. The fruit of the Spirit is love...Gal. 5:22.

...And they that are Christ's, have crucified the flesh whith the affections and lust's...Galations 5:24.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 05-21-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,693,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I remember that song! I haven't heard it in so many years. Great song!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM

37,649 posts, read 25,348,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
As I search and discover what IS God, I come up with a depth of God's character...His character/nature is so all encompassing...He comprises ALL the parts of His love...which ALL the parts of God's love nature makes a Whole...ALL of His attributes make His love complete in everything He chooses to do...God's love means something much deeper...God's love requires...God's love demands...God's love commands...God's love is conditional.
God's love is unconditional . . . because conditional love is an oxymoron . . . only human love can be conditional because we have weaknesses. God does NOT have weaknesses nor any of the negative emotions our human weaknesses produce in us. How could you possibly be satisfied with the following proclamation of love . . . "I will love you IF. . ." Jesus loved us DESPITE our treatment and behavior towards Him even unto His death. THAT is LOVE and that is God's LOVE, period. Does that leave us off the hook? . . . NO. Are there things we must do? . . . YES. Will there be consequences if we don't? . . . YES. Does that mean God will hate us or not love us or banish us to ET or annihilation? . . . Of course NOT!!! ANY parent who can believe this would happen is in serious trouble with God and does NOT know what love actually is.

Be Well and abide in Christ's love,
Mystic

Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 PM

3,585 posts, read 464,294 times
Yes --- God is love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or