U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,457,014 times

Advertisements

This where we're at......Church warns cell scientists not to play God - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_re_eu/eu_catholic_church_synthetic_cell - broken link)

Excerpts from article: Vatican and Italian church officials were mostly cautious in their first reaction to the announcement from the United States that researchers had produced a living cell containing manmade DNA. They warned scientists of the ethical responsibility of scientific progress and said that the manner in which the innovation is applied in the future will be crucial.

"Pretending to be God and parroting His power of creation is an enormous risk that can plunge men into a barbarity," Mogavero told newspaper La Stampa in an interview. Scientists "should never forget that there is only one creator: God."

In the wrong hands, today's development can lead tomorrow to a devastating leap in the dark," said Mogavero, who heads the conference's legal affairs department.

We're truly here aren't we? Would like to hear your thoughts on this. (civilly please?)

Civ-il-ly

–adverb

1. politely; courteously. (this one...) please?

2. in accordance with civil law

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 05-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: the title: From his on...disregard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,573,273 times
Quote:
"The inventors said the world's first synthetic cell is more a re-creation of existing life — changing one simple type of bacterium into another — than a built-from-scratch kind. But genome-mapping pioneer J. Craig Venter said his team's project paves the way for designing organisms that work differently from the way nature intended for a wide range of uses."
"Designing organisms" - interesting concept. I'll tell you what - this can be a little unnerving as with some other major scientific breakthroughs - in the wrong hands this could get crazy (custom made killer viruses anyone?).

As far as "playing God" man has been doing that from day one .

Hard to comment more on this without more info.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:23 AM

26,265 posts, read 14,140,123 times
Job 33:4 - "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

They can make all of the organisms that they want. God will have to intervene to actually give life.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 AM

7,873 posts, read 6,682,198 times
The challenge that the Catholic Church here voices their ideas in the Liberal accusers press will be overwelming if you read the attacks in the comments of this news page....... The first time I heard this DNA creation, I thought was the duplication of this man made cell and would it be possible? who knows but The Lord God, Man creating frankensteins in the world........

Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 AM

3,581 posts, read 457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Job 33:4 - "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

They can make all of the organisms that they want. God will have to intervene to actually give life.
I agree ..... What they have done is take the DNA from the cell of a bacteria - modified it, then put it back in - they have not actually created life -- to me it seems just an extension of genetic engineering. Tampering with existing life and not actually creating it.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,924,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
This where we're at......Church warns cell scientists not to play God - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_re_eu/eu_catholic_church_synthetic_cell - broken link)

Excerpts from article: Vatican and Italian church officials were mostly cautious in their first reaction to the announcement from the United States that researchers had produced a living cell containing manmade DNA. They warned scientists of the ethical responsibility of scientific progress and said that the manner in which the innovation is applied in the future will be crucial.

"Pretending to be God and parroting His power of creation is an enormous risk that can plunge men into a barbarity," Mogavero told newspaper La Stampa in an interview. Scientists "should never forget that there is only one creator: God."

In the wrong hands, today's development can lead tomorrow to a devastating leap in the dark," said Mogavero, who heads the conference's legal affairs department.

We're truly here aren't we? Would like to hear your thoughts on this. (civilly please?)

Civ-il-ly

–adverb

1. politely; courteously. (this one...) please?

2. in accordance with civil law
Scientist have been messing with biology for years. Its called biotechnology. It started with breeding out traits that were desirable in various animals.

These scientists did not create life. The took living components and put them together in a different configuration. They still had to put this genome into a living cell to make it work.

So, they did not create life, they just rearanged it. Even if they can create a cell using raw chemicals all they are showing is that man has been able to figure out what God originally did. And God did it and all of creation and the universe in six days. So, these scientists are not playing God, they are just figuring out what God did. The amount of labor that they put into it shows just how great God is. This is the best of mankinds knowledge is only able to figure out one of the simplist things of God through years of labor.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 AM

30,039 posts, read 30,714,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I agree ..... What they have done is take the DNA from the cell of a bacteria - modified it, then put it back in - they have not actually created life -- to me it seems just an extension of genetic engineering. Tampering with existing life and not actually creating it.
No, that is not what has been done. The DNA that was inserted into the empty cell casing/skin or what ever was synthetic (completely man made) not modified.

Quote:
U.S. geneticist Craig Venter -- has upped the game, with the announcement this week that his Maryland company has created the first synthetic cells from a DNA recipe stored in a computer.
"This is the first self-replicating species that we've had on the planet whose parent is a computer," Venter told reporters Thursday as he unveiled his creation in the journal Science.
His synthetic bacteria cells are the first organisms since life emerged billions of years ago that don't have a living ancestor.
Read more: Creating synthetic life is a powerful, dangerous tool (http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Creating+synthetic+life+powerful+dangerous+tool/3060367/story.html#ixzz0oeoAL5mB - broken link)

How many times have the religious used this? "Man cannot create life, so god must have done it." Now that life has been created by man the religious are going to have to find a brand new argument. I wonder what it will be?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,758,453 times
[quote=sanspeur;14286577]
Quote:
No, that is not what has been done. The DNA that was inserted into the empty cell casing/skin or what ever was synthetic (completely man made) not modified.
Yes, it is what they have done. There is nothing on earth that is man-made.....all their "DNA" comes from something that God originally created. How arrogant for them to think that anything could be "man-made" when absolutely everything they use was made by God.

Quote:
How many times have the religious used this? "Man cannot create life, so god must have done it." Now that life has been created by man the religious are going to have to find a brand new argument. I wonder what it will be?
God did do it!! There is no life that is created apart from God. Man can make all the claims of "I did it" all they want but it will never be true. God supplies the raw materials.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM

30,039 posts, read 30,714,159 times
Deny it all you want Irene, it doesn't change the facts.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,758,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Deny it all you want Irene, it doesn't change the facts.
It's ILENE, and what facts? I don't expect you to give God any glory since you don't believe in Him but the scientists wouldn't have squat to work with in the first place if God hadn't already supplied the raw materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or