U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,929,062 times
Reputation: 465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Or at the very least, stop perpetuating it into the world! You have faith in eternal torture? Have it unto thyself! For the love of God, stop using fear as a control weapon. Please.

Heartsong
It is not a control weapon, it is a warning. This is the same warning that Jesus Christ gave. You know Jesus Christ don't you? If you don't you will end up in this burning place forever "where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched".

"Dieth not" and "not quenched" are eternal references. Jesus preached that there is a hell, so should any believer in Jesus Christ.

 
Old 05-24-2010, 08:12 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,771,861 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
It is not a control weapon, it is a warning. This is the same warning that Jesus Christ gave. You know Jesus Christ don't you? If you don't you will end up in this burning place forever "where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched".

"Dieth not" and "not quenched" are eternal references. Jesus preached that there is a hell, so should any believer in Jesus Christ.
What exactly does that mean....the worm "dieth not"? It's symbolic because we know ALL things die and that all "death" will be thrown into the lake of fire. The fire "is not quenched" is NOT an eternal reference and there is no way that anyone can say it is. There's more of that "alluding to" that ETer's love to do.

Eternal torment is indeed a control weapon and people who perpetuate this lie are trying to control others with fear. One may THINK they're doing some kind of service by threatening eternal hellfire, but it's just another fear tactic that does not work......never will. Tell me, how many people have you actually been able to bring to Christ with this fear mongering?
 
Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,544 posts, read 11,585,135 times
Reputation: 4469
All this talk about fire, and we don't know - or care - what baptism awaits us. We need to quit all this bickering amongst ourselves and ask the Lord what He would do in us.
 
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,413,898 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
What exactly does that mean....the worm "dieth not"? It's symbolic because we know ALL things die and that all "death" will be thrown into the lake of fire. The fire "is not quenched" is NOT an eternal reference and there is no way that anyone can say it is. There's more of that "alluding to" that ETer's love to do.

Eternal torment is indeed a control weapon and people who perpetuate this lie are trying to control others with fear. One may THINK they're doing some kind of service by threatening eternal hellfire, but it's just another fear tactic that does not work......never will. Tell me, how many people have you actually been able to bring to Christ with this fear mongering?
True... fire and worms both need fuel to continue... so the only thing that is eternal is the amount of fuel... for all have sinned and fallen short!
 
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,697,381 times
Reputation: 639
Here is some info


Quote:

The Hebrew word olam means "a time that is far off." It is also used for space in the same sense, a place that is far off (such as in beyond the horizon). It means a space or time that goes beyond their perceptions. I do not like everlasting or eternal as these are abstract Greek terms that are not understood by the Ancient Hebrews.

Jeff & Denise Benner
Ancient Hebrew Research Center

 
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
 
3,585 posts, read 464,829 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
True... fire and worms both need fuel to continue... so the only thing that is eternal is the amount of fuel... for all have sinned and fallen short!
Yes -- also the fire is made for the devil and his angels.

Adam was created of the dust of the earth and also with the breath of God breathed into him, and all his progeny are of this composition. The serpent was to eat the dust of the earth, Not the spirit that God breathed into him and that is in all of his progeny.
 
Old 04-15-2017, 02:50 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,044 times
Reputation: 10
All will worship MAN & THE IMAGE OF MAN, all who's names weren't written in the book of life from the foundation of the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top