Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,145 times

Advertisements

I think many Puritans (Calvinists?) commited suicide in the past (partly) due the doctrine of eternal torment?

this is partly related to the subject of Calvinism:

True Hope for Netherlands Reform Church Members and All Calvin Doctrine Victims (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/falseteachers/calvin/truehope.htm - broken link)

Quote:
IMO this whole thread is filled with false reasons why orthodox christian theology is bad but this new idea (UT) will cure all of your ills.
Universalism is no new idea, it was very widespread among the early churchfathers, whereas eternal torment became dogma about 550 AD

http://www.thebeautifulheresy.com/20...ly-church.html

The claim that universalism derived from Plato seems to be totally wrong, quite to the contrary, it might have been Plato who introduced eternal torment, though only for a few, to Greek thinking. I have read contradicting sources.

Last edited by svenM; 05-25-2010 at 03:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I thought I recognized 5150. I used to do Medical Transcription for a California hospital. 5150 is Involuntary Psych Admission in California.
Busted.

Section 5150 is a section of California's Welfare and Institutions Code (specifically, the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act or "LPS") which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to his or her self, and/or others[1] and/or gravely disabled. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer, as well as any specifically designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration. When used as a term, 5150 can informally refer to the person being confined or to the declaration itself.

The 5150 hold may be written out on Form MH 302, Application for 72 Hour Detention for Evaluation and Treatment.
I am not a Peace Officer or a clinician, but my job involes working with 5150 types on occasion as well as with law enforcement and mental health professionals.

Quote:
What do you TRULY BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART OF HEARTS??
I believe the truth will be known when we meet the Lord. I really don't care if I am wrong on this issue, but I just don't see universalism supported by scripture.

And I have read enough cites (and in the last week or two to settle the issue in my mind.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I believe the truth will be known when we meet the Lord. I really don't care if I am wrong on this issue, but I just don't see universalism supported by scripture.

And I have read enough cites (and in the last week or two to settle the issue in my mind.

I believe the bolded phrase is a little telling, to me it seems you are using your head to assess the truth -- Jesus is the truth and truth is to be sought for HIS/its own sake, with your whole heart .

And I do also believe that it is only when we meet the Lord that we will know all truth .

Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I believe the bolded phrase is a little telling, to me it seems you are using your head to assess the truth -- Jesus is the truth and truth is to be sought for HIS/its own sake, with your whole heart .
No offense but...

I disagree. Mostly because you have never met me. So how do you know whether I disagree with UR because I am using my head or by conviction of the Holy Spirit?

What I have seen over the last week or two is people redefining words, such as "fire" and "believe" to make UR fit what is written in the Bible.

Then I see people blame wars, suicide and physical child abuse on the concept of hell. Knowing what I know about human behavior makes me roll my eyes at the idea. I mean, have you noticed that polytheistic/pagan cultures engage in said practices? And they don't believe in ET.

So that's my beef with the UR theology.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,222 times
Quote:
No offense but...

I disagree. Mostly because you have never met me. So how do you know whether I disagree with UR because I am using my head or by conviction of the Holy Spirit?

What I have seen over the last week or two is people redefining words, such as "fire" and "believe" to make UR fit what is written in the Bible.

Then I see people blame wars, suicide and physical child abuse on the concept of hell. Knowing what I know about human behavior makes me roll my eyes at the idea. I mean, have you noticed that polytheistic/pagan cultures engage in said practices? And they don't believe in ET.

Mr5150,

We are NOT redefining fire. We just happen to be thinking SPIRITUALLY instead of CARNALLY.

These phrases are ALL from Bible Verses: MINISTERS of fire, Baptizing with FIRE, Salted with FIRE, your works will be revealed by FIRE, your TONGUE is a FIRE, sea of glass mingled with FIRE.

What do you think fire speaks of in the Bible? What does it mean?

Last edited by herefornow; 05-25-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Then I see people blame wars, suicide and physical child abuse on the concept of hell.
All I can say is that when people believe absolutely absurd insanities it certainly doesn't help in any given situation.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
No offense but...

All I am saying is that you saying "I do not really care if I am right on this", says something, I am not meaning it about a particular doctrine, it is not about UR or ET or preterism or sabbath or all of the doctrines that are derived from the bible. We all judge people by what they say, I would say the same thing if you said I do not care if I am right on salvation is by works or faith without works is dead, or we must keep the sabbath to be saved.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Mr5150,

We are NOT redefining fire. We just happen to be thinking SPIRITUALLY instead of CARNALLY.
Spiritually = people who agree with us

Carnally = people who disagree with us

Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Mr5150,

These phrase are ALL from Bible Verses: MINISTERS of fire, Baptizing with FIRE, Salted with FIRE, your works will be revealed by FIRE, your TONGUE is a FIRE, sea of glass mingled with FIRE.

What do you think fire speaks of in the Bible? What does it mean?
Herefornow,

What I see is that we are all trying to see spiritually (maybe it is to different degrees) --- with all of the opposing doctrines of all of those trying to see spiritually and all of us believing that what we perceive is spiritual and the ones that oppose us must then be only perceiving things carnally, we can get side tracked into the situation where the focus gets put onto each accusing the other of being carnal and not one of the spiritual ones ......

I know that I do not perceive all truth .......but what I do see is a tendancy to put doctrines into boxes that are disjointed from each other and it detracts from the purpose of God creating humans as humans and then destroying the old creation and raising humans to a new creation. What I see is the doctrine of ET is taking some scriptures about aionian judgment and making it in a spiritual torture chamber of those who are not 'christian' and that some 'christians' do not feel any compassion for those that they think are going to that place because in their mind they believe that those people have chosen to go there. And others have their own justifications of why it is justice. Some do not actually think about the implications, they just believe what they have been told about it. As if anyone would choose to be tormented forever and ever and ever and ever..........

Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Spiritually = people who agree with us

Carnally = people who disagree with us

Yes --- and what I see is we all have a tendency to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity