U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 AM

21,282 posts, read 20,904,862 times

Advertisements

Are we required to repent of our sins? I just read another poster's statement to the effect that this is not necessary as long as we believe in Christ. That just blew my mind! I have never heard a Christian say that before. What do you all think?

Also, what do you believe that it means to repent of one's sins? If you repeat the same sin again, does it mean you didn't really repent the first time? Can you repent of the same sin more than once? Is repentance a one-time thing or a continual thing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM

30,248 posts, read 20,001,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are we required to repent of our sins? I just read another poster's statement to the effect that this is not necessary as long as we believe in Christ. That just blew my mind! I have never heard a Christian say that before. What do you all think?

Also, what do you believe that it means to repent of one's sins? If you repeat the same sin again, does it mean you didn't really repent the first time? Can you repent of the same sin more than once? Is repentance a one-time thing or a continual thing?
Believing in the Love of God causes us to repent . This is why loving and blessing your enemies wins your brother over . Romans 2 verse 4

A Harsh word stirs up anger but a soft answer turns away wrath.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:25 PM

580 posts, read 632,523 times
Quote:

Romans 9:16
It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.
Romans 9:18
Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
1 Timothy 1:13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.
Luke 3:3
He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
Acts 11:18 When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life."
Romans 2:4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
2 Corinthians 7:10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
2 Timothy 2:25 Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,
It depends on God's mercy to grant one repentence.
Mercy is an attribute of God's love.
God Bless,
Mercy

Last edited by mercy777; 05-23-2010 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,394,235 times
Quote:

Repentance is for man's benefit not God's. It is a matter of conscience. Some repent to a priest because it makes them feel better to confess to another. Some pray silently. Some smack their foreheads and move on... I am of the crowd!

Yes I do repeat the same sin twice and I feel worse the second time... therefore I give myself two smacks!

It really is just a way to relieve the conscience so that nothing comes between us and knowledge of our creator (Love). Guilt is the number one cause of lack of Love....IMO.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 PM

30,248 posts, read 20,001,723 times
For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all. Romans 11 verse 32 .
It's funny how many of the gentile christians will dismiss this "them All" as referring to the jewish world , they really paint themselves into a corner with such daft comments . The scriptures are not the history of the nation of Israel (which at least a few on here would have us to believe)but a testimony of who Jesus is , John 5 verse 39

Last edited by pcamps; 05-23-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 PM

580 posts, read 632,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all. Romans 11 verse 32 .
It's funny how many of the gentile christians will dismiss this "them All" as referring to the jewish world , they really paint themselves in a corner with such daft comments .
God had brought that scripture in Romans to mind after I had posted. And then, not to change the original post, just a thought, taking us back to Adam and Eve. The plan of God to show Himself to His people through Christ and recieve Glory. (Gentiles also)
Matthew 3:8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

God Bless,
Mercy

Last edited by mercy777; 05-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,565,611 times
Quote:
How can one be said to "believe in Christ" but not do what He says?
  • Matthews 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM

20,306 posts, read 15,665,676 times
Quote:

In all probability, I am that poster. For the full meaning of repentence, I shall turn it over to Dr. Harry Ironside. Which by the way I included in the other thread.

Except Ye Repent - By Dr. Harry Ironside

But it won't do anyone any good unless they bother to read it. WITH COMPREHENSION.

Feeling sorry for your sins doesn't save you. Believing in Christ for salvation results in salvation.

As far as someone who is a believer goes, when he commits a sin he simply names it to God the Father as per 1 John 1:9. He doesn't have to feel sorry about the sin, although he might indeed feel sorry about it. Or he might not. The issue is in simply naming it, at which point that sin is forgiven because it was previously judged at the Cross. If he commits the sin again, then he names it again. Naming it is grace. Thinking that God requires you to feel sorry about it in order to be forgiven, is legalism. That doesn't mean the believer has a license to sin. He does not. Sin results in divine discipline. But not a loss of salvation. (Prov 3:11-12; Heb 12:5-13; Rev 3:19-21).

Study the following if you will...

Doctrine of Rebound (http://jrcyouth.com/love1.htm - broken link)

Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM

6,643 posts, read 3,998,284 times
Quote:

That sound like what the Pharisees and Sadducees of old beleived.

They did not beleive that they needed to repent as they were Gods elect children, they beleived baptism unto repentance was only for those outside of Israel.

Tis why John said to them who warned you to flee from the wrath to come.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:58 PM

21,282 posts, read 20,904,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Feeling sorry for your sins doesn't save you.
I would think that would be obvious to any Christian.

Quote:
As far as someone who is a believer goes, when he commits a sin he simply names it to God the Father as per 1 John 1:9. He doesn't have to feel sorry about the sin, although he might indeed feel sorry about it. Or he might not. The issue is in simply naming it, at which point that sin is forgiven because it was previously judged at the Cross.
I'm absolutely amazed at this attitude. In order to "name" a sin to God, you must recognize it to be a sin. What it sounds to me like you doing is saying it's okay to say, "God, I have sinned. I have been emotionally abusive to my spouse (or I have stolen from my employer, or I have spread lies about my neighbor, or I have cheated on my income taxes). I know this behavior is sinful. Otherwise I would not be able to recognize it as such and admit it to you. I'm not sorry about it, though. I feel no remorse for what I've done, and since I don't, I am likely to repeat the same behavior again and again. Since I believe in Jesus Christ, my sins are forgiven and there is really no reason for me to feel sorry for having committed them or to resolve to do better in the future."

Is that seriously what you get out of reading the scriptures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity