U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,992 posts, read 8,577,707 times
Reputation: 11899

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
My view is simple. The bible is silent about Christ's DEITY but it is not silent about his being mortal. Therefore, I believe that by using the HS to full capacity Jesus was a MAN who was able to live with a clear conscience that everything he did was approved by God. So we can do that to by taking full advantage of the helper (HS) given to us. We are all capable of being gods in a jar!
This coming from a UR person only confirms my feeling that Universalism is not biblical.

In the OP I provided much biblical proof regarding the diety of Christ. The Bible is not silent on this matter, but quite loud and clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
 
3,613 posts, read 470,404 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This coming from a UR person only confirms my feeling that Universalism is not biblical.

In the OP I provided much biblical proof regarding the diety of Christ. The Bible is not silent on this matter, but quite loud and clear.
It is not fair to generalise based on individual interpretations -- that is like me saying that I am convinced that christianity is not true and there is no Holy Spirit because of all of the confusion in christianity and its many denominations which all say they are led by the Holy Spirit calvinism, arminianism. preterism, futurism, OSAs, sabbath keeping, catholicism, pentecostals, mormonism, JW, etc


Kat is personally trying to make sense out of the many different doctrines, views, interpretations that abound.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-27-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,395,075 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
It is not fair to generalise based on individual interpretations -- that is like me saying that I am convinced that christianity is not true and there is no Holy Spirit because of all of the confusion in christianity and its many denominations which all say they are led by the Holy Spirit calvinism, arminianism. preterism, futurism, OSAs, sabbath, keeping, catholicism, pentecostals, mormonism, JW, etc


Kat is personally trying to make sense out of the many different doctrines, views, interpretations that abound.


Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,305,481 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Kat is personally trying to make sense out of the many different doctrines, views, interpretations that abound.
When was logic and sense a part of faith?

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-27-2010 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,441 posts, read 29,638,033 times
Reputation: 29982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This coming from a UR person only confirms my feeling that Universalism is not biblical.

In the OP I provided much biblical proof regarding the diety of Christ. The Bible is not silent on this matter, but quite loud and clear.
AMEN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 PM
 
20,383 posts, read 15,761,505 times
Reputation: 7547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Dear Mike555, I see you have to use man-made invented words like "hypostatic union." Those words are not part of God's divine revaltion to us and should be relegated to the dung heap.
As you have said this in the past, it was predictable that you would repeat yourself. Hypostatic union and Kenosis are theological technical terms. Every area of life, every profession, every technical field, has and uses technical terms. Theology is no different. One word of vocabulary saves a thousand words of explanation.


Quote:
In John 20:17, when Jesus said "I am ascending to My God and your God" He was speaking from the standpoint of His resurrected divinity. He was telling the disciples He is not their God.
No He wasn't. He was speaking from the standpoint of His humanity.

Christ's divine nature IS His deity. It was His humanity that was resurrected. Not His deity.

Link:

The "I AM" Sayings Prove Jesus to be Divine



Quote:
Please note in Revelation years after His resurrection and sitting at the right hand of His God He said:
Rev 3:12 '"The one who is conquering, him will I be making a pillar in the temple of My God, and he may be coming out nevermore, and I will be writing on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which is descending out of heaven from My God, and My new name."

One who has a God cannot be THAT God. God cannot die. If the invisible Deity filling heaven and earth and by Whom all things subsist had died then every being in the universe would instantly have died too.
Since the moment of His incarnation, Jesus Christ is the God-Man forevermore.

It was the humanity of Christ that died on the Cross. Not His deity.

The three members of the Godhead are distinquished one from another.

Since Jesus has submitted Himself to the will of the Father, the first Person of the trinity, He refers to the first Person of the trinity as God, even though He Himself is also God. And Christ refers to Him also as Father for the same reason. And no, Jesus is not the Father. It's a matter of position. Not inferiority.


Link:

God the Father : What does the Bible say?

As I stated elsewhere on this thread, if a person professes to believe in Christ, but doesn't believe that Jesus Christ is God, then that person does not believe in the Jesus Christ of the Bible and therefore has an improper object for his faith. That person therefore is not saved.

There is no excuse for not understanding the deity of Christ. Those who say they believe in Christ but deny His deity do not hold Biblical beliefs, but rather, cultish beliefs.

Final comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,424,826 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
When was logic and sense a part of faith?

Moderator cut: edit
LOL I am glad you all hashed that out.... There is a measure of faith needed to believe that God (the one who fills the heavens and earth) could confine himself to a human body...

I don't have that kind of faith... but nonetheless that shouldn't reflect on any other URers as there are many that believe just as you do!

I don't have faith in something that is "not specifically stated" in the bible.

If you do... great. I have no problem with that. But trying to explain to me that you have one God but two people who are both God (or three) is gonna fly right over my head when I try to count them!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-27-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,424,826 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This coming from a UR person only confirms my feeling that Universalism is not biblical.

In the OP I provided much biblical proof regarding the diety of Christ. The Bible is not silent on this matter, but quite loud and clear.
Yet didn't you say in your OP:
Quote:
My understanding is that Jesus is indeed God in the flesh. God made Himself flesh and hung out with humans for about 33 years. I believe this because of what I have read in the Bible.

My understanding:
So it is your understanding and really no biblical proof was presented. If you like you can post one point at a time and I will tell you MY UNDERSTANDING of the passage.

Even the most staunch and devoted trinitarian scholars will tell you that the trinity is NOT taught in the bible but is IMPLIED. I say it is INFERRED... but then that is my opinion just as it is my understanding that Jesus is not God come to earth in flesh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,860,412 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As I stated elsewhere on this thread, if a person professes to believe in Christ, but doesn't believe that Jesus Christ is God, then that person does not believe in the Jesus Christ of the Bible and therefore has an improper object for his faith. That person therefore is not saved.

There is no excuse for not understanding the deity of Christ. Those who say they believe in Christ but deny His deity do not hold Biblical beliefs, but rather, cultish beliefs.

Final comment.
Thank you Mike. They don't reject you, rather they reject Jesus.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-27-2010 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: topic is "Is Jesus God' not cults or Mormonism OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,395,075 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
When was logic and sense a part of faith?

Moderator cut: edited
When there is so much conflicting information in the Bible and SO many interpretations given for any of the thousands of verses in there, you really do need the Spirit to guide you, and I haven't been let down yet, but, the trinity is a very odd doctrine. And my spirit is having some trouble with it, so, I can see why katjonjj would have trouble with it.

When Jesus says YOUR will be done, not MINE, why is that? Did he have a will of his own?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-27-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top