U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,384,512 times
Reputation: 437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I understand, its ok. Take care and be well. And if you have a moment, pray for the health of my Dad.

Later...

I'll pray for him as well, legoman. Let us know when he gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,291,776 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Honestly, the doctrine of eternal torture in the fires of hell is MUCH more disturbing.

Saving a human being from being lit on fire for all eternity is quite noble, if you ask me. And, in the minds of mom's who believe that their chidren are going the wrong way and will be lit on fire forever, this makes perfect sense to kill them so they will be safe with God forever; full of happiness and joy!!

It's just plain ol' common sense and mother-bear type thinking.
No herefornow, killing unborn children is against everything Christ taught about. You kill a child and don't repent, you die in hell. Same goes for abortion. I've been through one, and it is no fun, especially when you have no control over the decision. I had to reluctantly stand by, and let my very own child die. How do you think that made me feel?

I still repent over it. You both are disturbed IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 AM
 
3,581 posts, read 456,716 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Like I said, this doctrine is found nowhere in the scriptures, and is pure assumption on our part.
Yes I know that, people like to assume that babies and little children are exempt from eternal torment. It comes with the territory of being human, our instincts are to protect our young.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,572,639 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No herefornow, killing unborn children is against everything Christ taught about. You kill a child and don't repent, you die in hell. Same goes for abortion. I've been through one, and it is no fun, especially when you have no control over the decision. I had to reluctantly stand by, and let my very own child die. How do you think that made me feel?

I still repent over it. You both are disturbed IMO.
I think you're missing the point though. They are saying it makes sense IF eternal hell (and the age of accountability) are true.

Just pointing out the absurdity of ET doctrine AND some possible results of believing that absurdity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,291,776 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Yes I know that, people like to assume that babies and little children are exempt from eternal torment. It comes with the territory of being human, our instincts are to protect our young.........
The issue really is this meerkat, the scriptures were written in a Jewish mindset, not Grecian like we know and understand, so the customs and culture must always be considered, especially in this matter. As it appears, even though it was not covered of at all in the scriptures except in the case of David's son, we must infer based on the custom of accountability, that it is implied, and those who cannot make these decisions, are cared for.

But as Paul said, none of us...not one...seeks God, and we are all, without excuse, yet like I said, it isn't consistent with God's character and decree to mankind IMO, to punish someone who never knew in the first place, but for the one that does, the punishment IMO, is well deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,291,776 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I think you're missing the point though. They are saying it makes sense IF eternal hell (and the age of accountability) are true.

Just pointing out the absurdity of ET doctrine AND some possible results of believing that absurdity.
No...these comments have nothing to do with the ET doctrine. The ET doctrine is based on a judgement God's only decree, the murder of a child, is by man's hand. What is absurd, is that the Universalist ties these two together and justifies the murder of innocent children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,572,639 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No...these comments have nothing to do with the ET doctrine. The ET doctrine is based on a judgement God's only decree, the murder of a child, is by man's hand. What is absurd, is that the Universalist ties these two together and justifies the murder of innocent children.
No, I don't believe it is justified because I don't believe in ET. I'm just pointing out that ET doctrine drives people to do crazy things sometimes because it is a CRAZY idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,291,776 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
No, I don't believe it is justified because I don't believe in ET. I'm just pointing out that ET doctrine drives people to do crazy things sometimes because it is a CRAZY idea.
I disagree. People that kill their children don't have Christ in them, even though they think they are justifying and securing their salvation, like some have in our history. The whole purpose of Christ being in you, is to overcome sin, and defeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 04:03 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,048,520 times
Reputation: 17783
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I disagree. People that kill their children don't have Christ in them, even though they think they are justifying and securing their salvation, like some have in our history. The whole purpose of Christ being in you, is to overcome sin, and defeat it.

Amen !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,384,512 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No herefornow, killing unborn children is against everything Christ taught about. You kill a child and don't repent, you die in hell. Same goes for abortion. I've been through one, and it is no fun, especially when you have no control over the decision. I had to reluctantly stand by, and let my very own child die. How do you think that made me feel?

I still repent over it. You both are disturbed IMO.
I'm sorry you had to go through that, sciotamicks. I have also been through traumas of my own. I think we all have.

But, someday you will understand what a horrible pagan doctrine eternal torment is.

I PROMISE you, that.

Last edited by herefornow; 05-27-2010 at 04:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top