Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

If we are told everyone in this physical life has to believe in Jesus to be saved from eternal torment, how does this line up with the scriptures that say that Jesus is the Saviour of all, especially those that believe. This is then interpreted to mean that Jesus is the potential Saviour of all but you need to believe to make it effective.

This makes no sense because for those that never heard of Jesus he is not even the potential Saviour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
If we are told everyone in this physical life has to believe in Jesus to be saved from eternal torment, how does this line up with the scriptures that say that Jesus is the Saviour of all, especially those that believe. This is then interpreted to mean that Jesus is the potential Saviour of all but you need to believe to make it effective.

This makes no sense because for those that never heard of Jesus he is not even the potential Saviour.
Twice in a two minute period. I still have this on my clipboard. Read a Bible:

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

!. Those who reject Jesus are condemed.

2. Those who have never heard the messege can't reject that which they have no knowlege or understanding of.

Case closed.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

2. Those who have never heard the messege can't reject that which they have no knowlege or understanding of.

Case closed.
Some of #1 comes from the verse, but where are you getting #2 from?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,963 times
Quote:

Case closed.

So, according to #2 it would actually be better to not even spread the gospel? Because if a person hears it and still rejects it, then they burn in hell and will be tortured for all eternity? The doctrine of eternal torment is so unbiblical and makes God out to be cruel! If one would study how Gehenna is used in the bible and let scripture interpret scripture, we wouldn't have this awful lie being spread around about God. He never condones sin. He is "JUST", but not cruel!!! Are we really to believe that sin is so repugnant to God, but TORTURE isn't?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post

Don't look for sense from these ET'ers and Biblean literalists. They do NOT know our loving God nor His Son Jesus. They are "Jehovah" witnesses . . . whatever they profess to be.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm not a Jehovah Witness. Just someone that believes God is love and I'm searching for the truth.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:46 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthetruth View Post
I'm not a Jehovah Witness. Just someone that believes God is love and I'm searching for the truth.
me too -- welcome to the forum!!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:

Case closed.
So what happens to them? If they haven't heard the message, they can't reject it. On the other hand, they can't believe it either. Case re-opened.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Hello all! I'm sooooo glad to find other ppl that think the doctine of ET is cruel and unbiblical. I thank God sooo much that He showed me it's not. That doctrine caused me so much mental suffering. I won't go into that. Not the topic. Then I studied annihilation, which was at the time tremendous relief from believing the ET doctrine. Still left an empty feeling inside. But just recently I have started seeing things in the bible that make me think that ALL might eventually be saved in the end. If that is true I will jump up and down for joy on that day. I've noticed that just because the bible uses "destroy", that doesn't have to mean the person is destroyed. I'm hoping it's just the sinful part of ppl. Maybe Gehenna fire is a cleansing fire of God's love????? Not sure. Hope so, but still studying. It says in the bible that Jesus is the Saviour of ALL, *especially* of those that believe. I love that scripture!!! God Bless!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Sorry for rambling in my last post. lol. Back to the topic tho. There are scriptures that sound to me like there will be a time when "The knowledge of the Lord will cover the earth" and a time when ppl won't be deceived anymore. Also in Isahia there is a scripture (can't remember exactly where), but says that ppl will be given 100 years. Maybe this is referring to a time when God will show everyone the truth and ppl who have never learned about Him will. Anyone know what scripture I'm talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity