U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,555,893 times

Advertisements

Insane - I see God's hand in all you've been through, as I can relate to quite a bit of your experiences; but God does a strange and consistently misunderstood thing in people before He begins to raise them up: He kills them.

Flushed are your doctrines, beliefs, systems and notions of the way God will do things - for the carnally interpreted systems of the earth are not the spiritual Kingdom of God.

You may find the Revelation thread I started yesterday intriguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM

5,409 posts, read 4,661,779 times
In response to Insane's falling away, I started another thread so I wouldn't go off topic.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,223,224 times
I read Lindsey's book as well, back in the 80's;it was many yrs old by then.But,with a healthy dose of common sense,I went on with my life as though it would continue on for many years...and it did.IMO this is the way God wants us to live..it's ok to watch for the signs,in fact we are supposed to..but don't stop living..after all,no man knows that day or hour!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 PM

ps ..does anyone else think the comment 'dipped his foot in oil' (by Hal Lindsey ) is a bit of a stretch?? imo it refers to olive oil,not spoils of the M.E.I just thought that was a bit ridiculous to look at a map and just assume it has a foot shape and there would be oil found at the bottom.if there is then imo,it is nothing more than coincidence.I don't think God gives us those kinds of silly puzzles to solve. ::rolling eyes:: the foot is literally a human foot,and the oil is a type you would put on it...olive.nothing more.JMO.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,568,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
ps ..does anyone else think the comment 'dipped his foot in oil' (by Hal Lindsey ) is a bit of a stretch?? imo it refers to olive oil,not spoils of the M.E.I just thought that was a bit ridiculous to look at a map and just assume it has a foot shape and there would be oil found at the bottom.if there is then imo,it is nothing more than coincidence.I don't think God gives us those kinds of silly puzzles to solve. ::rolling eyes:: the foot is literally a human foot,and the oil is a type you would put on it...olive.nothing more.JMO.
Those guys pull rabbits out of thin air all day and night in order to try and dupe people.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times
Many of these so called changes are nothing but Christian urban myths...Here are six myths refuted by the Institute of Creation research.

This one fits this topic...

Earthquakes are increasing: The rumor is that earthquakes have been increasing in frequency and/or intensity in recent years. This legend is often heard in connection with end-time prophecy - predictions about a coming end-of-the-world scenario. This is commonly called TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It). Conservative Christians generally interpret Matthew 24:6-16 as predicting the precursors that will be observed prior to the tribulation, rapture, second coming of Jesus, war of Armageddon, etc. Matthew 24:7 states: "...there will be earthquakes in diverse places." Near the close of the 20th century, many religious conservative anticipated the end of the world in their immediate future, perhaps in the year 2000. They naturally assume that the Bible's predictions refer to the present time, and that earthquakes are currently on the increase. Actually, they are decreasing. Geologist Steve Austin said on the ICR program that he has a data base containing information on about 4 million earthquakes. Their frequency has been decreasing during the 20th century.

Some Christian Urban Legends exposed by the Institute for Creation Research

Look around on the site, there are many more.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

200 posts, read 210,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I read Lindsey's book as well, back in the 80's;it was many yrs old by then.But,with a healthy dose of common sense,I went on with my life as though it would continue on for many years...and it did.IMO this is the way God wants us to live..it's ok to watch for the signs,in fact we are supposed to..but don't stop living..after all,no man knows that day or hour!
Unfortunately, many of the more fundamentalist churches will tell you that your common sense is foolishness in God's eyes and you shouldn't rely on it. I know, it sounds so stupid now, but there was a time I was afraid to do anything that would offend God, including think for myself .

Last edited by Snuffy63; 06-03-2010 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Misspelling. Did I spell 'misspelling' right?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,381,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Those guys pull rabbits out of thin air all day and night in order to try and dupe people.

And make an awful lot of money doing it.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,381,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I would hope that eventually everyone would come to this point and realize the CONTROL and FEAR that is being dangled over their heads. Living a life that is worthy in this world is all about LOVE. Loving your fellow man no matter what race, sexual orientation, religious belief, etc. We can all get along as long as we are tolerant of each other and each others beliefs or non-beliefs. We are people, we all have our own brains and we all won't agree on everything....that is just human nature.

I, personally, don't care what anyone's religious beliefs are as long as you keep them to yourself and don't try to ram them down my throat. We can discuss them, if need be, in a civilized manner but when the threats of hell and being left behind start, I will END the conversation. Believers shouldn't be concerned about how I or anyone else, for that matter, live their lives because as you teach...we will all be accountable for ourselves. Let's live in peace and harmony being tolerant of one other...expand your horizons to see that people who don't believe exactly as you do aren't bad people and quit treating them as such. Each one of us needs to live our own lives the best we can, treating each other as we wish to be treated, with respect...this is what will make this world a better and more loving place to be.

OK...I'm off of my soapbox now. Ya'll have a nice day!
I don't mind listening to people on their soapbox. The truth usually comes out that way.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
yes and we're all just supposed to say 'oh wow,look at that..Hal is a genius to have figured that out!' ..oil in the middle east? who would have thought....? lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity