Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,006,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The bible predicted that the earthquakes would begin to strike various places where you would have never thought and they did and will continue.
Yes, they will continue as they have throughout the long history of this planet...If anything as the core of our planet cools the quakes and volcanoes will likely become less intense...It's called physics.

Probing Question: What heats the earth's core?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,440,250 times
Quote:
You know, I could say something really nasty back towards your entire filthy and hateful response, but I decided I'm going to be an adult today and keep my class and grace and let you look like the blithering fool on Dreary Lane.
Obviously to disagree with your point is what you consider nasty, even filthy . You stated that this 'rare' earthquake was a clear signal the end of times is here. The all caps scream fest was amusing, but even in it you persisted how this was a clear sign.

How inconvenient that others have posted facts about the area being fairly active seismically for a long time.

If you choose to try and say that a truly rare event is a sign of something, I'll agree it was a rare event, but I'll really question if it is a sign of anything or merely one of the data points far from the normal plot.

Now take a rather normal event and label it rare, and a sign, expect to have that call challenged as the nonsense it is.

PS: I'll stand by my previous words, a reaction to your all caps rant, supported by reason. Humorous that you turned a statement you wouldn't attack into an attack, but I recognize that when facts fail you, it is the only option you had, save perhaps silence.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,978,750 times
Quote:
You know, I had a really good argument all written out to counter what you said. I ate dinner, came back then I erased it all. I decided I didn't want to get into this again. You know I always have something to say Insane. But this time, I can't. It's too much writing, too much effort, too much energy. I already know what's happening. I knew it would. I told you guys too many times to count. It's like, you can say something 100x to someone, and they will never get it if they do not want to listen. What I see is, every time one of these events happen, there's always some grand excuse made to downplay it. The bible predicted that the earthquakes would begin to strike various places where you would have never thought and they did and will continue. Next up, I predict that an earthquake will strike near one of us on this forum in one of our cities. We can talk all day about disasters but when they happen to us, it's completely different right? I just know the next strange one will strike near one of us and see what you have to say. I'm out of here.
You should have written it (minus the expected anger).

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with fact on your part. It has to do with BELIEF doesn't it? You want so bad to thrust your belief in the way of fact because you trust in an ancient book that was concerned with the times in which the writers lived, but you believe (contrarily) that some of the details pertain to our times. The fact is, Allen, even if we were not talking about earthquakes, the passages in the bible you are leaning on (found in Matthew 24, Luke 17 and Mark 13 if I recall), were really NOT meant for our times my friend. So, there is no great, wowing predictions made 2,000 years ago we need to put stock in.

That aside, no one here opposing you (at least as far as I can tell) is doing so because they just don't want to believe. They are opposing you because they have VERIFIABLE facts they are working with. You have beliefs. The writers of the Gospels were not scientists, but they lived in an area prone to deadly earthquakes and constant wars and it is not surprising those are the two major "signs" they pointed to as heralding the return of Jesus. That would be equivalent to me predicting snow in Alaska or rain in a rain forest. In fact, I do BELIEVE the Bible when it says there will be earthquakes in DIVERS places but it was/is not telling us anything that doesn't ALREADY happen so it is not earth shattering.

We ALL agree there are earthquakes going on, but what you see as something unprecedented, your opponents see as NORMAL whether you ever knew it or not. It would be the height of arrogance for you or I to come here and base ALL earth's history and geology around our SHORT life span as basis for what we THINK is going on when there is clear evidence of patterns to make educated and scientific conclusions. This is NOT about belief my friend. This is about facts. Some of us prefer the latter.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Obviously to disagree with your point is what you consider nasty, even filthy . You stated that this 'rare' earthquake was a clear signal the end of times is here. The all caps scream fest was amusing, but even in it you persisted how this was a clear sign.

How inconvenient that others have posted facts about the area being fairly active seismically for a long time.

If you choose to try and say that a truly rare event is a sign of something, I'll agree it was a rare event, but I'll really question if it is a sign of anything or merely one of the data points far from the normal plot.

Now take a rather normal event and label it rare, and a sign, expect to have that call challenged as the nonsense it is.

PS: I'll stand by my previous words, a reaction to your all caps rant, supported by reason. Humorous that you turned a statement you wouldn't attack into an attack, but I recognize that when facts fail you, it is the only option you had, save perhaps silence.
An off topic question: What do you mean by "children are delicious"...?

Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,880,703 times
Quote:
But didn't you hear this was a rare earthquake? I'm not sure whether they always have tremors but I am absolutely sure that there's barely earthquakes! Especially on the eastern side. I lived in Montreal awhile back and I never experienced tremors nor earthquakes. So all this is news to me!
Rare in this case only refers to the fact that magnitude 5.0 quakes are RARE in that old Canadian Shield geotechnical zone, which coincidentally is exactly the word used in this report. And that is the only reason it got reported, not that God is coming with His holy Troy-Bilt™ roto-tiller!

So, nope: not "massive", not a "premonition", not particularly "life threatening" or "awesome" or "damaging", or frankly anything other than "Rare". As in statistically infrequent in this case. More like seeing a mint-condition '67 MGB or even better and MGC coupe drive by nowadays! (you don't know what I"m talking about I"m sure...). i.e.: RARE.

FYI: a "5.0" is 10 X 10 X 10 times less movement and velocity than the damaging Northridge quake (≈8.0), which I'm sure you guys also saw as the end of all worldy existence. Whatever happened there? I, as a rabidly evil atheist, seem to have survived it quite nicely thank you. Add another "10X" to that intensity calculation above, and that's how much LESS energy the Quebec quake had than the Haitian one (nearly 9.0!).

Point is, you and Betsey and others here tend to conflate any unusual earthquake or volcanic activity as a distinct and hoped-for precursor for your End Times. Which, apparently, you ETrs all live for, dream of and want to see as raining Godly destruction down on us vile disbelievers.

Meantime, level 5.0 quakes happen all over this planet many times each day, just not usually in the Canadian Sheild. Oh............. My. .............God, huh?

Quote:
Well I see the bile rose to the back of your mouth, but geez louise, earthquakes on this old rock are quite normal, some places more so than others, even felt them here in Asheville (please learn to spell it) and it was just another sign that things are going along quite normally on our little obscure planet, circling a somewhat insignificant sun, in a mediocre galaxy, in a rather unremarkable part of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
Ahhh c'mon, Asheville. I like to feel that at least the polar bears and whales are worth at least some recognition more than this....
You are correct, I cannot deny that an earthquake occurred, but there is nothing about that to "sweep under the rug", and that brings up a very important question. SO WHAT?

Go sit in your cellar with impending doom circling in your mind, I have more optimistic activities to pursue, in fact I think I'll go get a beer and kick back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
Might I join you? Apparently the pub will be righteously deserted, and the drinks free....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
So quite frankly, if you don't believe... and it's all "SO WHAT" to you, why are you here? Just curious... Now I know why Insane's here., but not you. Why?

[rflmn™ notes: V. good answer follows:...]

Quote:

OK, irrational paranoia needs the balance of rational debate and some actual facts. You keep referring to you have "work" to do in spreading the paranoia, I (and others) offer a counterpoint, that the undecided might use their ability to think and decide based on fact vs. hype.

Ye' old Point vs. Counterpoint
aka: Truth versus Mass Hysteria. Scientific Literacy versus....well, you know. Intellectual honesty versus Intentional Mis-Representations. Calm versus Mob Reactionism. Clarity versus Fuzzy-headed Reactionism. Cautious Evaluations versus GORE™* There's more, but this should explain it I think...

(*Grossly Over-Reaching Exaggerations)

...is why.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,440,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
An off topic question: What do you mean by "children are delicious"...?
Ya know, you can post tripe like this all day long, but since you can't quote me saying that, and yet your religious born hatred and desperation demands you do something to strike out at truth, it shows just how desperate some are to support the unsupportable.

I suspect you don't represent the god you believe you represent, and if he actually existed, would smite your down for such blind hatred.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Ya know, you can post tripe like this all day long, but since you can't quote me saying that, and yet your religious born hatred and desperation demands you do something to strike out at truth, it shows just how desperate some are to support the unsupportable.

I suspect you don't represent the god you believe you represent, and if he actually existed, would smite your down for such blind hatred.
Forgive me for peaking into your profile...it's a common practice by all who participate in this forum to inquire about a poster...no malicious intent, really!
I read the "about me" section and just wanted to clarify...

P.S. I don't belong to any "religious" denom or non-denom... Again...I'm truly sorry...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM

7,708 posts, read 12,558,763 times
Quote:

SILENCE??!!! YOU MUST NOT KNOW WHO I AM!! I AM YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE BUDDY. I WILL NEVER SILENCE MY MOUTH FOR NOTHING!! YOU THINK YOU'VE WON SOMETHING ASHEVILLE??! ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?? I'M ALWAYS GOING TO PUT YOU ON BLAST BECAUSE THAT'S WHO I AM!!

*Breathes*

Now I can talk calmly and rationally with you. I've had it with you. I'm really up to my breaking point. You live in a nowhere town and sit in your nowhere house spouting all kinds of ignorance of things you have no idea about. First of all, take it from someone who's actually lived in Canada, I never experienced not even the smallest bit of tremors nor earthquakes. Not even my relatives! And I have a hella bunch of relatives in Canada! This was the very first!

Quote:
Yeah. Others that have never step foot in Canada is giving me info about an area I have PERSONALLY lived in, being seismically active when you conveniently forgot about reports from ACTUAL EASTERN CANADIAN CITIZENS that report never having felt an earthquake there before!! It doesn't make any freaking sense that an area is "seismically active" when the last time something exploded or had a quake was 30-40-50 years ago. How the hell does that make it "active"? Before this quake happened, no one had any crap to say about it. No one ever said it was a seismically active before. Now all of a sudden Eastern Canada is a hotspot for earthquakes?! Get a life!!

Quote:
So now your contradicting yourself?! Now all of sudden you admit it's a rare event but you were just trying to tell me that the earthquake epicenter is a seismically active zone and has them all the time?!

Quote:
Now you contradict yourself twice?!! You just said you agree this was a rare event but now your saying it's a normal event?! WTH!!

Quote:
Humorous what a contradicting little hypocrite you are. My response to your post was a direct attack on you because you directly attacked me first with your "bile of something-something coming out of my mouth" crapshooter insult. You have a completely vile way with words and it is insulting and demeaning to the person you are responding to. If they are respectful, you should be too. But you didn't do that! You didn't want to be respectful. You wanted to get smart with me and out of line like you swear you know something. Well guess what? You must not know I run this. And I run you. You want to know how I run you? Because your always responding to me. That's right. Me. Because I keep you in check! Just like all the other Atheist I also run! Your my favorite groupies because I can say one thing, and all of you begin to respond to me like a ripple all based on the fact that I believe in Jesus Christ and you don't. It's amazing how you can see everybody else as crazy but when it comes to you, you can't even see your own folly. Look at your status. You have incredible nerve. To insult those around you as if they are ignorant and you are some kind of super genius. If your town or the people around you bother you so much, why don't you do yourself a favor - or better yet them - a favor and move the hell away?

But back to the subject, like I said about 10,000X on this forum. There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, that I - a little random human being in this universe, need to prove to you. It will be proven. Again and again. Just like today. Well I think now I'm going to out and sit on my big relaxing couch and catch a great movie! I was thinking popcorn and caramel? Sprite perhaps? What do you think?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,175,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Forgive me for peaking into your profile...it's a common practice by all who participate in this forum to inquire about a poster...no malicious intent, really!
I read the "about me" section and just wanted to clarify...

P.S. I don't belong to any "religious" denom or non-denom... Again...I'm truly sorry...
I love checking out people's profiles. That's the first thing I do when I see a new poster.

And I do not belong to any church, either.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I love checking out people's profiles. That's the first thing I do when I see a new poster.

And I do not belong to any church, either.
A kindred spirit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity