U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,117,180 times
Reputation: 2840

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Almost where??? My conclusions were already grounded in physics. Do x and x will happen. Simple as that. This WITHIN NORMAL patterns of weather.
It is sad to see some people refuse to learn from history. People once thought that an eclipse of the sun was "the gods" doing it to punish them. I can see some people still attribute cycles and patterns to random acts of an angry god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
This WITHIN NORMAL patterns of weather.
AND - records are MADE to be broken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Betsy - do believe the literal moon will be turned into literal blood?

Just curious.
Am I on ignore or something? It's a simple yes or no question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,711,233 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
AND - records are MADE to be broken!
Very true. Betsey may think I am agreeing with frequency as opposed to intensity WITHIN what has always been normal. There has and will always be ebbs and flows within weather patterns which when these FLOWS happen in any generation, some run wild with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:31 PM
 
5,408 posts, read 4,659,683 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Very true. Betsey may think I am agreeing with frequency as opposed to intensity WITHIN what has always been normal. There has and will always be ebbs and flows within weather patterns which when these FLOWS happen in any generation, some run wild with it.
This old world hasn't seen anything yet; things are going to get much worse (Source: Revelation). Australia is currently dumbfounded, but they aren't alone.

The more people dismiss God's judgements, the more they will have to try to dismiss because the judgments are going to keep coming. Some will heed the warning; others will go down in a blaze of glory as though their defiance is proving a point; the latter position is suicidal. God reigns and always will; the earth is His footstool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,117,180 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
This old world hasn't seen anything yet; things are going to get much worse (Source: Revelation). Australia is currently dumbfounded, but they aren't alone.

The more people dismiss God's judgements, the more they will have to try to dismiss because the judgments are going to keep coming. Some will heed the warning; others will go down in a blaze of glory as though their defiance is proving a point; the latter position is suicidal. God reigns and always will; the earth is His footstool.
How does one heed this warning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,711,233 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
This old world hasn't seen anything yet; things are going to get much worse (Source: Revelation). Australia is currently dumbfounded, but they aren't alone.
Just do a quick search in Google and you can find that these floods have occurred in Australia within the past 150, 100, and 30 years. People are dumbfounded because (like Hurricane Wilma and Andrew in Florida) a major flood has not happened in THEIR lifetime or did not happen in THEIR area of the country or happened in a time BEFORE the technology we have today.

Quote:
The more people dismiss God's judgements, the more they will have to try to dismiss because the judgments are going to keep coming. Some will heed the warning; others will go down in a blaze of glory as though their defiance is proving a point; the latter position is suicidal. God reigns and always will; the earth is His footstool.
Great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,232,954 times
Reputation: 8261
This rock we call home is billions of years old, and to try and say that what we observe during the very brief time humans have inhabited this rock is absurd, much less during the life time of any individual. Your and my life span on this rock is a mere tick of the second hand of the time the earth has been here.

Averages for anything on this planet can't be measured in years, but are only meaningful if measured over 10's of thousands of years, perhaps 100's of thousands.

The planet will again become uninhabitable due to natural cycles for most life forms currently here. But it will go on and they cycle will again allow vast amounts of life to cover the planet. It likely won't be us, but that's no big deal, as we are nothing special, other than in our own mind.

OBTW, no supernatural forces or deities involved, just life and death on a creaky old rock circling a nondescript sun in a small galaxy in some remote corner of the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,711,233 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This rock we call home is billions of years old, and to try and say that what we observe during the very brief time humans have inhabited this rock is absurd, much less during the life time of any individual. Your and my life span on this rock is a mere tick of the second hand of the time the earth has been here.

Averages for anything on this planet can't be measured in years, but are only meaningful if measured over 10's of thousands of years, perhaps 100's of thousands.

The planet will again become uninhabitable due to natural cycles for most life forms currently here. But it will go on and they cycle will again allow vast amounts of life to cover the planet. It likely won't be us, but that's no big deal, as we are nothing special, other than in our own mind.

OBTW, no supernatural forces or deities involved, just life and death on a creaky old rock circling a nondescript sun in a small galaxy in some remote corner of the universe.
Who are you trying to confuse with these facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This rock we call home is billions of years old, and to try and say that what we observe during the very brief time humans have inhabited this rock is absurd, much less during the life time of any individual. Your and my life span on this rock is a mere tick of the second hand of the time the earth has been here.

Averages for anything on this planet can't be measured in years, but are only meaningful if measured over 10's of thousands of years, perhaps 100's of thousands.

The planet will again become uninhabitable due to natural cycles for most life forms currently here. But it will go on and they cycle will again allow vast amounts of life to cover the planet.
The above is on the money from my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It likely won't be us, but that's no big deal, as we are nothing special, other than in our own mind.

OBTW, no supernatural forces or deities involved, just life and death on a creaky old rock circling a nondescript sun in a small galaxy in some remote corner of the universe.
I really can't completely grasp the reasoning here. Being physically small is one thing but the facts indicate that we are very unique (AKA "special") as an inhabited planet. That is, we haven't found all the others out there which would make us non-unique.

Although I do understand that maybe in an atheists mind it all exists through random chance and therefore isn't special - although it IS special?

Maybe this is for another thread though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top